General Discussion The Warriors Fail Again - Because of Reasons or Excuses?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mrblonde, Sep 29, 2017.

1. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

Decided to start this discussion because of a comment in the Des Hasler thread about Kearney only making excuses. Not having a dig at the poster concerned because I think he's at least partly right, but I do sometimes think that when a coach/player states a fact about his team (ie losing 200 games of experience from the previous season), people who already didn't particularly like the coach/player label the fact an excuse - ie "Yeah, he could have risen above that anyway/that's just a smokescreen because he's crap" whereas people who do like the player/coach would go "Fair enough, not right to say that's the only thing that stuffed us but that's a lot of experience that walked out the door."

So, fellow forummers, the question is: What makes a fact a reason rather than an excuse? To me, a player injury is a reason because there's no way the coach is going to know that, say, your fullback's going to stuff his ACL in Round 2 and be out for the season and he's a pretty major player and obviously whoever fills in at fullback isn't going to be as good - if he was, he'd have been playing from the start. It would be an excuse, however, to claim that as the only reason when everyone can see that the forwards weren't putting in and the coach sat on his hands and did nowt.

2. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

They had a better roster this year than they will next year. Kearney has a terrible first grade record.

So at the moment it looks like excuses. Next year the excuse will be that the roster isnt complete. The year after they can say the team just needs time together. The reality is that players having 3 year contract means the roster will keep changing so I dont think that excuse will work and he will be let go if hes still not getting results in 2019.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Unfortunately injuries go with the territory when playing NRL. In some cases yes it does contribute to the lack of success a team has or if the coach and team have some smarts about them they will adapt there style of play to suit the players who are available. The perfect example is the Cowboys, it's well documented who they're missing but they're playing in a GF on Sunday. At the moment we have neither the smarts or mental toughness to kick on when we have a major injury. Maybe next year, coach is a bit more experienced and has a few players of his choice.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  4. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Semantics

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Fact is we suck as a club. Thats the excuse

Heard Steveo use this a few times already.

Basically we suck as a club before he arrived so its not his fault we keep losing...

Players arent up to first grade. Fact and a good excuse.

Not the coaches fault.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

There's no doubt injuries impact your season some clubs can cover those losses better because of the overall strength in their squads, where Warriors fans differ is how they view our replacements, I believe they're so sub standard and flawed (and not just the replacements a lot of our top 17) that once we lost a few key players there was only one way I could see the season was going.

For that reason I gave Kearney a break until he builds his own roster, for me it starts next season with a host of new signings if there's no improvement by then I would expect him to be pressured out of the coaching role.

• List
  7. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Reasons are excuses, and excuses are reasons.

You either want to win or you don't afaic.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Sebastian
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Sebastian 1st Grade Fringe

Better roster this year over next. I don't think so.

We lacked experience in the outside backs. Beale, Hiku are in.

We lacked punch in the back row. Harris, Pulu are in.

We lacked force in the propping rotation Blair is in. Possibly another prop to come.

We lose a out of form Ben Matulino. A broken down Foran. And a Lillyman who lacks aggression in the middle.

We'll have depth in the backs so out of form outside backs can be dropped. And finally Gavet who we missed badly returns.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List

9. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

The Coach is always the fall guy. Problems are deeper than just Coaching.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  10. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

If the guys we rolled out, this season just been, had left everything out on the field every game, SJ and RTS would have been running at heavily fatigued opposition at the back end of every game. That's something the entire sporting world was hoping to see.

But we didn't get to see that. It was only our guys who looked heavily fatigued at the end of every game. What are the reasons for this?

• List
  11. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

If Kearney is telling the players they aren't up to first grade how are they supposed to have any belief. There are always going to be excuses but you cant make them cause when you do there is zero accountability and the players have an easy out. I see it in the workplace all the time, as soon as their is an out people stop putting in. Which is exactly what the players did this year.

Thats why every time Johnson gets injured we dont win a game. Ready made excuse that will keep us getting paid till next year. Then next year we will need to come up with a new excuse, lucky Kearney has set the precedent that if we have injuries its ok to lose. Cause every year every team has injuries. I'm sorry anyone who thinks Kearney isn't a useless coach is in denial or delusional. He will not improve on his current winning percentage at the Warriors, time wil prove me right.

Yes we had injuries this year, yes some players aren't up to first grade, but we all know the players didn't put in, that comes down to Kearney, he said he would axe players not putting in, did he even drop a single player? Players like Alwood, Fairimo, CNK and Santo couldn't even get a look in while Kata and Maumalo stunk up first grade. Kearneys excuse, cause he didn't think it would make a difference.

He also doesn't understand completion footy. Completion footy is about controlling the ball while moving it across the field and threatening the defence. Not just taking one out hit ups and saying we had 85% completion like it means something. He has excuses for that too.

Here are the facts Kearney has very low football intelligence and is stubborn as a mule. I will be amazed if we dont get the spoon next year. Lets hope Maguire or Hasler are still on the market when we do. Then again the club will probably hire Kidwell instead, cause he is a Kiwi.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  12. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

Probably a discussion for another thread but Blair doesnt make metres, Beale is a utility player, and Hiku has now been released from his last 3 clubs

I'm not sure these signing are a big win as they are being made out

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 11
    • List
  13. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

If you're taking accountability it's a reason- if you're pushing the blame onto others it's an excuse.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  14. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

Very average signings, all Kearney can attract unfortunately.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  15. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

Valid excuses are only valid if the coach making those excuses has been successful in the past.

You cant blame losing experience for losses when your teams are always just as bad with or without that experience.

You cant blame injuries for losses when your teams are always just as bad with or without those injuries.

You cant blame your roster when at the start of the season every commentator, fan, Warriors administrator and even my fucking dog agreed that talent wise, this was the best squad the Warriors had ever started a season with.

A shit coach is a shit coach, there are a ton of them floating around, and very very few good ones, so it's no surprise the Warriors have had a long string of garbage coaches...we just happened to really scrape the bottom of the barrell with Kearney.

• List
  16. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

Kearney has taken no responsibility for this season, in fact he thinks they are going well. Name one player this year that Kearney has made accountable for their performance.
    NZ Warriors Winning Percentage

Kiwi Coaches 131 wins 303 losses at 30.01%
    Aussie Coaches 180 wins 175 losses at 50.70%

And yet we keep repeating the same mistake of hiring Kiwi Coaches and expect different results.

Also Daniel Anderson and Ivan Cleary picked up the team in a far worse state than Kearney did, yet they got results, and didn't make excuses.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  17. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

As my old mate Bruce would say the stats don't lie LOL

18. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  19. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

McFadden and Eliot both had 45% win loss percentages. How the fuck did those two ever get hired?

Kearney has a 30% win loss with the club.

Wake me up when winning becomes our no.1 priority..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  20. BlaqAdam
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2016

BlaqAdam Warriors Bench Player

Yep... But players play aswel it sucks when there's no accountability. Our coaches still think Princess plays like a true Half should lol