General Discussion Warriors Contract/Salary Discussion Top 30

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by hotdogRL, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Good question. I've been trying to put our squad together to see how many spots we have left but can't seem to do it.

The 'Football Profiles' page on the Warriors website has 29 players under the 'Telstra Premiership' tab (which at first I assumed was the first grade squad), however it's still missing a few players that we've already signed (Blair, Hiku, Beale and Harris). This tells me that there must be second tier players and/or development players on the list as well.

Figuring out who has what kind of contract is beyond me.

I was previously of the belief that we still had spots left for two forwards, thereby filling the vacancies left by Sipley and Thompson. Thouogh I've since stopped counting as that was an eternity ago and i got sick of waiting around for recruitment news. So anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Off the top of my head it went something like this...
    Hoffman > Harris
    Gubb > Pulu
    Lillyman > Paasi
    Matulino > Blair
    Ogden > Love-Henry
    Sipley >
    Thompson >

Someone can correct me if I've made a mistake I honestly don't remember too well.

To answer your other questions:

I don't think it's too late. In fact I think holding out is a good way to go, there are often mid-season or last minute transfers which occur due to cap restrictions.

Given there are a few clubs 'supposedly' over the cap (dogs, raiders) I think we can assume this to be the case. There was talk previously in the year that there'd be a fire-sale of players being released once the cap was finalized. This hasn't really occurred but might still be on the cards.

And yes I think we do have the cap. So far we've probably spent as much money (maybe a tiny bit more) on our new players as was made available by our departing players. With the increase in salary cap I think we've still got a bit of space to move.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. The Batman
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

The Batman 1st Grade Fringe

Pat Sipley/ Chris Satae has effectively replaced Tof, Joe Vuna has been upgraded to NRL squad.

Hoffman > Harris
    Gubb > Pulu
    Lillyman > Paasi
    Matulino > Blair
    Ogden > Joe Vuna
    Sipley > Pat Sipley/ Chris Satae

Thompson >Love-Henry

3. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Oh nice. So Sipley and Satae are on first-grade contracts now or was Tof on a second tier?

Vuna's an interesting one, thought for sure he'd be one of our development players. The club must think he's close to FG. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the trials, haven't seen too much of him.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  4. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

I guess that's our FG squad settled then. Turns out we've been waiting around for nothing.

The BatmanThe Batman Did you only just find out about these promotions recently mate?

5. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

This is probably a bit left field but I wonder if the timing of the salary cap changes hurt our recruitment.
    Most new coaches being with them players from their last squad. But Kearney’s first year with us was the year before the changes and very few players were off contract. By the time the salary cap was sorted any “team on the rise” shine we had, had truly worn off and no one would want to come here. Even if they did rate our new coach.

6. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Each club is only allowed a certain number of contracted players - unfortunately, the club needs space to bring in new players. Just because Ata was unhappy, doesn’t mean they can sign on another player until a space becomes available - I.e. Ata leaves. The Warriors would have been looking at other options - they just could sign someone until Ata left.

7. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

Weird in all this talk of singing new utility cover and FB prospect Perham promoted that they haven't said anything about Cherrington and Santo? Both supposedly on contracts for this year and they cover those positions.

Plus the Warriors website now culled Ata from the team list, but still has 39 players listed without adding Karl Lawton, but they're only allowed 30 + 6 development players so there are definitely some getting cut.

8. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

I've asked around about that - some who are listed with the FG squad are only on NSWarriors contracts and may be upgraded to FG contracts before the season starts or dropped back to only appear on the NSWarriors squad page. A suggestion was also made that there's still space for one more potential signing in the last minute scramble as the other NRL clubs finalise their squads and the salary cap. Sounds as if some clubs are still over the cap.

9. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

I wonder if Roach can suddenly be put on an NSW Cup contract for the rest of the season? It may not take his salary out of our cap but could at least free up a spot in the 30 players allowed.

10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Doubt it. He's been signed on a 1st Grade contract and I don't know how the club would go about undoing that. Unless the new rules allow for it?

razzrillingerrazzrillinger did the clubs ever release their top 30 as required by the NRL yet???

11. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Does it state in a contract if it is a first grade contract? I can understand how that would happen under the older system where there was a second tier but under the new system I wouldn’t have thought that would be needed.

12. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

The clubs had to finalise a 29 man squad by March 1st (yesterday).

They don't have to add a 30th player until June 30.

I haven't seen the squads posted anywhere though (don't recall it being visible to us in previous years either which is annoying).

13. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

I don’t see why that couldn’t be made public.

14. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

Has anyone asked.?

15. Lolohea2
    Join:
    Dec 14, 2015

Lolohea2 Waterboy

Warriors Top 30

Bunty Afoa
    Blake Ashford
    Gerard Beale
    James Bell
    Adam Blair
    Manaia Cherrington
    David Futitu’a
    James Gavet
    Anthony Gelling
    Blake Green
    Tohu Harris
    Peta Hiku
    Shaun Johnson
    Solomone Kata
    Karl Lawton
    Mason Lino
    Sam Lisone
    Issac Luke
    Simon Mannering
    Ken Maumalo
    Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
    Agnatius Paasi
    Isaiah Papalii
    Leivaha Pulu
    Nathaniel Roache
    Zac Santo
    Ligi Sao
    Jazz Tevaga
    Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
    Albert Vete

Fringe NRL Players

Sam Cook
    Matiu Love-Henry
    Junior Pauga
    Chris Satae
    Pat Sipley
    Johnny Tuivasa-Sheck

Development Players

Chanel Harris-Tavita
    Hayze Perham

Intrust Super Premiership (TBC)

Sione Afemui
    Lewis Soosemea
    Joseph Vuna
    King Vuniyawa

16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Lolohea2Lolohea2 is that an official list???

17. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

Don't believe "Fringe NRL player" is an official designation & Sam Cook's been named to play this week so that means he has to be in the Top 30 doesn't it? Hayze Perham was also mentioned as being "upgraded" at the same time as Cook, so that would imply he's no longer on a development contract. Also JTS was explicitly named as being on a reserve grade contract only so is ineligible to play first grade.

18. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Each club only need to name 29 with the final spot to be declared by June.

19. Lolohea2
    Join:
    Dec 14, 2015

Lolohea2 Waterboy

The list is going off the Big League NRL 2018 Season Guide.

I thought the same regarding Cook and Perham but haven’t seen anything confirmed like the Season Guide.

20. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

They ever release the top 30 list???