Player Discussion Stephen Kearney V2.0

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Yes

2. Undecided

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rick O'Shay
    Join:
    May 1, 2013

Rick O'Shay 1st Grade Fringe

Eric doesn't care.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List

2. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

Counter-argument: We gave Cappy 2.5 Seasons. That has more relevance to his arse being held close to a torch rather than his 10-24 record for 2016.

We fire Mooks if a coach definitely better in the NRL/ESL suddenly becomes available and is amenable to coming to MSS. So, Sheens/Hasler/Toovey. Henry's had too many failures, as sorry for the bloke as I am for being fired over the Hayne Lazy Arse incident. Elliott wasn't definitely better than McLennan, in fact, just looking at NRL/ESL results - forget for a minute the "he profitted from the previous coach's bloody hard, thankless work taking the team through the rebuild, signing players, dropping players, getting off-field systems in place etc etc" argument, relevant though that may be with regards to McLennan - he was probably worse.

To sack Mooks for Stacey would definitely fall under "Insanity is doing the same and expecting a different result." We fire Mooks because he didn't give as an expected result after firing Cappy becauuse he didn't give us an expected result - both coaches with nothing at the point of their hiring date to say "Pick Me!" Before someone else says it: We got away with doing that with Daniel Anderson, certainly, finals in his first year. But how seriously did the Aussies take us in 2001 and it come unstuck rather badly - 12-56 badly - against the Eels. And especially if the Aussies did take us seriously in 2001, the chances of that happening again are less than stellar.

Sound of record player needle in same groove/Itunes playing same song over and over etc...:)

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  3. gpred
    Join:
    Sep 23, 2016

gpred 1st Grade Fringe

I agree that maybe we shouldn't fire him. The argument is more that he has not been a good coach this year. And unless you think we were wooden spoon worthy and Kearney did a good job by saving us from the spoon, then IMO it's hard to argue with.

I hope he can turn things around. But the fact that he has started pointing fingers in all directions, suggests to me that even he no longer has faith in his process. If that's the case, things may get worse. Much worse (or maybe better in the event he realizes what he is doing is not working and decides to change).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    • List
  4. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Pointing the finger or calling it as he see's it:

Lack of effort from some players ..... tick
    Players not up to NRL level .... tick

Coaching aside he's right on those two counts.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

For me the issue is that we haven't improved, in fact we have got worse as the season has gone on.

The completion rate and errors suggest that the team are following his dull game plan but he has failed to adapt it throughout the season as well as us badly fading in the back end of the game due to his awful interchange rotation.

If the players aren't up to NRL level why are the likes of Tui and Gubb getting multiple offers?

• List
  6. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

I'd say he's referring to other players, Afoa, Papalii, Hingano straight out of Holden Cup last year and are very green Satae was playing Fox Memorial last season greener still, Bell and Tevaga wouldn't make any other side in the NRL.

Gubb, Lisone, Vete, Kata, Lolohea, Maumalo and Lino would be considered fringe first graders.

It's no surprise the Club are chasing an experienced half to partner SJ, Hingano may become a very good player but he's not ready to hold down a key position yet.

Disregarding Tui who left mid-season there are 12 players who are at best fringe first graders playing for the Warriors and at worst not competent for the NRL.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    • List
  7. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

On NRL 360 Paul Kent made the comment Warriors to to get the spoon next year, but also made a pertinent comment about SK. He bought up the statement SK made that if players didn't put in he would march them out the gate. Never happened did it. He compared it to McGregor dropping Dugan for missing the bus. McGregor is setting the standard where is SK is not. Its like the emperors got no clothes, everyone we can see it except the morons who are closest to it.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List
  8. kabkram
    Join:
    Oct 21, 2015

kabkram 1st Grade Fringe

Yes this is a team SK has inherited and into which he's had fark all input into squad wise, but dammit on paper at least its a pretty decent xvii . Yes there was a fragility to the forward pack, but he should've been able to deliver more than Cappy and that was the only way he was going to attract the caliber of player needed going forward. Let's face it he's tanked this year and I hold grave fears we are almost favorites for the wooden spoon next year. But my biggest fear is we'll allow him to sign players like Blair on Manu like contracts ie too much too long, and then we'll sack him half way through next season leaving a new coach a bigger headache than the one SK inherited.
    For the record I never wanted him or thought we'd have any success under him but I lived and hoped

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List

9. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Yep he sounds like an ex footballer pretending to be an NRL coach. Got all the coaches speak otherwise known as bullshit down pat

10. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

I still reckon there is a combination of players at the club that if chosen would have put up better performances.

If you want to play Kata then you need someone that talks on his outside.

If you want to play Maumalo then you need someone that talks on the inside.

Why the fuck would Kearney play them together? And why would this combination be his first picked if all are healthy?

My ideal line up is what we played against the Roosters (R9) in what was probably our best defensive effort the whole season.

2. CNK
    3. Fusitua
    4. Ayshford
    5. Maumalo

When I give some more shits I will write about the lack of go forward, the use of the interchange, and the lack of offloads.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

So other than all of the above your happy with SK LOL

12. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

i wonder if when it was time to hire a coach, money was the biggest factor? Most would have prefered a coach with an established track record, but no once again the warriors took on a rookie. Did Watson know about his upcoming financial issues or is it possible that he was tired of putting into the club and was not prepared to pay a decent salary for a decent coach.

In saying that i believe that their have been toxic players in the club for some time now. No real player leadership, but plenty of talent and poor recruitment. I'm for giving him till Blueys round, by then we should be able to see a difference.

13. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

To be fair Warriorball, it doesnt take a genius to figure that out.

Lack of effort and players not up to standard

Wow, what a fucking revelation... would never have thought that was the case (massive sarcasm in case it wasnt obvious !)

SK was hired to fix that shit not tell us what we have known for the last 5 years!

If his "process" took him a whole season to figure that out you know we are well and truely fucked next year

• List
  14. Rilakkuma
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Rilakkuma 1st Grade Fringe

Who remembers his mantra at the beginning of the preseason "Above the line!"
    His job in his own words was to make sure the players and coaches were "above the line" . I wonder at what stage during the season he forgot about his line because I doubt that we were anywhere near that line nor were we above it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Rumour was at the time that the Warriors had to offer a big deal to Kearney to entice him to leave the Broncos to come to NZ. And he wanted a longer deal than those usually offered to 'rookies' as such hence the 3 year deal.

I wonder what the reasons were for the club when they rejected him in favour of Cappy a few years back.

Also wonder why we are only signing kiwis. Is it Kearney's policy or from higher up. Or the only players that are interested in playing under him are predominantly players from Kiwis squad when he was in charge. Has there been a time in the club's history where we have struggled so bad to hire Australians?

Not a fan of his based on murmurs about him, or his excuses and steadfastness in continuing to be stubborn, but i hope he does well next year. Atleast for the future of the club. If he fails so miserably again the club will be in a deeper hole.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  16. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

NOW MICHAEL MCGUIRE IS ALSO AVAILABLE

But Jim Doyle will persevere with The Process because he doesn't want to admit he was wrong.

• List
  17. gpred
    Join:
    Sep 23, 2016

gpred 1st Grade Fringe

Yes and I think everybody agrees on that. It's a total no brainier that we have some players not pulling weight and others who aren't up to it.

It's whether or not pointing the finger publicly is the right way to address your players efforts. Personally I see that as a sign he does not know what else to do. Which is worrying.

The other thing that is a concern for most is that he is calling players out for a lack of effort and then doing nothing about it in many cases. He had plenty of opportunity to send some messages by dropping players who weren't putting the effort in. With the season over a long time ago, it didn't matter that the players replacing them weren't great. Besides a 2nd rate player putting in huge effort his probably going to be at least as good as an overweight, unmotivated and poorly skilled Kata, for example.

But instead of making some statements through selection, he chose to have a passive aggressive sulks in the media. And it's pretty clear from our results that it didn't achieve anything other than maybe make things worse.

So just tell me what did Kearney do a great job of this year? There must be something? And can that question be answered without first throwing out a bunch of excuses? I guess what I am asking is there any area where Kearney took what he had to work with and got more out of it than an average coach would have?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • List
  18. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

If the club had any balls and any idea they would get Maguire lined up and sack Kearney.

The cost of getting a wooden spoon vs paying out Kearney makes it an easy decision.

Another year with Kearney as coach is suicide and not only will we finish last we will play this pathetic brand of football which has turned all the fans off. We arent even worth watching now.

• List
  19. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

Surely it would make sense to bring in someone like Maguire as a coaching mentor? Then that way if we get to round 6 next year with a 1 and 5 record he can take over the reins.

• List
  20. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

Excellent post. I feel the same to the point I don't think I can watch the Warriors until SK is punted. However, come next season I will because the Warriors is my team.

As you say, I've seen nothing to suggest that he has the ability to turn things around. Hence, he has to go.

Hopefully we are all proven wrong.