Player Discussion Stephen Kearney V2.0

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Yes

2. Undecided

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

When Daniel Anderson first came to the club he spent his first season of 2001 drilling in the basics. I'm talking basic basics like passing! While the local lads had talent in spades you had players like Ali Lauitiiti who couldn't pass...

2. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

That's not a silly thing to do at all.

A guy like Cooper Cronk has spent probably thousands of hours practicing the basics to get to where he makes it look easy in a grand final or SOO. It all comes down to pressure and muscle memory. When your brain goes into melt down mode, in the dying moments of the big play, you need to have those hours of basics drilled deep into your subconscious if you want to execute with precision.

Tiger Woods is a good case study on drilling the basics. He got so good at it that he'd go through major tournaments without making a single bad swing. Everyone else was just playing for second place. That only happens after loads and loads of brutal reps.

3. Rilakkuma
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Rilakkuma 1st Grade Fringe

I saw a few times in recent Kearney interviews, he was asked whether he made any personal changes this season. The first few times. He says. "Yes, but that is a story for a different time". But one of the recent ones, he says he changed the way he communicates with the other coaches and staff. He does not go into details.

People have commented on him being aloof and a poor communicator. So i wonder if anyone has any insight into his personal change and how it had affected our performances this season.

4. gpred
    Join:
    Sep 23, 2016

gpred 1st Grade Fringe

So perhaps the whole one out no offloads strategy was deliberately done to get us a terrible winning record. This allowed Kearney to get rid of who ever he wanted with minimal fuss, assuming the higher powers had given him the nod that he would be safe.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but I think this one might be true.

5. Juno
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2018

Juno U20's Player

Fitness & nous-wise that was the only strategy that could be used, both of which have been fixed with Corvo & the new recruits. Hence the new strategy & gameplan/s

6. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

What all this shows is that one or two bad eggs in the group can really upset the energy and flow of the group. That’s all it takes to totally fuck up a team.

Foran was a bad egg, so was Mutts and the leaders of the sleeping pill bunch - Thompson and Vatuvei.

The winning formula has been dropping these guys and replacing them with leaders who believed in the coach and know what success looks like and can execute

I also think Wiki was a bad egg in strength and conditioning (i’ve questioned him in the past) and its showed on the field

SK’s strategy, stutters, “process” none of that has changed one bit this season.

But Warriors have gone from 0/9 (record) to now 5-0 (record) simply by cutting the bad eggs that have spoiled the broth. He didn’t do that Parra because the whole broth was already spoilt

Moving Cappy on at the end of this season is another good move. Remove all trace of the bad karma associated with the past.

Um... Stevie..... knock knock you’ve left one out... his first name starts Tony and last name rhymes with pyro....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin One Sock, Two Sock, Red Sock, Blue Sock

Who has hacked jonnojonno 's account?

I think this is pretty bang on. I get the feeling, while results would have been nice last year, that SK had almost accepted that it was a year of starting to lay a foundation. Identifying who he wanted to keep and who he thought he didn't. Which player can follow a plan? Who puts in at training? Who is a positive influence on the younger guys coming through and who isn't? Who fits the culture, the style of play we want to play, will do the hard yards? Is there anyone pushing that player, wanting his spot, do I have depth in the squad.

He got rid of the ones he thought he didn't want and he recruited replacements where he needed and created depth in the squad.

Last year was the reconnaissance. No it's time to attack.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Won't argue with you on the first name, however Tigers seem to be travelling very well despite signing their bad egg Matulino.

9. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Mutts man love for Cleary is strong

Never questioned his ability but his attitude and commitment wasn’t here

If he had that same love for SK he would be tearing it up with us today

What this shows me is if someone doesn’t want to be here you’re better off letting them go rather than paying overs trying to make them stay... $$$$ will only do so much for motivation and commitment

10. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I'm a big believer in learning one skill at a time. Especially with a team work skill like completing sets on demand. It creates a strong pathway in the brains of all the players and allows them to relax a little when the call to complete goes out from the halves.

What's the new skill that's being drilled into the squad this year?

11. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl 1st Grade Fringe

One thing I have noticed and am geting a little annoyed about is actually the lack of kudos SK has gotten so far this year. It seems the vast majority of people/fans/journos have credited Corvo for turning this team around. Now there is no denying Corvo has done a tremendous job and we are reaping the rewards of that, but it takes far more to turn this team around than just fitness. The signings Kearney has made have been key and the likes of Tohu and Blair would have largely been because of the relationship Kearney has with those players (even with good money it wouldve likely taken some convincing to get those guys over here at that time). The change in game plan to suit the teams strengths has been key as well. Also the stubbornness to stick with guys last year is also paying dividends in the long term, as many of those young guys are now a year older/wiser/stronger.

Long story short, credit where credit is due - SK well done and keep up the great work.

12. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I don't know what's happening to me, and I'm very worried.:nailbiting:

13. Snoopy
    Join:
    Aug 19, 2017

Snoopy 1st Grade Fringe

I am 100% with you. People are looking at giving everyone credit but SK. Corvo has done a great job, Smith is only getting started but the guy who is responsible and built the team and culture is SK.

SK decided who he was letting go then signed Harris, Green (most couldn’t see how he fit in), Pulu, Paasi and just as importantly SK re-signed Johnson and the biggest was RTS. He had vision there and built a strong team without throwing $1m to sign a star - maybe big prop as most of us were harping on about.

Obviously SK has built a strong team and Corvo and the crew obviously respect SK enough to come here. That is a big sign when good people want to work as part of his team and vision.

The process is partly about team work - too often the Warriors individually want to be heros. Lisone is the best example - he made good runs but lost the ball trying to offload. Now he knows his role and his runs late in the halves are brilliant.

We will finish top 4 this year but the far greater change is the cultural change at the club thanks to coach SK.

14. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

Kearney alluded to this in one of his press conferences, something along the lines of 'changed the way we play a bit'. He was playing it down obviously, as the way they play has been a complete overhaul.

Interestingly enough I've seen some talk about this on various league shows, that the more mobile sides are the ones doing better. Last night on NRL360 they spoke about how the 3-4 hitups the Cowboys were taking with their big forwards before spreading it wide was no longer working, it didn't work against us either - until we gave them so much possession we conceded a couple.

I've noticed from our team stats each week the workload is definitely being shared, we don't have any one or two forwards making 15+ hitups a game. This is likely down to the workload of some of our backs, which is excellent, as well as our willingness to spread the ball to our edges early in the count. Possibly too there has been a directive to share the attacking load just as they seem to be sharing the defensive load.

Will be interesting to see how this evolves over the season. Opposition sides will watch our videos and come up with counter strategies, we'll have injuries which will interrupt the flow of what's happening, all the usual stuff that faces a side over a season. The decisions SK and the coaching staff make in response will give us a clearer idea as to what 'the process' is....

15. Akuma_81
    Join:
    Nov 6, 2012

Akuma_81 1st Grade Fringe

Absolutely agree with all points!

The best thing we did was get rid of the dead wood, and guys that had been at the club too long. There were too many guys whinging and sooking too and glad to see them go also.

Kearney inherited the majority of that team, which was basically the team that Cappy had unsuccessfully built. He's now reaping the benefits of smart recruitment in both players and staff.

This is completely different team from the past 6 years and hopefully they've all learnt from the mistakes of the past.

16. Juno
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2018

Juno U20's Player

What I noticed on Saturday with the Warriors vs Cows was an offensive change that was also really good defensive play.
    Obviously in this game it was Blair & Harris' collective defensive role to help nullify Thurston's options on both sides of the paddock as well as shoring up the team defensive line of course (worked a treat) but they also each had an offensive decoy running role (the stats bear this out with about 12 - 13 decoy runs each). Different to the first few games.

The advantage of this was that the cows homework from previous games would have Harris as a part of the offensive ball playing & creating on the right edge and Blair as a middle player or edge runner setting up second-phase plays by offloading & quick play-the-balls so when they ran decoy the cows defence were in two minds most of the time as to what was on or not - & that hesitation is priceless.

Not rocket science but a clever switch and experienced execution that shows coaching & player responsiveness when necessary.

17. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

This is Andrew McFadden IMO. He's really good at changing up the plays so that the opposition haven't got a clue what to expect from the last couple of weeks highlights reels.

Twice we saw Fus go around his winger untouched when there was no overlap to begin with. McMind games made this possible.

18. Deranged
    Join:
    May 24, 2012

Deranged 1st Grade Fringe

winning.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  19. MXRecord
    Join:
    Apr 8, 2014

MXRecord 1st Grade Fringe

Nail.Head. I've said it for a long time, it was never the coaching, it was the players or in particular a few players with poor attitudes.
    Manu, although a legend was definitely part of the problem, along side Matulino, Hurrell and Thompson. I'd even put Lolohea in that boat.

20. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

The oddity is that a couple of those guys are now at clubs that are being praised for their work ethic and attitude. Matulino and Tui in particular at the Tigers. Konrad to a lesser extent at the Titans.

Though obviously individuals behave differently depending on the environment they're in.