Player Discussion Stephen Kearney V2.0

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Yes

2. Undecided

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

He is the best kiwi international coach , a lot of people think that's not worth much but to think about the era of dominance Kearney established from 2008-2014 is quite impressive , he know how to beat the best players in Aus with the best talent from NZ and hopefully he can translate that success into the warriors

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

That has to be balanced. His record is no better than Frank Endacott for the Kiwis and he had Wayne Bennett helping in a lot of the games. Even in football there is little correlation between international and club success. Looking at pure stats a Martian would ask why Bluey got sacked from the Warriors and Kearney is still there.

I am not knocking the guy, I admire him immensely, but this club and the game in NZ have taken a Hail Mary punt on him as Warriors coach. Not only do I hope it pays off, it has to pay off or else the club is in terminal strife.

3. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

SK has had a season to mold his own squad pretty much. The other factor we don't know is the effect Brian Smith will have. I will be very surprised if there isn't improvement. The question is how that improvement translates into wins.

4. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

I want the Warriors to do well but i want to see this bumbling idiot fail and get kicked out. Really puts me in a pickle.

5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

If you listen to Pozza Brian Smith will definitely have an effect. Just what the effect will be will soon be obvious. I think it will take time for Smith's influence to show behind the scenes. It is whether he will provide any assistance to Kearney on game plans that could be crucial
    Kearney may not be an decent NRL coach but he is definitely not a bumbling idiot. He is a very intelligent guy and widely respected in the game.

6. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

One thing you can be certain of if Smith has any influence there will be lots of tries scored. Our attack should improve out of sight

7. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

I’d suggest a third option..... trying to increase the value of the club in an attempt to get it closer to the $20 mil. rumoured sale price.

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

That makes good sense, as long as you plan to sell in 2023. Just saying like, but is does sound sensible.

9. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Funny but for some dumb reason I thought that Corvo and Smith were already on the pay roll. From what I’ve heard, expect an announcement about a new recruitment manager before the season starts.

10. davewjnz
    Join:
    Mar 10, 2013

davewjnz 1st Grade Fringe

Dude, we were saying those same lines last year
    Parra use to be my team before the Warriors so in a way I've seen Kearney already.
    Nothing he did last year suggested he had improved since Parra.
    Like yourself I was hoping he had and I still hope he has a better year this year but I don't get it aye
    How can you go back to learning under the best coaches yet remain the same?
    How can you spend all that time in the Storm system yet have nothing to offer at a coaching level?
    Be interesting to see how Ryan Hoffman (as a player) goes this year back in the Storm system

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  11. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Mate same as you Parra my Sydney team. SK was an absolute disaster at the Eels. NFI. Let’s hope for our sakes
    he’s learnt plenty from his mistakes.
    Hoffman will kill it at the Storm this year. Reckon he’ll wind the clock back

12. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Granted SK didn't go well at Parra but then their Senior Execs, board and management were a complete disaster too.
    Hoffman will suck at the Storm this time and will be reduced to a bench player..

13. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

The Hoff will play a mentoring role at the Storm. Hopefully he’ll have players listening this time.

Good bloke. I wish him the best.

14. Pricey
    Join:
    Mar 2, 2016

Pricey Warriors Bench Player

I predict Hoff scores a try vs the warriors and ta's for one more and he makes more metres than any warrior forward.. Everyone knows you leave the warriors you get so much better

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  15. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

It seems somebody in the power mix is getting serious about this club. Should have happened in 2011 but better late than never. If I were SK would be spending a lot of time talking to Brian Smith.

16. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Suppose it’s ground hog day at the Warriors. The same issues SK had at the Eels are not unlike the issues
    at the Warriors. Unfortunately I don’t think the Warrior issues are going to change over night. So we’ll never
    really know whether he’s a first grade coach or not.

17. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

The only way that's going to happen is if the team do several 2018 versions of what apparantly happened before the 2013 win over the Broncos - the senior players claim (and I'm in no position to call them liars, obviously) that they more or less got into a huddle and told the younger players "screw what Matty said, follow us, boys!"

So: What you want is for the Warriors to do well and for it to be because the players deliberately didn't play to SK's gameplan(s).

Of course, if I'm coach and thought something was up, I'd be claiming credit as soon as the final whistle sounds. That'd be interesting - a press conference where the coach and captain get into an argument with each other about who's game plan won them the game...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

The only problem with that was that Matt Elliott was a useless coach and we had some leadership on the field. The leadership now are all SK voters, maybe except for Johnson and Mannering.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

Which puts Johnson in a pickle, as he's hardly been a shining light recently (some of that his fault, some of that not) so he's probably not got every player on board his boat. Mannering...Solid, dependable, frankly my favourite Warrior as of today (I'll hold judgement on the new signings until mine eyes have seen the glory or lack therof) but I was never overly convinced he was captain material - in fact, he's probably better without the c - and that might have hamstrung him in the leadership stakes.

Let's not forget Elliott had the Raiders and Panthers behind him - who was the poster who reckoned Elliott screwed up the Panthers juniors (and I think he said he didn't do anything for the Raiders in that regard either?) and he'd do the same to us. To compare Elliott and Kearney is unfair on Kearney at this point, but it becomes relevent if he has a second crap year here. The Broncos game of 2013 reminds me of a rumour that the Warriors deliberately lost to the Dragons in their last game of 2013 so that Elliott couldn't claim any credit for them making the Top 8 (we would have have maybe made 8 had we won, IIRC we had to beat the Dragons and hope the Panthers lost which wasn't likely). Of course, for the benefit of entertaining this conspiracy, let's blissfully ignore the undeniable fact that we never - ie haven't since 1996 - win Away to the Dragons anyway. If that rumour is true and if some of the senior players behind that performance are still around, Mr Kearney could be led "This way, Mooks! Trust me!" style onto a landmine.....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  20. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay Warriors 5th Grader

He doesnt come across as someone who could easily be led...and seems to look like he wants to control the communication to the public. If you look at his post match he has his eyes deeply into Roger's soul whilst RTS speaks looking intensely on as to make sure Roger parrots what he wants him to say.

Nowonder its a fucking borefest hearing the sane cliches over and over again. Kinda like the playing style he has instilled.

I just hope he really means it when he says form and preseason will dictate who is in the top 17. But im resigned to that fact he will keep picking same underperforming undeserving players again citing how we only lost by single digits against knights etc...or covering up for our mindless wingers who dont stay outside abd claim that the try was made on the back of a defensive error 80 metres upfield on the other side of the minute 20 minutes earlier...or that he is giving the same players an opportunity to redeem themselves because that same lot looked good in the trials against the oppositions reserve graders...

Ughh just thinking bout him makes my blood boil lol. Hope to be proven wrong about him...but im more resigned to him making us even more boring with bigger excuses and will still see out his 3 year contract.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List