Solomone Kata

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I think SK didn't want to push CNK into a high pressure situation as a rookie, so he kept Kata there until he could sign an experienced replacement. That's Kearneys process with regards to blooding rookies.

Kata was the incumbent center so all the pressure went on him, with CNK free to develop in reserves and pop up only when there was no way Kata could make the field.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

2. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Kata needs to trust his inside players and push Ken out wide enough so that he can use the side line against the Raiders winger.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

But he stays on the Raiders 6 and leaves Ken with a 2 on 1 over lap... Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

The strategy is to engage Hoffman in a tackle and then spin wide to Kata's edge and exploit the misread...... Works every time.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  3. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

I'm not prepared to write Kata off yet. Was near on our best last year and played well for the kiwis. Didn't look right this year and obviously there were off field issues for him.

Hopefully the off season gets him back in the right space of mind as 2016 Kata is a hell of a lot better than either Beale or Ayshford:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

No chance ! Kata will be horrendously out of form but play all 26 rounds

Beale will be captain of the ISP team ..whhhaaaaaattttttt

5. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

No, not being insensitive but I believe it's an acknowledged challenge with English. Manu coddled Kata in Tongan. Now Vatuvei is gone it's shows..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  6. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

Kata will hold his spot.
    Beale will start in ISP or go in for Ayshford and Ayshford becomes forward and back utility.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  7. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

CNK has been playing Wing or Fullback at ISP, I don't think they see him as a future centre option.

That doesn't look like the best example to me - if he moves out to take his opposite number the 6 has a huge hole to run through as you can see Ata has already been beaten. I'd say the problem there is more Ken is backing off instead of pushing up on the 4 to cut off the pass option, he basically doesn't change position between your two pictures.

• List
  8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

For me the centers job is to control the edge defense. This is one of many trys that could have been stopped imo.

Force the green player to go inside where there's traffic, and slide to cut off the easy chanell out wide. Kata should have called that play so that his inside defenders knew what to do. But instead he just marks up on the player he wants to tackle and leaves nothing for Ken..

• List

9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

That makes sense to me, the timing as well. Having dealt a bit with non English speakers they are most at risk under real pressure and Ken is Samoan which might not help either. Memo for the recruitment department.

10. Aceh
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2016

Aceh U20's Player

In principle I agree with you 100% Jonno, but in this example Orca has a point. Austin is already on the outside of Hingano and if Kata goes wider Austin goes through. It's a no win situation on this occasion for Kata

• List
  11. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Looked well down on pace this year- too much weights and not enough speed work bro.
    It was his pace (and ball greediness) that made him such a prolific try scorer. Without it he's limited to the old barge over from dummy half.
    Hopefully this new fitness guru can sort that out. There's a couple of other guys too.

12. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

It's not exactly an idea I would support but it fits with the Warriors always swapping players positions.
    With Beale and maybe Hiku coming what if he was turned into a second rower for next season.
    He's small for the position but he's bigger than some of our props at the moment.
    If he came on for short stints he could add a real attacking threat and should be able to handle the defensive work load for small amounts of time.

13. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Sione mata'utia style?

14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Weights is easy meat for Polynesians.

15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Hopefully the club get Kata the mental help he needs. I've been his biggest critic but he is much better than what he's been playing lately. Good preseason might be just what he needs. Hopefully one with a lot of draw and pass practice...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  16. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Agreed, but playing him in FG isn't going to help his mental situation.

• List
  17. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Didn't need that pressure that's for sure. Not a head doctor but sometimes they do argue for normalcy after tragic events. Not sure there's anything normal about playing NRL. Especially when you aren't playing well and are bound to read and hear what fans are thinking and saying...

• List
  18. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

It worked with Foran... oh wait

19. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

I honestly believe Kata can be a damaging winger

His natural instincts is not to pass so why bother wasting time developing that area

Turn him into a damaging ball hogging try scoring winger!!

Mini beast 3.0 !

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

He is too short, apparently, according to the experts, so why was he signed?