General Discussion The Warriors Fail Again - Because of Reasons or Excuses?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mrblonde, Sep 29, 2017.

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

You hear about Bellamy and the Storm looking at the All Blacks for motivation and inspiration.

Well the All Blacks are looking at the NFL.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Is it just me, or are the Warriors looking at past Warriors teams.:hilarious:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List

2. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

The only thing our current squad are looking at, is themselves in the mirror

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The NRL teams have been going to the NFL clubs on fact finding missions since the 1980's. The All Blacks doing it isn't anything revolutionary. Yes the Storm have talked to the All Blacks, they are the type of club that would be talking to a lot of outside influences. They also use their location in Melbourne to talk to AFL clubs about kicking and catching high balls.

I'm not sure if any Warriors staff throughout our history have done much travelling to the States and seen NFL clubs during the off season.

As far as relationships with NZ rugby. I might be wrong as I'm going by memory but I think Anderson may have had a bit of a relationship with John Mitchell, maybe Cleary with Wayne Smith. We had Henry come into review things.

The last few years we have been changing coaches so often or if the coach is in his second year he's been bringing in new assistants so we end up with a fresh regime that needs to be onsite getting to know the players and the club; probably no time to go overseas to the NFL for fact finding missions.

• List
  4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Wayne Smith came to learn from John Monie:D:rolleyes:

Just another thought. I went out to watch the LPGA golf this weekend in Auckland.

I noticed something obvious, they were all totally professional and talented golfers, most of the best in the world in fact.
    They were all very fit and obviously worked on their fitness and diets. To look at any one of them on the odd hole, allowing for the odd cockup of course they all looked about the same skill level, an exception being Lydia Ko who is way behind the average in distance, but I digress, her short game is right up there.
    On the first day I watched one particular young lady. What a talent, what a swing, poetry in motion. Needless to say she was very attractive as well, but I digress.
    After the first day she was actually level with Lydia Ko, which was about 12th, which isn't very good by Lydia's standards, but even in a poor year that has been about her average placing.
    So I thought this girl is going to have a good tournament. Guess what, she missed the cut.
    I thought to myself, there goes the Warriors. They have the talent, they look good, they train well, they have a dietitian and weight trainer, just like these girls, and just like all the other clubs in the NRL.
    My point is that having all the talent is just your entry fee. It is what you do with it that counts.
    Lydia Ko is 135th in the world on driving distance, but she is still in the top twenty on results, and used to be number one. So she makes up for her lack of distance with remarkable accuracy and a short game that is as good as anybody. Her putting is a little off the boil right now but she is still going to grind out close to a top ten placing tomorrow. She is a grinder if ever there was.
    That is what the top professionals do, they are always there or thereabouts, they are very consistent. They don't make excuses, when they play a bad shot they make up for it soon after.
    Oh, and I have an apology for the young lady I was talking about. She is not lazy, or with a weak attitude. She has had a lot of injury, so she hasn't had much tournament play in the last couple of years, so not much money to pay for travel, accommodation, coaches, dietitians and the like, but that didn't show at all. She only missed the cut by one stroke, which is very unfortunate. She has the attitude and talent, her body isn't matching it right now. I should not dare compare her with the useless bastards we have at the Warriors right now.
    In contrast the Warriors have it all laid on, the lazy bastards, and I wonder about the rest of the people in the club as well.
    I spent a weekend watching true professionals, some who don't earn anything like the Warriors.
    Rant over.:mad:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

Better roster this year than next ? no way !!.......our roster this year was average, next year, better than average lol

we had a broken down Foran and that was it, regardless of what people say, i think the players we have bought for 2018 are an upgrade on what we had

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  6. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Interestingly enough Uncle Ivan’s (who many have been wanting to return) record since he left us is also at 45%...

• List
  7. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

Cleary unfortunately got struck down with ridiculous injury tolls his whole time at Penrith. Completely out of his control unfortunately.

• List
  8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Cleary had a proven record, Kearney has not. So he is a gamble that might pay off, or it might not. I hope for the latter, but it had better be.

9. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

The difference between Ivan and other coaches the Warriors have had is that he knows how to build and develop clubs.

Look at the development of Penrith compared to the Warriors, already he has made great strides at West Tigers, who will be competitive next season.

• List
  10. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

The difference between Ivan & Kearney is Ivan is smart and amiable whereas Kearney is dumb and smug.

• List
  11. stacky18
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2013

stacky18 1st Grade Fringe

Our roster this year was OK. It is far from perfect but there was enough talent in that squad to win games of footy.
    As has happened since Ivan left, the squad looks to be missing the attitude and belief to win games.
    When Ivan was coach our squad was far from perfect and had plenty of rookies, and journey men required to do the heavy lifting and win games of footy. Somehow they managed to win and be a rather consistent team.
    Ivan was able to get more out of a squad with less.
    None of the 5 coaches since Ivans departure has been able to get 17 players to play footy week in week out in a warriors jersey.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Kearney is smart, he just doesn't necessarily show it. I think he might be a smug person though, which is okay as long as your performances match. The jury is still out, hopefully we are going to find a gem of a coach this season.

13. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

Have you got any examples where Kearney has demonstrated his smarts? The guy can not even name a team or use a bench properly let alone grasp the concept that to win a game you actually need to score more points than your opposition. I think the more likely outcome is that Kearney proves to be the worst NRL coach of all time.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  14. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 1st Grade Fringe

I would say the injury toll for the Warriors this season was ridiculous too. A huge number of players were sidelined throughout the course of the year which was out of Kearney's control. Hopefully the best 17 can stay on the field for longer periods next year, then I think we'll be able to make an accurate assessment of his coaching credentials.

15. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Yes he had injuries, but he didn't have a quality squad either.
    When he was first signed as a Warriors player back in 1995 he had the reputation as a very knowledgeable player in the team in passing on professional advice to younger players, he also did a university degree here in his spare time. The guy is no fool but coaching in the NRL is a tough job.

• List
  16. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 1st Grade Fringe

Another reason why we should be reserving our judgement until next year. He will now have a group of players that he's chosen under his watch.

• List
  17. RICHMAN
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2017

RICHMAN Warriors Bench Player

Sure does, Seen it in the last week.
    How about a lack of understanding about what is required to be a professional footballer?

18. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012