Internationals TONGA RLWC 2017 Campaign

Discussion in 'International/Representative League' started by mt.wellington, Oct 4, 2017.

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

TONGA RLWC 2017 Campaign
    Mate Ma'a Tonga

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

As with the last RLWC I've adopted another team. This one is easy as it's my own heritage. What better way to kick off this thread than this piece of awesome news...

Jason Taumalolo: Why I chose Tonga over Kiwis

4 Oct, 2017 4:06pm

Jason Taumalolo during a North Queensland Cowboys NRL media opportunity at Cowboys HQ on September 25, 2017 in Townsville, Australia. Photo / File.
    NZ Herald

North Queensland superstar Jason Taumalolo has spoken out about his shock decision to choose Tonga over New Zealand for the upcoming rugby league World Cup.

Taumalolo released a statement this afternoon saying he made the decision to help the Tongan World Cup campaign and the development of rugby league in the country.

"I really enjoyed my time within the Tongan World Cup Squad last time and have had a long time association with Tongan Coach Kristian Woolf," said Taumalolo.

"I just feel it's time to give back and hopefully I can assist and inspire young Tongan players to chase their NRL goals.

"I see with the new international rule change an opportunity to represent both Tonga and NZ throughout my career, I have and will always be proud to wear the Kiwis Jersey. I just feel the World Cup provides developing nations like Tonga and opportunity to play on the big stage and I would like to help them with their campaign."

Taumalolo's withdrawal has rocked the Kiwis' preparation following news today that Melbourne premiership winner Tohu Harris will miss the tournament due to injury, following confirmation last week that Kieran Foran had also withdrawn from the tournament to focus recovering from an injury-riddled season.

New Zealand play Tonga on November 11 at Hamilton's Waikato Stadium, which will pit Taumalolo against his former Kiwi teammates.

The 2016 Dally M Medallist has been unstoppable for the Cowboys this year, running more than 5000m this season.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

3. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

• Funny Funny x 22
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Honest question. If they had to choose between Tonga and the Kiwis, period, no turning back, what would they do? That is the way it should be. I never want to see him in a Kiwi jersey again, ever. He has chosen Tonga, good luck to him and every Tongan player that wants to do the same, but don't come back.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  6. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

Jumping on the Tonga bandwagon. Kuck Fidwell and Fuck the Kiwis until he's gone. More players should follow JT's example to get real change happening.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Mate the NZRL has been a basket case for a couple of decades now at least. We have had some pretty useless coaches in that time as well, and I mean useless. However there was always a proud spirit in the Kiwi team and respect for the jersey, especially in test matches. That came from the senior core of players and the skipper, even when most players were not even in the NSWRL or NRL. That debacle at Eden Park in 1988 when the coach was Tony Gordon. He had them all fired up for the haka but they were stuffed after that, no tactics only guts and determination from the players. It was heartbreaking watching them, they were a good side. Yet there was never any shite about I am going to pay for Tonga, and there were two Tongan descent players in the team. Things have changed, let them go, let them all fuck off and go I say, just don't come back.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  8. Selector
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2015

Selector 1st Grade Fringe

My Tonga squad. Offical squad will be annouced tomorrow

Tonga

1. Hopoate
    2. Tupou
    3. Hurrell
    4. Kata
    5. Vatuvei
    6. Lolohea
    7. Hingano
    8. Moa
    9. Katoa
    10. Latu
    11. Manu
    12. Pulu
    13. Taumalolo

14. Politini
    15. Paasi
    16. Ofahengaue
    17. Fonua-Blake

Fonua, Feki, Suli, Terepo, Langi, , Vave, Vea

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

What a travesty it would be if they did anything spectacular.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 Warriors Bench Player

I like in principle what the RLIF were attempting to do with the relaxing of the eligibility rules but I think its somewhat backfired. Aside from the
    Taumalolo drama, the tug-of-war between Fiji and Tonga for Michael Jennings services is not a good look. He's already played for Tonga this year so should be playing for Tonga.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  11. Selector
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2015

Selector 1st Grade Fringe

He won't be playing for either side. He was selected for Australia.

• List
  12. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

my understanding was the player could choose a 2nd or 3rd tier nation to represent if they were not selected by the tier 1 nation of their declared allegiance, so in short if JT is selected by NZ then he can not turn out for Tonga?(correct me if i'm mistaken)

13. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 Warriors Bench Player

He wasn't named in the 24 man Australian squad. Has he had a late call up? Have found the article below which confirms he was in this years Tongan squad, but didn't actually take the field:
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

I think if a player has already represented a first tier then a second tier nation, they should not get the option for a third, otherwise we could end up with all sorts of revolving doors.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Raw Power
    Join:
    Aug 30, 2016

Raw Power Warriors Bench Player

Jason Taumalolo... what a kick in the guts. You can't tell me if he had originally chose to play for QLD and the Kangaroos he would even contemplate or be allowed to represent Tonga... What a Fricken JOKE

• List
  15. koolkat
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

koolkat Get rid of the rot Contributor

What a joke..stick with one team.what a stupid rule.can he play origin to now.i think that's what it's about

16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

If a tier one nation chooses a Polynesian player its ok but as soon as the shoes on the other foot you all cry like sooks lol. No one gave a shit when the Kiwis selected Solomone Kata for last years Tour to the UK. No one cared when the Kiwis selected Suaia Matagi last RLWC just to play Samoa. A team he had played for only 6 months before.

I don't believe Buzz's rumour of JT doing it out of spite. From his own quotes he is doing it to give back to the Tongan community. That is something admirable that we should be applauding. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest otherwise apart from making one plus one equal six or whatever other tin foil hat theories anyone wants to come up with.

Its certainly not his fault the eligibility rules are the way they are. They were relaxed to strengthen the tier two teams and JT playing for MMT has done exactly that. I for one cant wait to see the best forward in the world wear red. Come ANZAC time he will return and the lack of depth in the pack with the Kiwis will ensure he is first one selected...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  17. 95 'til infinity
    Join:
    Jul 29, 2013

95 'til infinity 1st Grade Fringe

1000%

18. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

19. Harlz
    Join:
    Aug 15, 2013

Harlz 1st Grade Fringe

Radio Sports were reading a txt out saying "Islanders dont refer to themselves as kiwi's rather than by their heritage so JT is most likely doing this for his parents and is proud of his Tongan ancestry hence his change of allegiance". I'm calling BS! Apply that same analogy with a Maori boy who had to chose playing for the All blacks or Maori All blacks. Yeah, thought so.

• List
  20. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

I agree with the rest of your post, but taking a league players word for anything is perilous at best, naive at worst. League players dribble absolute shit in their sleep. Lets not forget "Looking for a new challenge" or "Following my dream" being buzzwords for "I love money"

I really doubt JT would have jumped ship if the Kiwis knew their head from their arse.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    • List