General Discussion The Lighter Side of League

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Miket12, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

I thought to pass the off season, it would be interesting to hear some of the lighter stories of your experiences about league as a player, fan, coach, etc.

To start it off, my father was a staunch union supporter but didn't hate league - just couldn't be bothered with the "five tackles and kick" game as he used to describe it.

One day, I told him how excited I was about a team from NZ finally getting a team into the Winfield Cup but he reckoned there was a south island team already there.

When I asked him where from, he said "Christchurch - the Canterbury Bulldogs".

Funny thing is, he decided he'd watch the first game against the Broncos with me - and was hooked on league for the rest of his life!!!

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • List
  2. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

My Grandad was an RL official, from the end of the war until the mid 60's. He told me a story, one of many, about when he was linesman at a Challenge Cup tie at Barrow. Just before they went out onto the pitch the ref realised he didn't have his watch (pre timekeeper days). Panic set in as neither my Grandad or his fellow linesman had a watch either, they were stuck.

My Grandad being a local realised you could see the Town Hall clock from his touchline so that's how time was kept, Grandad giving a signal to the ref when the 40 minutes were up. He reckoned there were a few complaints after the game about the 35 minute second half though!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

I first played Rugby League in a small town called Kawerau. We had some very interesting characters around the club.

One of my favourite memories was one of the props in my team getting re-hydrated at halftime each game with a 1.5L bottle of Coke.

4. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

I remember my first game as a skinny white 6 year old playing for the Howick Hornets against Otara, I had a blood nose after two minutes and black eye after ten and was subbed off not long after much to the relief of an anxious mother doing laps up and down the sideline. That could’ve been my entire league career right there but for the coach handing me the player of the day award (I assume a fair amount of guilt was involved) after that you couldn’t wipe the smile off my face and it’s fair to say I’ve been hooked on the game ever since.

• Like Like x 16
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Cool thread I've been wanting to start a similar one during the off season as playing league in NZ I met quite a few characters and also some of the experiences were like being in a comedy show.

Small world that's where I'm from. A former Tarawera Raider here played from 91 or 92 through to 95.

Who was the crazy that used to down a bottle of coke?

6. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

My first year playing league was under 13s. We had 3 coaches our main one who was the hard arse who would get in your face and say how good you think you are but aint got shit on him (I thought I'd enrolled in pro wrestling). One of the others used to ride our bikes all through training and the last one used to pretty much only get stoned, he'd mainly turn up on game days.

I've got a great story on the hard arse when we started under 15s which would take some writing.

I'm pretty sure our Jerseys were from the under 11's. Every week we'd need to help each other pulling these Jerseys that were way too small. You could say we pioneered the current jersey trends.;)

7. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

I mentioned this in the Bodene Thompson thread when there was an article about him being from Tauranga.

Our coach comes up to us in our under 17s that we will be playing a new side also called the Raiders. This of course set us all off that you can't have two sides with the same nick name in the same competition. War was declared.:rage:

The stupidity continued on game day when we ignored our coaches directions as there is no fields where he's talking about. So we all turn up the town before where we should be playing, get told you guys are in the wrong place and we get directions similar to what our coach had already given us.

We turn up for the game and they have the biggest guy in either side. A big maori guy with an afro. Two of my mates put a shot on him and he walks from our 20 metre line where the tackle was made back to the half way line where he decided to sit down.:blackeye:

Later on there was a fight which ended up in an all in brawl. The little kids from the sideline grabbed the touch line posts and ran on to get their licks in.

Now during the entire 80 minutes all you could hear from us is that we are the Raiders they're not. After the match we go into their club rooms and all sitting around. I look at the wall and start laughing, my mate asks what the hell is your problem. I point at the wall and he starts off as well. So we get what's some with you two? My mate points out their called the Whalers.o_O

8. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

As a teenager I went to the Australasian Meca of RL- Sydney in the 80's.
    Fresh off the plane from NZ I applied to go to High school in Sydney's West.

Anywho getting passed School receptionists turned out to be a problem ' we already have our quota of kiwis' was an understandable sentiment.

So I was at the third school that morning when the School principle happened to wander passed. He introduced himself....then to our surprise he asked me and my Step Mum to follow him to his office.

Realising I need make the best impression I prepared mentally to talk school sylabis and academic goals.

The Principle starts by asking " have you played rugby League?"....." how old are you....good....good....big for your age......"

Pretty much from there on my acceptance at the School was a mere formality as School Principle demonstrated how to push someone subtly to gain advantage at the play the ball and told me I would be given a trial run at training.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

This story is second hand from a Kiwi tour of France in the 1960's.
    The game was in a small town in the south of France and one touchline had the crowd standing on the line. This frog fielded a clearing kick, ran off the field behind the spectators and then down the field behind them so that nobody from the Kiwis could touch him. :eek:When he reached the goal line he ran out from the crowd and over to score under the posts.:rolleyes: The French ref awarded the try!!!:mad:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah I was there around the same time but sounds like I'm a little younger.

Would have played from 94 - 97 (Started in the Under 6s). We were the Tarawera Raiders and then the Kawerau Raiders. In about 95 or 96 we had all new kit for the whole club, you missed out!

The kid with the CocaCola habit was named Hikurangi, which was quite fitting as he did resemble a mountain.

I remember older players being given a tinnie for player of the day, would that have been about right?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Another Grandad one, this time he was running the line at a Wigan v Warrington game.

Wigan were attacking and one of their forwards went over the line and dived for what looked like a valid try. Grandad jogged around the in goal towards the posts in anticipation of the conversion. As he got there, and his fellow linesman had done the same thing, he turned to see a Warrington player in the distance running towards the Wigan try line with some Wigan players and the ref chasing him.

What had happened was the Wigan player had lost the ball in the Warrington in goal area, this bloke Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. had picked up the ball and ran the length of the field to score. Unlike my Grandad, the referee had spotted this and kept play going. Being at the wrong end of the pitch my Grandad and his fellow linesman had to run the length of the pitch themselves to jeering and abuse from the crowd

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

I was playing under 17s in 94 and reserves/prems in 95. I moved to Tauranga to study in 96 and 97. I used to come home to watch my mates play. Around that time they moved from Boyce Park to Tarawera Park.

I remember the new Jerseys. Also around that time they played Ponsonby. I remember this guy coming out to talk to us, he was pretty drunk for 12pm. He then proceeded to go on about how the Ponsonby Panthers were about to come out, they used to be called the Ponsonby Ponies. Then throughout the game he then went to do a drunk impression of Laurie Nicholls shadow boxing and stumbling around the field. Most of the locals just wanted to give Peter Ropati a black eye so they could see their handy work on TV.

There was some characters around that club.

13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Brian Bevan was Australian wasn't he?;)

14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Some trainspotter might correct me, but if I recall it was about the early 1970's when Auckland clubs got the idea of being named after animals. I am fairly sure that was when they started calling themselves Ponies. Most people thought it was a good name because they were pretty much a bunch of show Ponies anyway. Richmond had always been Richmond Rovers so they called themselves the Bulldogs, Glenora the Bears and Northcote the Tigers and Otahuhu the Leopards. Mount Wellington can put me straight on the Otahuhu thing because I am sure they weren't the Leopards before then.

15. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

I remember jumping in my mates car years ago and he had a whole lot of tins. I asked him what the hell all that lot is for, he responds that the club needed to pay some fees to the NZRL and were having a raffle.

Me being skeptical thinks someone had a nice plan where they got their shopping paid for. As I didn't see any raffles around town I think my guess was pretty accurate.

16. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

This is one for Hardymans Yugo. A second hand story again from a kiwi tour in the 1980s. They were playing Wigan. a few of those players were reserve graders trying to make their mark on the big scene. The kiwi halfback had a run in with the Wigan half. The next opportunity he got the Wigan player dropped his sock to show the Kiwi a blade,:eek: all ready to go and invited him to think about it. At half time the Kiwi was a white as a sheet in the changing sheds.

17. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

He was, local legend though with a street named after him. Never played for Australia but is in their hall of fame

18. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Could it have been Bobby Goulding? A complete idiot that bloke

The timing probably isn't right, but it also sounds like the kind of thing Barry McDermott might have done. There was an article on him in the Manchester Evening News a few years ago where he reckoned he had voices in his head telling him to hit people. Proper nut case, now a very funny Sky TV pundit

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

20. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

The last year I played we had this guy come back to our club who they said was a Junior Kiwi. He was a gun centre with a nice fend which he got me with a few times at training, it was like a quick jab that would push you off but you sure felt it.

Half the side called this guy Robbie and the other half called him Bobbie. This left all of us younger guys confused so we would often interchange it depending on what the last guy said.

Why didn't you ask him you are probably thinking. Well partly embarrassment after a few months it gets to the point it's too late and he also wasn't that easy to understand sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List