General Discussion The blind support of the NZ Warriors is unlikely to get repaid

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Wellington Warrior, May 15, 2017.

1. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

The blind support of the NZ Warriors is unlikely to get repaid
    HAMISH BIDWELL

Last updated 16:41, May 15 2017

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    JASON MCCAWLEY/PHOTOSPORT.

Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson seems destined to leave a trail of broken rugby league hearts behind him.

OPINION: It's that time of year again, sports fans.

Yes, the moment has come to turn your backs on the New Zealand Warriors. Pop back at the end of August to see if anything's changed. Otherwise, walk away safe in the knowledge that this is an NRL season to mirror so many of those which have preceded it.

State of Origin isn't far away, after which the Warriors will sit third or fourth in the premiership. Whether they again sink without trace is about all that remains to be seen about 2017.

JASON MCCAWLEY/PHOTOSPORT.

Assistant coach Andrew McFadden (blue top) reads the riot act to the Warriors on Saturday.

It would be easy to round on the team following Saturday's 36-28 loss to Penrith. From 28-6 up, this was a match that took some losing.

But it was entirely typical of the Warriors and they are unworthy of people's continued support. Never mind faith. Retaining an active interest in this team would actually be an act of stupidity.

MATT KING/GETTY IMAGES.

Indications are that Robbie Farah, left, has cemented his place at New South Wales hooker for another year.

The blind loyalty of their fan base hasn't spurred the club into action, but they might notice if you turned your backs.

There's little point looking forward to next year, either. Having reportedly spent a fortune re-signing halfback Shaun Johnson, the main additions around him for 2018 are backrowers Tohu Harris and Leivaha Pulu.

Beyond them, players such as reserve grade half Mason Lino have been offered deals to re-sign. There's still time to get more active in the market, but it's tough to see that trio providing the difference between success and failure.

The club's under-20 team have lost a perfect 10-from-10 so far this season, so don't hold your breath waiting for that crop of youngsters to prop the first-grade team up.

There will still be moments of Johnson-generated magic this year and the next offseason will no doubt be the most positive the club have ever had, with the players never fitter or more motivated. And then you'll get served up the same fare as this year, the year before and pretty much every year of the club's chequered history.

Speaking of Origin

The teams for game one of this year's series are due to be named after this round and Queensland enthusiasts will be loving the noises out of the New South Wales camp.

Mitchell Pearce appears destined to be halfback, while veteran Robbie Farah is said to have cemented selection at hooker with a decent outing in Souths' win over the Tigers. Loyalty and continuity are the rationale. But loyalty to what? Ten series losses out of the last 11 isn't something many people would reward.

Well done Newcastle

You had to feel pleased for the Knights' players and supporters after Sunday's win over the Raiders. The guts have been ripped out of that club, partly as a result of former owner Nathan Tinkler's financial problems, and they'll probably win the wooden spoon again this year.

But the effort the team continually put in should make a few more-talented teams embarrassed.

Elsewhere, you had to admire the Sharks' 14-10 win over the Dragons and the Titans' 38-36 victory against the Storm. Other clubs, such as the Bulldogs, Tigers and Eels, suffered pretty galling defeats.

- Stuff

2. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Obviously a dic-picca wrote that article..

3. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

To much Marty Devlin mate......

4. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Bidwell is not a student of rugby league which is the reason why every thing he writes on the subject has the caveat OPINION:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Raw Power
    Join:
    Aug 30, 2016

Raw Power U20's Player

Hamish Bid-fare-well should stick to writing about Rugby Yawnion, a game that beggars belief that anyone could sit down and watch for 80 mundane and sluggish minutes, what a shemozzle![/QUOTE]

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Jordan G Warriors 1st Grader

I don't disagree with the initial sentiments, but when he started talking details his lack of knowledge was badly exposed.

• List
  7. Bluecat again
    Join:
    Sep 30, 2012

Bluecat again Hopelessly hopeful Contributor

What a waste of internet space and the authors time that opinion piece was
    We've been Warriors supporters for nearly a quarter of a century
    We go in to each season knowing for sure what is going to happen
    We certainly don't need a hack journo to tell us

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. Waiting For Premiership
    Join:
    Jun 11, 2012

Waiting For Premiership 1st Grade Fringe

An oldie but a goodie...... I saw a Warriors vs Broncos ticket nailed to a tree, "l,ll have that I said, "never know when you'll need a good nail " ..:p

9. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Like the sitting 3rd or 4th around Origin time. I wish that was the case.

A lot of the journalists that don't write on league often have some weird facts in their articles. It doesn't help things as then a lot of the casual readers then take it as gospel.

A few articles from the weekend have been over the top, some saying it's not a big thing to worry about. In isolation it's not an issue and it is a 26 round competition so there will be a few down performances.

Ok the sentiment of the article is to save some stress and pass on the Warriors for the rest of the year. The thing with being a supporter is there is ups and downs and you follow your club........................................Ok that opens me up for 20 years of x,y or z jokes or any other punchlines but as a support of any club in any code you ride out the tough times, bad performances and enjoy things when they turn around.

• List
  10. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Should have gone with the ticket, then you really would've been screwed properly..

11. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Yeah, the whole spiel about our NYC team I found odd and completely devoid of any understanding other than "look at the table".

12. MeetTheMonster
    Join:
    Mar 2, 2016

MeetTheMonster Warriors Bench Player

I guess the part he nailed was the warriors suck and are beyond pathetic. That much is true. There is basically no hope left as a warriors fan. This club is well and truly cursed. The day Watson sells it is the day we have hope again.

13. koolkat
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

koolkat This mob sux Contributor

Well I'm stupid,that means I'll be watching again Friday,douche

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Worried2Death
    Join:
    Mar 6, 2016

Worried2Death Warriors Bench Player

Hi everyone I'm Worried to Death, I'm 47 yeas old and I'm a Warriors fan. My addiction started in my early 20's and I haven't been straight since 1995. Was a Raiders fan BW (Before Warriors), how green and naive I was. The only club I would ever defect to would be if the South Island Crusaders get their NRL licence. Imagine hundreds of brainwashed inbred feral idiots running around shouting "South Island" like rich men's puppets in their own show, the NRL. which incidentally now appears to be packaged like an American Gladiater Wrestling show with it's own "international superstars" like Shaun Johnson. Can't wait to feel sorry for those poor tortured bastards still shouting "warriors" just like we think of Blues fans now.

15. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Used to be a Raiders supporter too. Take solace that if you had stuck with Canberra you wouldn't have enjoyed any more success.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  16. Swanley
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Swanley 1st Grade Fringe

Unfortunately I'll always be a Warriors fan. Used to be Balmain Tigers, but enough said about that....

I don't things could get much worse, but who knows.

Luckily for me I generally only invest in them for 80 minutes a week and being in the UK, I don't get suckered into purchased merchandise etc.

• List
  17. Toopi is King
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

Toopi is King 1st Grade Fringe

I have to admit, I will always support the Warriors no matter what, but I also will support what ever team Ivan Cleary is coaching as well, I feel he is one of the better coaches around and his form shows this. If yyou want someone to rebuild a club from the ground up, (that includes NYC and Reserves as well as scouting), then he is your man.

Lets Gone Warriors

• List
  18. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

I was a Manly fan before the Warriors came onto the scene... guessing it was due to the kiwis in the Manly side back then!

Now...can't stand the fockers!!!

And as for Hamish Bidwell... played cricket against him when I was at school. He was as clueless at cricket as he is writing about league. Dumb fuck!!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  19. Maraea
    Join:
    May 20, 2013

Maraea 1st Grade Fringe

I'll keep watching the Warriors because theyre NZ's nrl team and because hope and loyalty to league won't let me stop.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  20. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Warriors 1st Grader

I used to watch the team hoping it would support the level of time and energy I used to put in to supporting them.

Now I watch them to justify my decision not to put time and energy in to supporting them. For brief periods, like the first half of the Panthers game, I get a little bit of doubt creeping in. But then they always follow it up with something like the second half.

it's like picking your own numbers in lotto but not buying the ticket. You haven't wasted any money and you watch the draw to justify that decision. Now and then a few of your numbers come out but never anything worth while.

Or maybe its like another poster on here said. It's like meeting a hot girl, hitting it off, get her back to your place and finding out she has a cock tucked up between her legs.
    Most of us are now firmly in the 'yeah, she looks kinda not bad, but there is something about her that makes me think she has a dick'
    She may try flirting with you, buying you drinks,tell you she's not looking for commitment or a serious thing. that little bit of 'I might just be wrong about this girl' creeps in to your head. But you just can't stop noticing her Adams apple thats as big as a plum.

Come on sweetheart, keep the faith.

now bend over........

• Funny Funny x 6
    • List