General Discussion Warriors Community Initiatives

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Ever Hopeful, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

It is easy to get caught up in the on-field disappointments, but sometimes you forget how much this club does for the community.

I’m a secondary school teacher in the Horowhenua, which is an area with a lot of challenges – domestic violence, and poverty in particular.

I run several social project initiatives through my classes and a community action group. This year, amongst other things, I have a class who are filling backpacks with new possessions for children who are removed from their families and put in foster/state care in conjunction with local police and other advocacy groups in the area.

The students sent an email explaining what they were doing and asking for assistance to many different organisations. In response they received a very quick reply from the Warriors praising them for their efforts and offering to send Warriors “goody bags” for the children they are trying to help.

The students that sent the request for assistance were very excited and empowered to get an affirming reply from the club, and are now motivated to be further involved in other altruistic endeavours. Our aim at school is to create better people, who feel capable of connecting with their local communities and doing positive things for others.

The club has enabled my students to feel confident in their ability to do this, and for that I would like to give my humble thanks to the club. It is great to be a fan of this club on and off the field.

We are all very pleased to be offering some cheer to little people who need it during a tumultuous time. Who knows, there could be a future SJ in there somewhere (but hopefully also a big, angry prop or two)?

Well done NZ Warriors.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 24
    • List

2. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome to hear. I know that Petrece and the team in the community department have really been leaders with this in the NRL for a long time. When we try to find positives through all the negatives at the moment, this is the key aspect that stands out to me. Are they kicking arse and winning games on the field at the moment? No. But is the club a leader in regards to the NRL at supporting their community? I would say that would be a yes.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  3. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Amen to that. Any organisation with social responsibility as one of it's bottom lines has my respect in spades.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Great share Ever HopefulEver Hopeful. Important to remember its just a game and there are a lot more important things out there...

[Community] Huge mobile classroom rolls in
    Richard Becht | Image: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Fri 28th July, 03:00PM
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Mount Smart Stadium already boasts New Zealand's biggest television screen and tonight it also plays host to the country's biggest mobile classroom, an initiative the Tu Kaha Foundation and the Vodafone Warriors have partnered up in.

The massive rig - a 600hp Mack Super-Liner and customised trailer - rolled into the stadium early this afternoon before being wedged into position in the Harvey Norman Community Fun Zone just behind the deadball line at the northern end of the field.

The imposing truck and trailer unit - branded in Vodafone Warriors colours and logos - stretches out to about 23 metres in length when it's opened up to create the entrance to the classroom inside. The sides also fold down to provide plenty of floor space for a teaching area also featuring a big screen.

The Tu Kaha Foundation commissioned the state of the art mobile classroom with the intention of taking its Tu Kaha values programme to decile one schools around the country with a specific focus on rural areas.

The Vodafone Warriors have partnered up with the foundation in the project which is closely aligned with the club's Harvey Norman Community Warriors education philosophies.

The Tu Kaha programme aims to help year five-to-nine children to make the best decisions possible in life by focusing on a solid value base delivered through a curriculum enhanced by the endorsement of Vodafone Warriors players and management.

The classroom will be open for members and fans to visit throughout the Vodafone Warriors' NYC and NRL games against the Cronulla Sharks tonight (gates open at 5.30pm). Interactive activities will be available to give parents and children an early insight into this exciting new initiative.

Central to the learning programme is Taonga by TM ('T' for Tui-kaye Cole, whose partner is Vodafone Warriors prop Jacob Lillyman, and 'M' for Maria Hahipene, whose partner is Vodafone Warriors centre Blake Ayshford).

Cole (Ngati Whatua) and Hahipene (Ngati Awa) "identified an opportunity to reinvigorate the use of Te Reo Māori (Māori language) by bridging the gap between the home and school."

The programme's website says: "Taonga by TM provides high quality Māori resources, creative design and personalised prints. Knowing that Māori language can vary from tribe to tribe, iwi to iwi, Taonga by TM can personalise items specific to your needs and wants."

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. for more about Taonga by TM.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

[Community] Gavet's special role
    Savannah Tafau-Levy | Image: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Mon 21st August, 11:58AM Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    James Gavet during a Vodafone Warriors media session at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand. NRL Rugby League. Wednesday 10 May 2017 © Copyright photo: Andrew Cornaga / Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Vodafone Warriors prop James Gavet has taken up a role as an ambassador for Physical Disabilities Rugby League New Zealand (PDRLNZ).

PDRLNZ is for any able-bodied athlete with a physical disability who has a desire to play rugby league. The game has been modified depending on the impairment level of each individual.

After attending team trainings at the Otara Scorpions’ home base in South Auckland, Gavet saw the difficulties they faced to get team sponsorship and gear as well as attendance and travel to and from trainings.

“We approached James to be our ambassador because he epitomises our core values of respect, integrity, acceptance of diversity and the belief that all things are possible,” said PDRLNZ spokeswoman Sandra Hickey.

Gavet, who is in rehab with a broken arm, says his recovery from the injury has provided him a better understanding of what it feels like being physically disabled.

“These people soldier on every day. You don’t even realise how much we take for granted with the smallest things like hanging up the washing, getting dressed, showering and in a lot of cases getting out of bed,” he said.

“It’s a big deal to me because they are athletes, too. They’ve just had a bad run”.

Hickey says the PDRLNZ’s mission is to ensure the theoretical right to sport is met providing physically disabled people across New Zealand with unique rugby league experiences.

“For those playing it is a life changer to be able to play the game that they love instead of watching from home or the side lines,” she said.

Gavet is fighting for greater recognition for PDRLNZ.

“They’re no different to our Paralympians who get sponsorships, first-class treatment and television exposure. They need all the support they can get,” he said.

“Sir Peter Leitch has put a few ads for PDRL in his newsletters which has been huge.

“I’ve got a lot respect for these people. To keep fit and excel in a sport on top of their daily struggles is simply amazing”.

PDLRNZ is working towards a nines tournament in November which will include New South Wales Physical Disabilities Rugby League Australia (NSWPDRLA) teams hosted in Auckland. Teams featured include the Manly Sea Eagles, South Sydney Rabbitohs and the newly-formed West Tigers and Waitemata Seagulls.

The tournament will be played at Waitemata’s home ground Ranui Domain in Waitakere City from November 3-5.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  6. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl 1st Grade Fringe

Just want to follow up on some of the positive stuff the fellas do in the community.

Bumped into Bully today in Britomart campaigning for the Asthma Foundation. Stopped and had a good chat with him. Nice fella and something he is passionate about.

Considering other fellas are off on holidays already it was great to see him out there genuinely supporting a cause that effects many.

Chur

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Warriors need to do more stories on this type of stuff instead writing a review of the Tigers game and calling it a disappointing end to the season. Really!? The person who did the most was Manu Vatuvei and more often than not it was random visits to Starship. I was there visiting my niece when he came in once and spent over an hour with us. Nurse said afterwards that he always made unannounced visits and spent time there...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List
  8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

How much more awesome is all the awesome community work these guys do if we've just won the NRL?

Just saying. Children need positive role models growing up more than anything. So if they get to meet champions helping people out it can make a big difference to their future decisions.

• List

9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Nobody doubts the Warriors are some of the nicest guys in the NRL. Apparently Elijah Taylor did a lot of unnoticed work as well when he was at the club. Although I definitely would not want a grub like Greg Bird or Matty Johns (funny how they are both from the Hunter) I would like a little more emphasis on getting closer to number 8 on the ladder.

10. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

the two arent exclusive though. All organisations need to do more to promote the positives that they bring to society. There is plenty of looking at the negatives and as in all things it needs balance. For every Carney there is a Manu. Hell just think the players just on their wages alone are in the top earners categories of NZers.
    Karma can be a bitch or a friend. IMO the club should give away more tickets to children, schools, the disadvantaged... The players should let people know when they do good stuff, not for the publicity but so that people relate more to them as people not idols or heroes.

• List
  11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

How embarrassing, the sledgers will have a field day next season.:facepalm:
    Pupils made to say sorry to Warriors for curly questions
    Two pupils at an Auckland school were sent to "time out" and made to write an apology letter after asking visiting Warriors players why they lost so often.

Blockhouse Bay Intermediate principal Michael Malins confirmed the school's action, but wouldn't reveal the exact wording of the questions.

But the Weekend Herald has been told by a source that one student asked why the team were so bad, and a second pupil - said to be a football fan who knew little about rugby league - asked where the team sat on the points table during the school visit earlier this month.

The Warriors finished the 2017 NRL in 13th position out of 16 teams; a result which has left long-suffering fans fuming especially given their star-studded playing roster including Shaun Johnson, Kieran Foran, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Isaac Luke.
    Malins confirmed yesterday that the school's deputy principal spoke to two boys about the nature of their questions which were deemed "disrespectful" to the school's guests.

"The boys had time out to think about their actions and wrote letters of apology to the Warriors for disrespecting our school value of Manaakitanga. This was not a punishment, rather a restorative practice to apologise," he said.

Manaakitanga roughly translates to "hospitality" in English.

The online Māori Dictionary defines the term as "the process of showing respect, generosity and care for others".

The questions posed by the two schoolboys echoed those asked by many fans who saw the team - ranked as title contenders by some pundits on both sides of the Tasman pre-season - as big-time flops.

Warriors chief executive Cameron George confirmed the club received an apology letter from two Blockhouse Bay Intermediate schoolboys.
    He would not comment on the appropriateness of the reprimand, saying that was up to the school to determine.

While he didn't witness the questions being asked, he told the Weekend Herald he understood they were about the team's on-field performance.

George said attending community events and school visits was "one of the good things" about being in the team and the players that visited Blockhouse Bay Intermediate "absolutely" still enjoyed the experience.

The team was used to fielding curly questions from both the media and school kids, he said.

"They're hard men. It's not the first time they've been questioned."

The Warriors finished the season on a losing streak of nine losses in a row; the worst in their 22-year history.

On the eve of the last match of the season - which they lost to the Wests Tigers in Sydney - coach Steve Kearney tried to be upbeat and create positives from failed season.

"I've got to say that through the course of the year it's been very challenging in the sense of results but they've turned up every week with a real attitude to want to improve," Kearney said.

"Their attitudes and energies have been wonderful given the circumstances."

And their faltering year saw many of their previous most-loyal fans turn on them via social media, including on the Warriors very own Facebook page.

The numbers of fans turning up at Mt Smart for home games also dwindled in 2017, with the Warriors having an average home attendance of 11,754 a match - the second lowest of all the NRL's 15 teams.

As the side fell apart on the field, owner Eric Watson also signalled towards the end of the season that he was prepared to sell the club which he bought in late 2000.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Education said it had not been made aware of the incident.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Fucking amateur club.
    Immune from criticism.
    Don't you dare critisize us.
    Nice start Mr new CEO.
    Feel good about yourselves after bullying primary children ?

13. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

Be fair, it was a PC reaction from the School and not prompted from the Warriors. I would hope that these are questions they are asking themselves.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

PC gone bloody mad. It is the feminist trend but how embarrassing for the club. The truth hurts sometimes, maybe it could be turned into a positive.

If I were Cameron George I would have sent a polite letter back to the school saying that rugby league is a hard game and that asking why you are not winning is what the fans are asking every week. Offer the kids tickets to the next game.

What they should do is to send the letter to all the other clubs to rile the boys up next season.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I think George should do more than that. The kids should not be left at the mercy of some feminist PC Nazi without some effort on their behalf.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. the borg
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

the borg Warriors Bench Player

Not sure if this is the right thread or not....but could not believe what i saw in the papers ... that some school kids had to appologise for asking why the warriors always lose.. That is disgusting ... is this the culture that warriors want to sell. If they cant even answer and be honest to a bunch of children who look up to them ... well fuck them.. now IMO I want to see a dammed good excuse .. or thats it 23 yrs of support, but trash the kids ... gone too far now...

• List
  17. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

You've got it wrong, the club never asked for an apology and players answered the questions openly.

The school however felt that the context of the questions didn't fit within their PC bullshit ethos so made the pupils write letters of apology to the Warriors club.

Sounds like schools are in the business of producing limp wristed wet heads these days.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List