General Discussion Strength and Conditioning

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by African warrior, Mar 26, 2017.

1. African warrior
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

African warrior NSW Cup Player

Watching the Dragons game, a few players were gassed after about 30min, in particular i noticed Bodene, who arrived as a 80 min player, was standing hands on knee's after about 20-25 min. Issac has been in the same boat since he. It's got me thinking about what the fitness standards are at the club and how they stack up against the others, because i don't think its a coincidence that the guys who come here seem to drop or get "ruined" once the get here. Some one even mentioned seeing RTS looking flat out for the first time and i think even the dropped balls can be attributed to mental fatigue brought on by physical fatigue.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

the mind gives out way before the body does. these players are getting beaten mentally. its a cultural thing as to why players come here and look flat

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

Using culture as an excuse is really getting thin, these guys are professionals (in name) and chose this sport as their job. If I fuck up badly at work, I can't use culture as an excuse.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  4. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

have you ever worked somewhere that has a piss poor culture? legit question im not taking the piss

used to work at a gym(im a trainer) with a really really bad culture. gym was failing badly when i got there. people had been there for 6 years. i left after 4 months. but i see similarities there to what i see in the warriors. towards the end of my time there i started seeing the other guys attitudes rubbing off me. clients were getting results, but thats fine cause we are getting their money and they keep coming back.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

They defended on multiple back to back sets due to errors and penalties conceded. Any team that is required to do that much defence will look tired, I don't think it has anything to do with the clubs fitness of strength and conditioning regimes.

The teams will have similar pre-season preparations but it hasn't always been that way for the Warriors. About 20 years ago, I was working with a trainer that helping rehabilitate Sean Fitzpatrick back from injury towards the end of his career. In those days the Warriors did a little bit of cross-training with the Blues and Sean was going along to some of the Warriors training sessions. Anyway, the Warriors were doing then what teams do now, there was lots of mileage and heavy lifting etc done in the off season to build a strength and cardio base for the season ahead, becoming more dynamic as the season got closer. The big difference between the Blues and Warriors training during the season however was that the Warriors did a lot of high intensity sprint and speed work but weren't doing anything to maintain the underlying cardio base and as a result, it would diminish as the season went along and with it, so did their ability to recover during the game. This is back in when the Blues were successful and the Warriors were the same as they are now pretty much.

What I learnt from that trainer was that once you get fit during the off season, not to continue trying getting fitter as you risk over training and your time is better spent on sport specific drills and fitness maintenance. At the same time, if you don't actively maintain your fitness, they will slowing diminish. It's too early in the season for that to be already happening for the Warriors and they've just come out of the toughest pre-season every right?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  6. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Jordan G Warriors 1st Grader

Too many athletes, not enough footballers.

IMO everything else is irrelevant until that's addressed.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  7. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

I don't think its physical conditioning, I think its the mental conditioning that's messed up with this group..

They all look lethargic and unfit. Dis-interested.

the energy just isn't there ..

all the dropped balls and errors .....they're not switched on....

When Hoff is dropping it, RTS, Mannering, ...... SJ pathetic and predictable 5th tackle kicks....

all that is on the COACH..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  8. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I've been at a few work places with culture issues. Some it started from the top others it was mainly from the people that had been there for so long and had adapted to it or were part of it whereas the newer younger people starting out in the workforce or the new people starting with the company would be driven.

The first one I listed. That company doesn't exist anymore. The club has changed a lot in the coaching department and back office over the years. Sure at somepoints the management isn't up to it but at some point in rests with the players.

The second example you could relate to a football club I suppose as the experienced guys are used to the current standards, the younger ones and new recruits are enthusiastic and ready to excel either do or soon become part of the problem.

As far as conditioning it seems common that we are off the pace early in the season. Agree with others some of it would be mental and not willing to work through.

One thing Cleary said while he was here that his staff found our guys did better with a lot of running in their legs during the off season. That came with experience in being here a while where we have cycled through a few coaching teams recently.

9. Comlite31
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2017

Comlite31 Waterboy