Player Discussion Stephen Kearney V2.0

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Yes

2. Undecided

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

With the pending hiring of Brian Smith you would have to think that if we have another rubbish start to the season
    SK won’t be there. Smith is the insurance policy

2. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

I think Hoffman will have the same impact as Nate Myles had for the storm

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito Warriors 1st Grader

I don’t think he bought all these players to have them sit behind the leftover detritus from last year. Now whether they are any better, will see, but think the team will look pretty different. Barring injury.

4. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno Water boy Contributor

It must be really weird as a player coming from a system that works so well, everyone is doing extras, doing their jobs, they defend together, have an amazing structure and have the best leadership group in the comp.

Then you come over here, 75 percent of the players are doing the bare minimum, there is no cohesion, we have dumb footy players they make terrible decisions, we have crap structure and fuck all leadership with next to no go forward.

I think Hoffman is stoked to head back to the Storm!

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

i dont think that they were doing the bare minimum, i just think that they were like rowers all pulling in different directions.

I am thinking back to the early days of the warriors and remembering the times i used to get frustrated with all the big names in the team. Eventually i decided that the team would be much better without those named players and would be better off with a team of workers who play together. Turns out i was right.

This has once again IMO been the issue. Not since Cleary left have the team all been on the same page, to many superstars and not enough workhorses. I would have liked to see the clean out be complete. But i acknowledge that those 2 left have the talent. They certainly arent superstars anymore, but do they know it? will they join the workhorses in pulling the same way? I'm pretty sure Simon will but SJ?

To me getting them on board with the rest is the issue that Kearney faces first. The second is putting the right player in the right position. No more names before positions, If RTS would be better playing as a centre then thats where he goes. Whats best for the team first.

6. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

I see Ryan Hoffman and Adam Blair as integral parts of the Melbourne Storm machine while they were there.

BUT not the kind of players you can easily re-locate to other clubs to duplicate that machine.

They, along with Kearney are the exact people you need to carry out the orders and set the tone delivered from above.

When thrust into that "above" position and having to come up with new ideas and game plans, they seem to have not been the same players/coach at all.

7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I was listening to the one of the Kiwi league shows a while back. I cannot remember who was on it. One of them said that apparently a lot of the plays the Storm uses are worked out by Smith, Cronk and Slater. One of the others said that might be so but that Bellyache would still call the shots and if the move didn't come off they would sure as hell know about it.

My point is two things.

One is that playing group is special, and although Munster is going to be a class back replacing Smith and Slater might be very difficult. Queensland might find that as well.

Secondly, and more importantly, Bellyache will listen to outside ideas, even if he does claim the credit. Kearney doesn't have anybody to listen to here of that quality, except maybe Brian Smith now.

8. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

just on your last point of Bellamy listening to his players. I have this hope that the reason that nothing exciting came from Kearny last year was that the player group were in such a poor state that he didnt feel up to giving them anything harder. This year I hope that things are different and that he will push the envelope a bit. After all he has had the best possible training as a coach from the two best ever, and maybe a phone call back to brisi if things start going awry this year.

9. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Bump.

SK says stuff u lot lol.

NRL 360 tonight they showed clips of Corvo.

Then that bit with Kearney saying I'm gonna kick you bleep bleep arse ( from the Sky Doco).

Ben Ikin said he was talking with a South's player about a stat he didn't realise existed....' Effective tackles' the player from South's explained to him that it is the ability to hit and stick on first contact....then wrestle....win the ruck...slow the PTB down.

The player who Ikin wasn't prepared to name said :

" I'll tell you who is excellent at it....the Warriors"...

Get prepared for more 7/1 penalty counts....we are Melbourne Warrior Hybrid....Wrestle.....Wrestle....offload Offload.....

THE PROCESS

Mobile team...every man does Job.

We run and Wrestle them into the ground.....completions....Kick chase....

Strangle then Jungle ball.

Like it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  10. Snoopy
    Join:
    Aug 19, 2017

Snoopy 1st Grade Fringe

Haha - SK is the man. Lucky he didn’t listen to anyone here and executed his own plan. A number of players came here because of his connection.

11. The Truth
    Join:
    Jun 17, 2013

The Truth 1st Grade Fringe

Anyone heard anything about Cappy and SK having a big argument?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Mr Frank White
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Mr Frank White 1st Grade Fringe

Dunno if there's many MMA fans here, but it's funny to see reporters trash the fitness first ethic, when its such a major part of sports, especially fighting.

Joe Rogan talks about Diaz in super respectful tones, in relation to his unbelievable conditioning. Rogan says Diaz will "drag you into the deep water and leave you there"
    That's exactly where the Warriors need to take their fitness to even up the skills difference.

I'd like to see us running other teams ragged, keeping the ball in play, kicking to the corners and pushing teams to breaking point.

13. Chats271
    Join:
    Aug 9, 2017

Chats271 1st Grade Fringe

From the lurker

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  14. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Certainly looks to be the plan.

Same mindset Cleary had when he was here.....use lots of second rowers.

Difference now is we have kids that are Polynesian and are being debunked of the Myth that they will never be as good at defending as a Mannering.

Papalii case in point....last year in round one he suffered badly from the blowout of fg.

Bunty....same issues....try hard...blow out....no one there to give them a fair start in the race like Corvo has.

This place has been so poorly run before Kearney and Smith teamed up
    ...and we got a dedicated independent CEO ( Jim did the right thing there....too close to the inmates).

I can finally understand why Tof Sipley and Satae haven't been picked over those skinny boys.

Paasi will have to really fight to get in there.

Mannering may end up having to fight to get in there ( who knows what's on Kearneys mind).

Lastly, seeing us kick early in the tackle count then try to chase that shit down all day made me think....shiet...keep that up and teams will hate us.

Not fear. ....hate.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  15. #robbiemears
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

#robbiemears 1st Grade Fringe

Yes, Kearney v McFadden. And I know who my money would’ve been on.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Come on boys.

It’s only one game let’s not get too carried away.

Wake me up in Rd 6.

If you lot are still gagging over him and the team are top of the table then fair game.

I will credit where it’s due and eat humble pie.

Until then let’s pull the brakes on SK all of a sudden being the second coming of Christ.

Do we still sack his arse if he goes on to lose the next 5 games?

What if he continues with Kata and Maumalo?

If Lisone gets back into old habits?

If Blair gets suspended for a grubby tackle???

Still a long way to go before he gets my pure unadulterated trust..... I have deep scars.

But yeah I like what I see so far.

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Wonder if Kearney 'Process' was to go for smaller more agile forwards and get in someone like Corvo who he knew could get them super fit and playing the game at high speed? When you look at ALL the other packs out there they are all based primarily on size and strength. The Warriors pack I saw against the Bunnies was primarily based on speed and strength.

Is this the 'PROCESS'???

18. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Kearney's PROCESS has been pretty clear since he started coaching the Kiwis, he's even stated it before in interviews..

19. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

What's interesting is Mick Ennis noted that the warriors have this ability after points scored to just go about there business and get to the kick.
    Maybe that took a year of drilling in to them ala 2017 ...

20. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Weren’t they in the coaches box together afterwards though?