General Discussion Warriors Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by bruce, Aug 31, 2017.

1. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I wonder if George can improve this. More likely he has been given command of the Titanic.
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Where are the fans? Warriors' crowds one of the lowest in NRL
    The Warriors have one of the worst attendance records in the NRL this season, with only the Rabbitohs attracting fewer fans on a weekly basis, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

The Warriors had an average attendance of 11,754 fans across their 12 home games this season, placing them 15th out of the 16 NRL clubs, the SMH reports.

The Rabbitohs sit at the bottom of the list with an average home crowd of just 10,903. The Brisbane Broncos easily pull the biggest crowds with an average attendance of 31,372 at Suncorp Stadium, the SMH reports.

The Warriors currently sit in 13th on the NRL table having lost eight straight games which explains the drop in fans however results don't seem to affect the Newcastle faithful with the bottom-placed Knights pulling in the fifth best average crowd of 15,173.

The Warriors failed to top 14,000 fans once during the season, according to NRL.com, with their highest crowd figure coming in the round 12 clash against the Broncos. That game was the Warriors' only Saturday night home game of the season.

According to NRL.com, Sunday's final home game against the Sea Eagles, played on a wet Sunday afternoon, was the Warriors' lowest attended match of the season with 9,167 fans going to the golden point defeat.

In 2016, the Warriors topped 14,000 on seven occasions with a season best of 17,409 against the Rabbitohs in round 23.

2. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Really? Where are the fans needs a question mark? After 6 years of rubbish it's a wonder we still average over 10k.

Clearly the masses have had enough.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

If we get beaten this weekend watch the season tickets drop off, and there will be no rock star like Foran on the phones this time around. Doyle has run out of rabbits in the hat, except running away and leaving it to George. There are whispers George was not a fan of Kearney being signed so if the trend continues things between them could get interesting, won't do much for the club nest season though.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  4. FAN
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2014

FAN 1st Grade Fringe

Just on that last part about SK. TBH I hope that is true, so he gives him the boot faster than a David Tua left hook !!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • List
  5. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

If true, and SK is punted hopefully the best man for job is appointed. This person would then need to be given a remit similar to Nathan Brown.

Personally, if people see such changes it may result in maintaining their alliance to the club.

All what I want see is players having a dig and playing reasonable brand of football.

Normally I would be itching to go to Sunday's game vs Tigers, however I'm currently more inclined to watch it on Fox.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  6. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The attendance dropping isn't a surprise with the results. This years results are off the back of lean results of previous years so it is easy to see why people have either had enough or the walk up crowd has evaporated.

One difference also this year is with the new broadcasting deal we have moved from predominantly Sunday afternoon to having a few Friday night games as our time zone suits it better than rushing home and to the stadium by 6pm or straight to the stadium after work in Australia. It is probably better here but still with Auckland traffic a lot of people probably get through and get home then debate if they should head out again to the cold stadium.

If we were winning chances are the day and time wouldn't be an issue but it is worth bringing up seeing as it is something that is different to previous years.

Even with our time zone advantage Friday night is still a good TV viewing time slot so we may get shifted if we continue to dish up poor displays in front of small crowds.

New owners, new management aside whoever is in charge have their work cut out for them turning things around.

• List
  7. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Where are the fans? Warriors' crowds one of the lowest in NRL
    31 Aug, 2017 7:04am
    2 minutes to read

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Fans and supporters in the crowd during the Warriors clash with the Knights. Photosport
    NZ Herald

The Warriors failed to top 14,000 fans once during the season, according to NRL.com, with their highest crowd figure coming in the round 12 clash against the Broncos. That game was the Warriors' only Saturday night home game of the season.

According to NRL.com, Sunday's final home game against the Sea Eagles, played on a wet Sunday afternoon, was the Warriors' lowest attended match of the season with 9,167 fans going to the golden point defeat.

In 2016, the Warriors topped 14,000 on seven occasions with a season best of 17,409 against the Rabbitohs in round 23.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2017
    • List
  8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

No surprises about the numbers. Fact is people dont support losers and that's exactly what the team are right now.

I reckon there are some 5,000 diehard fans who will show up week in week out regardless of the teams fortunes. Unfortunately the club need 10,000 people walking through the gates to break even at Mt Smart.

The last couple of home games the club have posted on the big screen a crowd number of 9,000 plus. Honestly that was complete rubbish. Standing there looking around there was no way there was close to that figure in the stadium. Calling bullshit on the count...

• List

9. cro.warrior
    Join:
    Jul 14, 2013

cro.warrior 1st Grade Fringe

What you give, is what you get.

• List
  10. kurgal
    Join:
    Aug 18, 2013

kurgal Warriors Bench Player

well it's no mystery

• List
  11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Come on now. Are you accusing Jim Doyle of bullshit?;)

12. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

I may be being selfish but I can't stand the 4pm Sunday games.
    And apparently this club specifically asks for Sunday games ?

What's more electric than a Saturday night atmosphere?

• List
  13. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

Do they count season ticket holders who don't turn up on the day?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  14. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

That won't be Jimbo's fault because he's only in charge of delegation.

15. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

What does 6000 fans look like in a 60000 seat waterfront stadium?

Owen Glenn's stupid vision is officially dead.

Now can we get back to the business of winning footy games. That's how you get the fans back. Nothing else will turn this trend.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  16. drunk_monk
    Join:
    May 15, 2014

drunk_monk 1st Grade Fringe

That's a great average based on the results. Good on you..
    What blows my mind is when Sydney club's drop to the bottom.

17. ejbrenu2
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2017

ejbrenu2 Warriors Bench Player

One of the few pleasures left watching The Warriors games is guess the attendance. To be honest a few times I have started counting people our attack is that boring, unfortunately when I get to 10 I struggle and have to restart.

18. Old Sid
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

Old Sid 1st Grade Fringe

Spot on here.

Nothing to be proud of with our performances this season. But...

Even the Sydney crowds are rubbish when the team's are not in the 8, it's cold and raining.

And when two Sydney teams are playing each other, then the crowd should be halved as far as count is concerned.. 50% each.

It's a joke to claim that they win away from home when they are playing at their home ground...duh?

19. RICHMAN
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2017

RICHMAN Warriors Bench Player

They were all in the corporate boxes:). I think you will find even if season ticket holders are not there they are counted

20. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Matulino#1 1st Grade Fringe

It doesn't surprise me one bit.

Following our defeat of the Titans last year we had a home game against the lowly Rabbits in Round 23 - We were in the Top 8 and looking to push for a higher spot.

I had the choice of an event on Waiheke Island, A housewarming party or going a long to the Warriors. I went along and there was a very decent crowd of 17,000 + as was the anticipation.

We trailed 31 - 6 at halftime.

You can only take that shit for so long, the loss to the Tigers a few weeks later only hammered it home further.

What they have dished up this year, I'd say 9,000 is a bloody good crowd.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List