General Discussion Warriors End of Season Reveiw- Doyle's Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by The Cheap Seats, Sep 1, 2016.

1. The Cheap Seats
    Join:
    May 18, 2015

The Cheap Seats 1st Grade Fringe

The Warriors season is over and everyone at the club is winding down....
    Except for one man who has to roll up his sleeves and start his work.

Jim Doyle now has the unenviable task of dicecting the season, and having the tough talks with players, trainers, and coaching staff to see where things went right, and where things went terribly wrong.

Systems and processes will change.
    Players and staff will be moved on and replaced where needed.

Put yourself in Jim's shoes.
    How would YOU go about this review?

Who would you speak to first and last?
    Whose opinion matters more?
    What would be the main area of concern that you think would need to be addressed?

The decisions are yours, you are the CEO.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

2. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Jordan G Warriors 1st Grader

I'm giving this a couple of days before it gets renamd Sack Cappy Mk II. Interesting topic though. Will have to give it some thought.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

could be interesting if we do it like the Nrl rookie did it.
    name your 3 weakest players and why?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. The Cheap Seats
    Join:
    May 18, 2015

Yeah, funny you say that.

I've been reading the 'Sack Cappy' thread and was thinking about things from Doyle's point of veiw, which is the reason I posted this.

Everyone seems to have a fix-it opinion that seems to jump from start to finish in one step.
    But that is not how things will work in reality. Doyle is methodical, and planned.

I thought this might be an interesting thought experiment that might help us understand the nuanced process that is about to happen.

Taking time to think about an answer is good. That is what Jim will be doing.

• List
  5. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

yeah if it was up to some of the fourmmers it would be sack every one including the waterboy, then we can go get new ones,
    but unfortunately there is no magical Oak tree with first grade coaches or assistants or Big ball running props sitting underneath it waiting for the Warriors to come along and offer them $$$$$$$

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  6. The Cheap Seats
    Join:
    May 18, 2015

To get this party started......

What would your first step be in the reveiw?

7. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

players and their KPI on field they all have the gps in their Jerseys we should be able to see how far they have run etc.

we have had to many coaches but with basically the same core players and get the same results. if you have a leaking tap you don't keep replacing it do you, you go to the cause the washer.

• List
  8. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

Anyone realise that the Tigers are quite similar to us? A few different coaches over the last few years and the same results. They've had a lot of the same senior playing group too. It wasn't until they moved certain players on and dropped Farah, now they're seeing better performances.

Our club should consider doing the same - starting with Manu.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 15
    • List

9. The Cheap Seats
    Join:
    May 18, 2015

My first act in reality would be a call to Eric Watson.

He is the owner, and needs to be able to have his veiw at the beginning of the process in case he wishes to add any caveats to the review.
    For example, he instructs that in no way are we to spent more than $X amount in the front office/ on coaching staff next year. OR he might say in no uncertain terms that no matter the outcome of the review, we need a new coach.
    The owner gets his way, and it's The CEO's job to deliver these requests to the budget required.

With Watson's wishes in mind, my next step will be calling the Coaches individually for a meeting/interveiw to get their veiws on the season, and what needs to be done for next year.
    Then I would do the same for the Senior Players/ Leadership group.

All of these meetings/interveiws need to be confidential and very frank. These guys need to be able to give their honest opinions without fear.

With this information in my head, I'll be in a place to make some decisions.

Would anybody here do it differently?
    Would you employ outside help to get the reveiw done? Bring in the Sirs, Butcher and Henry and sit in on the interviews and brainstorm?

• List
  10. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Trying to be realistic.

Start with the culture/attitude/whatever that gets them to perform at a reasonable level more often. Every team has dud games once or twice, but we seem to no show the most often, especially at the start of seasons.

If you could cut in half the amount of times the coach (whoever it is) has to sit there and say ‘we prepared well, but just weren’t up to it today’ you’d be in the 8 already.

You can’t ask for any opinions on this culture from those who have only been warriors, as we’ve had this problem for ever – simon – no, shaun – no, manu – definitely not. The fuck would they know about successful cultures, being part of the kiwis is not relevant, rep teams are too different from the weekly NRL grind.

So Hoffman, Leuluai, Luke, Sheck, Justin Morgan on the coaching side, even get Robson on the skype, what do you think is attitude gap between this team and other successful teams you’ve been on?

If the answer is coach is too soft, or senior players set a bad example, or the young guys completely take it for granted. Start by making those changes.

To the extent you can, if its 10+ players fingered as being slack and pulling the rest down, then obvs you can't chuck them all out. or can you....

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  11. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Added to the above,

If the answer is the coach – make that change, as quick as you can, based on what the owner is willing pay.
    If the answer is some players – make those changes, if its realistic, paying a bit of money to make someone go away is better than them hanging around dragging the chain.
    If the answer is both, coach change first, as you need the new guy to recruit new players.

• List
  12. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

When people are saying, trying to be realistic, and ignoring the person at the top of the tree, then realism is being ignored. Doyle has to address the lack of wins first. His KPIs would be linked to it. Leadership must be maintained. Changing anything else without addressing Cappi's incompetence is a waste of time.
    If there are other changes to be made then address them after.
    if he is satisfied with Cappi, then he is obviously satisfied with cappis choices of who to play and where and there fore leave all game related issues with Cappi and get on with running the back office.

(yes i am aware i have made it into a sack cappi thread)

• List
  13. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

If Cappy stays, he needs another hardened Assistant with him. I'm happy with Morgan, he's had a good grounding through Superleague and the Storm.

Someone who can say "WTF have you been smoking" in regards to his silly bench use and inconsistent, change your mind every match use of his backs.

Graham Henry was a good start, but he has no league knowledge. Someone similar, but a more inside out understanding of the game.

Bullshit having to train the head coach after 3 years on the job, but it is what is.. I'd prefer that than another rookie coach come in.

• List
  14. Duh herro
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2015

Duh herro NSW Cup Player

To be Honest I don't envy what Doyle has to do at the end of this season. However I believe if this review is done right and is effective it will
    have the power to boost us all the way to a playoffs. So that said here is my two cents (for what its worth) on what I would do If I was in his shoes.

- Have a one on one chat with Manu and ask him if he is serious about playing till he is 35. If he is tell him he needs to Haul ass otherwise *Insert Consequence here*
    - Promote or buy a player that can balance Shaun's Brilliance with a steady core game.
    - Hire Shaun a Psychologist to work away the demons of last year as it looks like it is still bothering him. (Or as a cheaper alternative tell him to stop being a bitch and run the line. However I like the Psychologist idea better)
    - Hire another Defence coach. Maybe Have a chat with Jason Death?
    - Have a Mandatory course on not giving away Stupid Penalties. (Suggest Idea to Cappy)
    - Don't fire Cappy. For all the shit Cappy gets on this forum It would do more harm than good to get rid of him. At least let him see out his contract and THEN review his performance. The player's don't want him gone and he has been our longest coach since Cleary and brings stability to a club that has a high manager turnover rate.
    - Send out a Survey to see who has their head in the right place
    - Have a meeting with the five. Tell them to forget what happened last year and that this is a fresh start
    - Finally, get Player feedback on this season. Look at it through the eyes of the players, see how they saw this season. Maybe even add some senior plaeyrs to the coaching staff.
    Again I don't envy what Doyle has to do but I hope it's done so that everyone is ready for 2017.
    LET'S GONE WARRIORS 2017

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  15. kabkram
    Join:
    Oct 21, 2015

kabkram 1st Grade Fringe

If Doyle is half as organised and prepared as we are led to believe the review was started 4 months ago and talks with the new manager about who he wants kept/released/brought in and how we go about doing are well advanced.
    We don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water, we dont need wholesale changes and while I'm not a fan of topping up a players salary if moved on to another club sometimes it has to be done for the good team and club.

• List
  16. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

Maybe case Adam Obrien the Storms assistant coach, I think he coacHed Harris and the Bromwich brothers too

• List
  17. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I would. Doyle being a business guy I'd guess would be big on this. Get someone external and away from the day to day business of the club to come in.

Not sure who would be the guy though. Gould went up to the Cowboys years ago but he's now tied up with the Panthers. We really want someone not tied up with another club.

Cleary is available but a former coach of the club (debate if that helps or hinders) also keeps getting linked to the club. Toovey maybe?

• List
  18. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Doyle's presentation at last years members meeting had how he would measure the clubs performances based on where they place on the ladder. His performace indicators would be measureable.

He had probably had an eye on the post season for a while now. Once this week is complete with the day to day business of preparing for hosting a match is out of the way things should ramp up. There have also been a few articles going over the season mentioning he hasn't been available to be quoted on for the article.

Most of the things I can think of we probably do every year, meeting with coaching staff, players etc. Besides the fact Doyle seems like a results guy so there might be more substance to the meetings and reports. We need to look at a few things differently.

One thing I'd look at is Ricky Stuart's idea of training the guys up until the Grand Final. Our guys get an extra 4 weeks off along with what they are contractually obliged to have. We start the season out of condition start our pre-season early and get on the front foot.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  19. The Cheap Seats
    Join:
    May 18, 2015

Can you please explain your end of season review process that has led to you seeking out O'Brien?

• List
  20. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

Well I would review what went right and wrong at the club this year, obviously defence has been a big let down, Storms defence is the best and this guy has worked with kiwis before with the previously mentioned names, would be a good start

• List