Steve McNamara

1. The Batman
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

The Batman 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Warriors sign McNamara as an assistant coach

The New Zealand Warriors have signed the former England coach Steve McNamara as an assistant for the next two NRL seasons.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    League coach Steve McNamara. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

McNamara links up with new Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney after being an assistant coach at the Sydney Roosters the last three seasons.

"Steve has tremendous coaching credentials through his time as England's head coach as well as his experience with Bradford in the Super League and now the Roosters in the NRL," said Warriors managing director Jim Doyle.

McNamara is the third assistant coach alongside Andrew McFadden and Stacey Jones.

"We're excited about being able to bring this group of coaches together as we strive to lift our standards. Certainly our senior players and the whole NRL squad will now have better coaching support than they've ever had before," said Doyle.

McNamara was thrilled about his role with the Warriors.

"I've learnt so much about the NRL in my three seasons with the Roosters, adding to past experience with England and Bradford," he said.

"Now I'm really excited about this next step in my coaching career, coming to Auckland and working with Stephen and a great coaching group.

"I am in no doubt that the Vodafone Warriors have the players to make a mark in the NRL and I want to do all I can to help make that happen.

"I have the greatest admiration for Stephen from the days when we were opposing coaches of our national teams. He has done wonderfully well with the Kiwis and I'm sure he's going to do a terrific job with the Vodafone Warriors."

Kearney said he couldn't be happier to secure McNamara.

"While Steve and I were adversaries in our roles with our national teams we formed a great relationship," he said.

"He brings qualities that will give us a really strong and experienced coaching group as we look ahead to take the Vodafone Warriors to the level we collectively expect of this club.

"There's much work to do but with Steve, Cappy and Stacey we have a coaching team that can really lift standards and bring about the improvements we must make to be consistently competitive in the NRL."

McNamara played more than 300 top-level games for Great Britain, Hull FC, Bradford, Wakefield and Huddersfield from 1989-2003 before moving into coaching including six seasons as England head coach.

STEVE McNAMARA

Born: September 18, 1971

Birthplace: Hull, England

Coaching Career:

Club: Bradford head coach 2006-2010, Sydney Roosters assistant coach 2014-2016

International: Great Britain assistant coach 2007, England assistant coach 2008-2009, England head coach 2010-2015

Playing Career:

Position: Second row, loose forward

Junior Club: Skirlaugh, Hull

Club Career: Hull FC 1989-1996, Bradford 1996-2000, Wakefield 2000, Huddersfield 2001-2003

International Career: Great Britain, 1992-1999

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List

2. The Batman
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

The Batman 1st Grade Fringe

Another Great Signing for the Club

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

What is his specialty?

4. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Great appointment.

5. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

The poms don't rate him

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  6. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I think he's a solid and potentially astute coaching signing.

The coaching team is looking better and better:
    Kearney - first grade experience with the Eels, assistant to the Broncos and Storm, Kiwis coach for a long period of time
    McFadden - decent first grade experience as both a coach and assistant coach
    McNamara - 104 games as coach of Bradford, 3 seasons assisting at the Roosters, coached 30ish international games
    Jones - we all know his record

Significant improvement on:
    McFadden
    Webster
    Morgan

The thing I like the best - all the coaching staff has a tonne of experience playing - McNamara played 300 games, Kearney played 330+ games, Jones - 370+ games, McFadden - 100 games.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  7. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

When we signed Tomkins and the relationship (even I've had relationships longer than that;)) with Wigan was announced we had a lot of English guys posting on here. A lot stayed during the internationals as well. They didn't speak to highly of McNamara. I'm prepared to judge him on his time here.

He brings quite a bit of coaching experience which is going to be good to have considering we usually have a rookie head coach with rookie assistants. Along with the Bradford and England head coaching he comes from the Roosters and was there when things were going well. The NRL experience would be good for him.

The 2 year contract I wouldn't pay much attention to. We have been churning through the assistant coaches the last few years. Morgan was highly touted and gone within a year.

Good that the appointment has been made. It was supposed to have been within a week or so a month or two ago. His manager must be a pretty hard negotiator. At least we know the appointment has been made and we don't have to speculate about whatever happened to the assistant with international experience.

8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Im undecided on this appointment because of how roundly he was criticised by his own country folk. Youve put it kindly. Truth is the Poms hated him and his nickname McBanana was coined by those very people.

No doubt he's got an amazing pedigree and his experience is better than Kearneys but Im still a little apprehensive.

Only time will tell.

Welcome to the team anyway McBanana...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

9. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

I can't recall all of the issues the pommy guys that used to post here had with the guy. I think some of them were with his selections. Hopefully his time at the Roosters helped with any short comings.

We can't really judge him until we hear how he interacts with the players, or when we play some games and see the area he's been assigned to look after goes etc. So he could be in for a long honeymoon. We are in the pre season so he'll probably end up being the second coming of Wayne Bennett or Vince Lombardi by the time the season arrives.;)

10. kabkram
    Join:
    Oct 21, 2015

kabkram 1st Grade Fringe

Just on the face of it I'm seeing too many chiefs and not enough Indians. And why did the roosters let him go?

11. samo3987
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

samo3987 Warriors Bench Player

Don't remember where I read it but recently saw RTS crediting him for his standout season at the roosters

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Warriorholic
    Join:
    May 4, 2012

Warriorholic 1st Grade Fringe

Look at what we say about Johnson and Mutalino, I bet any ESL club would take them, let's not throw him under the bus just yet. Great signing imo

13. Harrigan
    Join:
    Oct 19, 2015

Harrigan U20's Player

The idiots who say he's a poor coach are the ones who have long memories. Over here he was a young guy in his first head coaches job in charge of a declining Bradford team. It was a no win situation for him. Not many young guys go straight into a head caches job in their 30s and do well. Especially when the club is having a lot of difficulties behind the scenes too. I men, they nearly went bust and had to raise a couple of million $ in the space of a few weeks. Players weren't getting paid and he was primarily the scape goat, even though a lot had nothing to do with him. Over the past 10 years, like any player would, hes developed massively as a coach though and from an English point of view, made the England team look as good as I have ever seen it in the SL era. I mean, he was a fingertip away from beating the Aussies in Melbourne and would have coached his team to a draw with you guys in Dunedin if they hadnt have had to go for the win. In contrast, look at the touring English teams over the past 10-15 years and how many times theyve been flogged in both Aus and NZ. Don't worry about his appointment. You have have truly got a good coach here. The English who call him McBanana are just idiots with long memories and thats a problem the English fans have in general.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List
  14. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Sounds like all the league fans who think Kearney will flop based solely on his stint at the Eels.

Times change, people change. All our coaches would have experienced ups and downs that would have helped them grow and develop. Hopefully they all gel together because there's a wealth of experience there from varying backgrounds that we will hopefully take advantage of.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  15. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

He was part of a premiership winning Roosters team, but when Jason Taylor moved on the Tigers went better and the Roosters didn't. I hope that isn't an omen. I trust JD but he trumpeted Justin Morgan as a great signing too so I am with you on this one Welly.

16. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

The best coaches have at some point had a lean spell or been sacked due to a poor run somewhere; all coaches are waiting to be sacked remember (especially here;)). We typically have a coaching staff of rookies and sack them as soon as the going gets tough. We have a coaching staff with a bit more experience this year. Guys that have seen a lot more ups and downs.

Our head coach is in a similar position after having a rough head coaching stint somewhere else, now he has got some more experience.

Most coaching teams have the head coach and two assistants so our scenario is interesting. It will be interesting to see how they spread the responsibilities and how they work during the game with who is in the box and who is running instructions etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Roosters letting him go. He was there for 3 years 2 were minor premiership winning sides the other 1 didn't go too well. They could have been looking for a change after a rough year or his contract could have been up. Assistants tend to move around a lot looking for opportunities and experience; remember last year we got Morgan who was highly thought of at the Storm. Ok that didn't work out too well but he is a good example as he could of stayed at the Storm.

• List
  17. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

I just hope he does more than Platt and Betts ever did. Other NRL clubs seem to be able to pick decent Poms ( Whitehead and Hodgson ) but we haven't yet. Tomkinson was ok, but not worth his salary.

• List
  18. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

Well forwards didn't work, a star back didn't work, the two young fellas didn't work. hopefully the non playing staff work out better.

The stats analyst Birdie Reeves is English as well?

19. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

she's definitely a notch above the others...

20. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

Law of averages suggests we get it right soon. Birdie Reeves would certainly be the best value for money to date.