General Discussion Tony Iro's new role

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Maraea, Oct 13, 2015.

1. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

and John Hart predicted the whole mess...Eric Watson has learned obviously and this might be the year we bathe in some glory...IMO the bums on seats will swell if we get a good start

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I agree with what you say except that Doyle is one for accountability, both ways. He obviously picked Iro for a reason and it looks like it might be panning out just fine.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

As mentioned already but I also give credit to Tony Iro as well as Jim Doyle.

Extremely satisfying with the recruits seems as though Iro has found his niche and is delivering far beyond expectations.

Makes a hell of a change from signings like Tomkins, Nielsen, Lowrie, Peyroux, Townsend etc.

• List
  5. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

think you're being a bit harsh on Tomkins and Nielsen. Sure they didn't deliver on what they could have done. But reality was - Tomkins had scored 144 tries from 151 games in superleague and was the English fullback. Nielsen was a premiership winning and SOO centre who had personal issues here.

• List
  6. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

You pretty much answered your own statement.

7. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

but we didn't know what they would turn out like here. whether it's a failure on the player, the coaching, or the team itself... they were the best options available at the time. not every signing works out great. We don't know that RTS and Luke will be fantastic... the warriors is a different side, and sometimes players don't gel.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Tomkins never made a line break in two years while he was here and Nielsen went to the Dragons and was shit there too.

They looked classy in strong teams prior to signing here but you can't say our team was strong before they got here.

I bet you RTS & Luke will thrive here, they've both practically played alongside most of our squad before they signed here.

• List

9. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

According to nrl.com - in 2014, Tomkins scored 13 tries, made 11 linebreaks, and averaged over 100 metres per game (from all runs, not hitups). In 2015, a season he was homesick and injured, he made 2 linebreaks in 13 injury affected games.

I think you're being way too harsh. Last season Tomkins was one of our best.

Nielsen - no doubt he was substandard here. I don't know how much was due to the personal issues he suffered while here. So I'm not sticking up for his form, but it's not necessarily public knowledge how severe some of his demons were.

I honestly hope you're right about RTS and Luke. Part of me is worried though that the warriors system could wreck them...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  10. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

It's not harsh it's just an honest opinion.

I don't think Tomkins delivered on the salary he was on, to me he was overpaid and we still never made the finals that's how I judge how good a player is.

• List
  11. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

I don't think he delivered on the salary he was on either. But I still think he was a risk worth taking. In 2014 he played well even though getting used to the NRL. This year was interrupted by injury and potentially homesickness.

You judge players on the fact we never made the finals? So on that basis - anyone who has played for the warriors in 2012-2015 isn't very good... Including SJ, Manu, Matulino, Lillyman, Hoffman etc etc etc. One player does not make a team.

12. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

No I'm only discussing Tomkins not the others.

Heck we made the finals in 2010 & 2011 with Knobby at fullback yet he's probably not even worth half of what Tomkins was on.

• List
  13. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

I understand your views on Tomkins and I don't think he delivered for what he was paid. However there were good signs last year.

To judge one player on whether or not we made the finals or not though... I still think that's harsh. The club has been a clusterfuck since 2012, and they're only just starting to get things sorted recruitment wise, leadership wise, and off the field.

Regardless, Tomkins was here, now he's not. And we're moving in a better direction, so I am thankful for that.

• List
  14. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

2012 the club was in a terrible state under Bluey only now are we recovering from that mistake.

2013 Knobby was playing good footy. Good enough to be the number 1 fullback for the Kiwis at the World Cup then he got the shaft from here.

I rated Tomkins before he got here but even Knobby would take the line on more often then him.. Tomkins always passed it or slipped over.. I never read too much into stats they never tell the full story.

• List
  15. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

I loved Locke as a player. I felt we should have kept him, and potentially kept him at fullback, with Tomkins partnering SJ in the halves, and Leuluai going to hooker (with Friend as cover). Tomkins at fullback was too predictable, and too small. He was smaller than Locke, slipped a lot, and didn't seem to have his heart in it here. Talented, skillful player - but perhaps we needed him in the halves as opposed to at the back (although his front on defence would have been challenged there). But recruitment has improved - whether that is Doyle, Iro, or a combination of both - the club is moving in the right direction now.

I hope another club does pick Locke up and get him back in form and playing well. So much talent, but so misguided!

*Sorry mods for taking this one off topic a bit - will be interesting to see how we keep going in the future recruitment stakes with Iro in this role.

• List
  16. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Playing devils advocate a little and taking a cup half empty veiw of Iro"s recruitment role so far:

After Jim Doyle signed THE BIG TWO.....any signings thereafter are kind of a bonus....and Luke plus RTS make it all Rosey.

Take those two out of the picture when measuring Iro.....

• He's signed a couple of old buggers (ALi + Robo) and a journeyman Ayshford.....with two junior talents.
    I recon people would be spewing in this thread if you took out the Doyle signings.So in that regard I'm gonna sit on the fence a little while longer.

Fortunately we live in the real world, and in this time space continuum Tony Iro plus Jim Doyle equals a combination of Big name signings and then some unlikely signings that look really interesting.

Doyle is a CEO with some serious contacts the other bloke is a recruitment officer that has very quickly locked into some emerging talent and overseen signing some old boys to make a blend.

In terms of Iro.....I've gotta say that I am really glad he sat down with James Gavet. To me that suggests Iro is not a closed minded individual.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  17. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Either way they were highly paid under-performers and I am glad they are gone.

• List
  18. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Isn't that essentially saying, "Apart from winning the GF, what did they really do last year?"

Everything in sport is a team effort, on the field and off. Like others, and I believe you yourself have said, Iro had been a key contributor to the Kiwis for a long time now, and likely forged a strong relationship with many of the players - it'd be a little naive to think that he had nothing to do with the signing of Isaac and Roger, wouldn't it?

• List
  19. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Quite right its a cup half full veiw that you often see from naysayers ' Wayne Bennett won the world cup for the Kiwis'.

Its just interesting to watch opinions change in a climate of optimism including my own. Everyone knows Jim Doyle is the man, I'm not sure Iro did some work on those guys, but the game changer on those signings was JD. Bell was still there....just.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  20. DANZ
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2013

DANZ 1st Grade Fringe

From what I've heard it wasnt too hard to get Luke and RTS to sign - they were both actually real keen to come home - RTS been on lockdown with his parents who are also in Sydney, wanted a bit of freedom.

Isaac Luke really wants to be closer to his whanau - think he's got nieces/nephews he hasnt spent much time with so wanted to be close to them.

Probably helped having Jim Doyle on board but I wouldnt say he was THE reason for them being signed. Tony Iro probably could of got the job done if he was in that role.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List