Player Discussion Stephen Kearney V2.0

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Yes

2. Undecided

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PNG Kiwi
    Join:
    Apr 11, 2016

PNG Kiwi Warriors Bench Player

Whatever we do lets stop playing musical chairs with coaching, if we have an opportunity to bring in a strong Director of football who has got football smarts that would be good. Maybe he could handle the post game interviews.
    A change of ownership might have ideas to improve things but whatever they do will be a big sell to get a lot of fans back.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Yep, 6 years of hell and what have we got a trail littered with sacked coaches and a hybrid roster with everyone's fingerprints on it, throw in players not up to scratch and it's a disaster.

Having to teach the basics to NRL players is a total fucking joke! yet we're all having a whinge because we're not in the top 8, why because we have the Kiwi's spine lol.

What I really wanted out of Kearney this season was to blow up the roster to begin the rebuild. I've taken a long term view because I can see a short term view won't change a damn thing.

I wanted to see the mongrel return to our forward pack, it's a work in progress but adding Tohu, Blair and Pulu and extending Gavet's contract put's the aggression back into our middle something Warriors packs have always been known for.

I look at a Warriors player and ask would he get a start in one of the better NRL sides, if not then he should have no place in our top 17, that's another area that needs addressing re-recruitment.

Coaching is largely about recruitment, we've got the drum beating now for Madge, he recruited a roster that won a premiership in '14 then lost a lot of those quality players and has since watched his side slide down the ladder over the past couple of seasons, that's the game, the difference with us is we just keep embedding new coaches every year like a fucken babushka doll then sit back and expect a miracle.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  3. #robbiemears
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

#robbiemears 1st Grade Fringe

For anyone who still professes confidence in Kearney being both capable and qualified to turn this club around, clean out the roster, and rebuild with the right mix of players and personalities, just cast your minds back to his reign at the Eels. This is what was being said about him AT THE TIME!

From The Age ( Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.):
    BESIEGED coach Stephen Kearney fronted a disgruntled group of Eels fans at Parramatta's annual general meeting last night, pleading with them to believe in his vision.
    There were no excuses, just a heartfelt plea to the Parramatta faithful to stick by the embattled football team he said should be striving for the top four on a yearly basis.
    After chairman Roy Spagnolo spent the first hour of the night discussing matters relating to the operation of the leagues club, the elephant in the room was finally addressed.

Almost 1000 club members waited in anticipation to hear what Kearney had to say, and when he got up, so too did his players. After Kearney, skipper Nathan Hindmarsh and recruitment manager Peter Nolan addressed the large gathering, it was open to the members to ask the questions they'd been yearning to hear answered.

It didn't take long, the second question to be exact, before Kearney found himself under fire. ''I'm sorry, I just can't support the coach Stephen Kearney,'' one member said before a handful of fans began applauding. He continued, saying, ''From the moment you came to the club'', but Spagnolo intervened and deemed the member's comments inappropriate.

The unhappy Parramatta fan later went on to question the style of play the Eels have adopted under Kearney, questioning the decision to play a ''one-out'' brand of rugby league, which Kearney disagreed with. ''If you look at last year, you'll have to ask Matty Keating and the forwards, but I don't believe we were running one-out,'' Kearney replied. ''You might think that but if I go into the details of the game plan and how we want to play the game, we'll be here all night. But we're not running one-out, mate."

From the Herald Sun: ( Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.)
    THE Parramatta Eels are struggling to make any impact in this year's premiership because coach Stephen Kearney has turned his players into unimaginative robots with little skill, talent or ability. Statistics from the opening three rounds reveal alarming details of how Kearney has shackled the team and turned them into a dull, boring and predictable bunch of easybeats.

Sound familiar?

Kearney is obsessed with this anachronistic idea that high completion rates, and therefore low error rates, are the golden ticket to success. Only they're not. Quite clearly. The Warriors made the second least number of errors in 2017. Only Manly made more. Yet their attack was awful. The fourth worst in the league.

These days, there is NO correlation between errors and success. In fact, errors generally suggest that a team is taking some attacking risks, necessarily to score points. Kearney doesn't get this now, and he didn't get it at the Eels.

Ironically, the EXACT same issues that besieged him at Parramatta are befalling him now at the Warriors. And the same tired excuses around poor rosters are being trotted out. It's a well-worn record. Yet, Kearney doesn't seem to have the depth of introspection to recognise (or admit) that his approach may not be right.

In the end, the Eels had no choice but to sack Kearney (read this for why: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.).

It was said at the time that: The Eels have gone backwards since Kearney controversially replaced Daniel Anderson the season after Anderson took the Eels to the 2009 grand final. Kearney’s had two years and the best junior nursery in the game to turn the club into a competitive force. Instead they’ve been the easy beats of the competition.

What's more, it was noted that His off-season signings have been a disaster.

Yep, history is repeating itself.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 13
    • List
  4. Mr Frank White
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Mr Frank White 1st Grade Fringe

Parra was a basket case at the time too tho.

Too many people want their shit teams to suddenly win the comp, or be like Broncos or Storm, without the ground work that it takes.

People went mental because Bluey said all we need to do is out score the opposition, which he said probably because we were incapable of defending properly.

I'd actually like the warriors to be a proper NRL, one that can win 60-0, as well as 6-0.

Where did Acklands U20s dominance get us? A whole bunch of juniors who can't play NRL... I'm glad they are getting hammered every week now, should get decent tackling practice in.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Yes they were a basket case abely assisted by a basket case of a coach. Remember only to well his tenure.
    Talk to any Parra fan and SK's in the Gold Medal class of dud coaches, more so than Ricky Stuart.
    U20's was a disaster, we're still paying for it now. Hard to fathom you get to that level and you think tackle is
    something you go fishing with.

6. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

History sure is repeating itself. Same goes for the apologists on this forum talking up Kearney's garbage signings for 2018. Some people never learn.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  7. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Matt Elliott came here and repeated the same mistakes he was criticised for in previous jobs, selecting favourites and confusing players. Now here we are with Kearney and all our debate sounds like the Eels fans from a few years back. This is worrying.

The club won't sack him. They have admitted to sacking coaches all the time has probably done some harm and that it probably would make recruiting anyone else difficult as they wouldn't get time to make the necessary changes unless they get instant results. Sacking him would also be an admission of guilt by management.

Now if we gut the squad and have a more balanced squad next year and we still sound like Eels fans its a bit of a worry. Again we'd have a coach who hasn't learnt from past mistakes.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  8. Leaguegod
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2015

Leaguegod 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Shit! SK has no 'SELF AWARENESS' ! ha it is Ironic that as a player his hands were an issue and now as some sort of sick form of redemption he wants his players to make up for his historic mistakes, fuck we need a time machine.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

9. Worried2Death
    Join:
    Mar 6, 2016

Worried2Death 1st Grade Fringe

I'm starting to seriously question Steve's sanity, and I'm the least qualified person I know to do that.

This has a familiar feel to when we last had a clinically mad coach, without actually naming them all.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

Mate you wouldn't be happy if we signed Cam Smith ;)

11. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

I'd make an exception for Cameron... although he is getting on in age

12. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

Good onya, I like that you set the bar so high but with the hole we're in beggars can't be choosers.

• List
  13. gpred
    Join:
    Sep 23, 2016

gpred 1st Grade Fringe

I'm hardly qualified either, but seems clinically deluded to me.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Worried2Death
    Join:
    Mar 6, 2016

Worried2Death 1st Grade Fringe

Should we do some kind of intervention bro... yeah nah might get another beer.

15. gpred
    Join:
    Sep 23, 2016

gpred 1st Grade Fringe

Can't you get someone committed if you get the right signatures? Might be the clubs best hope ;)
    You're right, a beer sounds like a better idea.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. gpred
    Join:
    Sep 23, 2016

gpred 1st Grade Fringe

Can someone maybe write one of those intervention letters to Steve, where we tell him how his choices and actions are making us feel ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

To be serious for a moment - there's a heap of players I'd love for the club to sign, but as you say - we're not exactly a first choice destination right now. Stepping back a year, I was disgusted when we signed Foran - that bloke should never have been allowed anywhere near the club. For a club struggling with culture, to bring him in was a huge mistake. I lost all faith in management at that point and it's going to take a lot more than us signing Blair and Beale to turn my opinions around.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  18. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

Are we likely to see Tohu playing at 6 next year, like he has for the kiwis!.

19. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

Fair enough, if you didn't carry more than a few scars as a Warriors supporter then you wouldn't be human. Foran was a mistake, I think Doyle's admitted that in the end, I'm glad to see he's stepped back from football operations anyway.

20. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Yep huge mistake offered fuck all. All he did was keep a ISP half out of 1st Grade who would be around more than
    5 minutes

• List