General Discussion Warriors Injury Thread 2018

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Jan 14, 2018.

Toxicity Level Tolerated:
Obscene Level Tolerated:
  1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Warriors Injury Thread 2018

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Current Injury List
    Blake Ayshford - Back - Round 3
    Gerard Beale - Leg - Round 4
    Junior Pauga - Knee - Mid-season
    Simon Mannering - Shoulder - Week-to-week proposition
    Nathaniel Roache - Back - Out for season
    King Vuniyayawa - Eye - Round 5
    Isaiah Papali'i - Knee - Round 8-9
    Karl Lawton - Shoulder - Round 4-5

No Longer Injured
    James Gavet - Broken Arm - Trial game vs Storm
    Agnatuis Paasi - Medial strain - ISP Round 1

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

NRL: New Warriors recruit Gerard Beale hoping for early comeback from broken leg
    10 Jan, 2018 3:28pm
    Gerard Beale was stretched of the field after suffering a double fracture in his left leg during the Kiwis World Cup win over Samoa at Mt Smart Stadium. Photo / Jason Oxenham NZ Herald.

New Warriors recruit Gerard Beale hopes he will be fit for the start of the upcoming NRL season as he continues to recover from a broken leg that ruined his World Cup dream.

The 27-year-old former Cronulla Sharks outside back is continuing a gradual return to training after suffering a double fracture in his left leg during the second-half of New Zealand's tournament opening win over Samoa at Mt Smart Stadium on October 28.

Beale was expected to face a four to six month recovery but hopes to begin running in February after making good progress with his rehab over the summer break.

"It's coming along really well," said Beale.

"I've been nailing the rehab and there's plenty of things I can still do at the moment and each week is a progression so I'm really looking forward to getting back out there.

"I feel like I am (ahead of schedule) but it's hard to tell. I'm pushing for the start of the season but it's a week by week thing.

"I've been living on the bike and in the pool at the moment but it's good that each week I get to start something new and it's all going well.

"I'm just focusing on doing everything and working on the little things and trying to get better each day."

Gerard Beale was stretched of the field after suffering a double fracture in his left leg during the Kiwis World Cup win over Samoa at Mt Smart Stadium. Photo / Photosport.

Beale initially hurt himself after making a try-saving tackle near the line but remained on the field before his leg gave way while he was in back play.

The 2016 Sharks premiership winner admits he struggled with the disappointment of being ruled out of the Kiwis campaign but eventually came to see the bright side.

"It was (brutal). Wanting to do so well and represent New Zealand, to go down in the first game," he said.

"It didn't really sink in. I couldn't believe that it happened and then after the first few days and leaving camp and then realising I had got injured.

"It was definitely a downer but there were still some positives - I then got to spend some quality time with my family, although I couldn't do much on crutches, and having the offseason on my side to get healthy again for this year."

After spending the Christmas break back in Australia, Beale made the shift to Auckland on his own in the New Year, with his wife, Roimata, and their three children due to arrive in the coming weeks.

"I've been really excited to get over here and to get started and it's finally underway.

"I'm currently living with (Warriors hooker) Manaia Cherrington. We knew each other in Sydney, so I've got a friendly face there.

"That gives me time to really focus on the injury and getting it right and then the family will come over soon.

"It's been really good. It's only been a week, I officially started last Wednesday but I'm really enjoying it.

"The boys are really training hard and I'm trying to do my part, whether that's just in the gym or helping to motivate them in any way I can."

The full Warriors squad assembled at Mt Smart Stadium today for individual and team photos in their new playing strip following a light training run this morning.

The Stephen Kearney coached side have two preseason fixtures scheduled against reigning premiers Melbourne Storm in Rotorua on February 17 and the Gold Coast Titans on the Sunshine Coast on February 24.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

CLUB NEWS

[Injury] Broken arm sidelines Gavet
    Richard Becht , Image: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Sat 22 Jul 2017, 02:22 PM

Prop James Gavet has added to the Vodafone Warriors’ injury concerns following confirmation he’ll be sidelined for up to six weeks with a broken arm.

No break was evident in x-rays after he injured his right arm in Friday night’s match against Penrith.

However, further x-rays showed a fracture in the radius after Gavet reinjured his arm at training on Wednesday.

He joins a casualty list which includes Shaun Johnson (knee), Ryan Hoffman (foot), Albert Vete (arm), Charlie Gubb (hernia) and Nathaniel Roache (hamstring).

With Gavet out, Tongan-born Chris Satae will make his NRL debut as Vodafone Warrior #219 in tonight’s 20th-round match against North Queensland in Townsville.

The 192cm, 115kg Satae (24), who played at NYC level for Penrith in 2012, has been impressive for the Vodafone Warriors’ Intrust Super Premiership side this season. He made 151 metres from 15 runs in Saturday’s 28-14 win against Illawarra.

Initially with the Glenora Bears after returning home from his stint with the Panthers, he then switched to the Point Chevalier Pirates.

4. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

This is from July last year mate

5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Still getting rehab for it so it stands for now thanks...

6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Full article posted in Gerald Beale's player discussion thread. Looking at returning between Round 1-3...

http://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/gerard-beale.59154/page-7#post-695790

Broken leg won't extend Beale's six-year Warriors wait
    Dan Walsh
    Wed 31 Jan 2018, 09:00 AM

Gerard Beale's arrival in Warriors colours will come almost six years after the club first chased his services, but the Kiwi international is hopeful a double leg fracture won't delay him from lining up in next month's season opener.

As one of four New Zealand Test stars arriving at the Warriors alongside Adam Blair, Tohu Harris, Peta Hiku and also ex-Manly five-eighth Blake Green, Beale has spent his off-season recovering from the broken tibia and fibula that ended his World Cup after barely one half of football.

A broken left leg, which he played on for a few minutes against Samoa in New Zealand's first game of the tournament, had Beale facing up to six months on the sidelines.

But with the 27-year-old expected to resume running again at training next week, a four month turnaround between the injury on October 28 and round one is on the cards, with Beale pushing to be fit for the Perth double-header when the Warriors will face South Sydney Rabbitohs.

"The rehab's coming along great, it's been almost 14 weeks," Beale told NRL.com from Perth as he performed promotional duties for the historic March 10 fixture.

"This has been the hardest part, letting it heal and taking it easy. From next week it ramps up and it should put me in good stead for round one and if not, a week or two after."

Warriors recruit Gerard Beale.©warriors.kiwi

7. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Just seen on Kayla Cullen’s instagram a video of Shaun with a bandage over his eye. Has had some kind of eye surgery

8. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

What a wanker..

@miket, just beating the haters to it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

brightmanbrightman Johnson has had a growth removed from his eye - you might want to keep these sort of comments to yourself until you know the full story!!!

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Waiting For Premiership
    Join:
    Jun 11, 2012

Waiting For Premiership 1st Grade Fringe

Hopefully he can spot a gap in the line and run now. Thought it might be more serious and would have to get something removed from his brown eye

11. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The article on Stuff going over the Nanai contract debate and the RTS rumour had a small bit about the condition of our dummy halves

The whispers are getting louder that premiership-winning former Souths mentor Michael Maguire is being lined up as a potential replacement for Kearney if the team doesn't start the season strongly. That task could be made tougher still given they will struggle in a hooker for their opening clash against Maguire's former team, Souths, with Issac Luke and Nathaniel Roach struggling to overcome Achilles and back problems respectively.

The Maguire comment belongs in a Kearney or coach sacking thread. But with the trials coming up it will be interesting to see if the two players mentioned are involved or not.

12. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

It was tongue in cheek, designed to beat the real jerks with haters commentsMiket12Miket12

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Ross Taylor’s averaged 63.28 in all formats since he had eye surgery at the end of 2016 ;) ....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  14. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

NRL: Warriors star Shaun Johnson has eye surgery to remove benign growth
    2 Feb, 2018 10:13am
    2 minutes to read
    Warriors star Shaun Johnson underwent eye surgery. Photo Instagram / @kaylamalvinacullen
    Shaun Johnson has undergone eye surgery – but it won't affect his 2018 NRL season.

The Warriors star had an operation on Thursday, to remove a benign growth on the surface of his right eye.

Called a Pterygium, it's a growth on the white of the eye.

It's common among sportspeople that spend a lot of time in the sun, particularly cricketers, surfers and tennis players.

Black Caps batsman Ross Taylor had a similar type growth removed in December 2016., which caused him to miss the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy series the following January.

Johnson's absence from action isn't expected to be as long.

He missed Warriors' training today, and will sit out tomorrow's session, but is expected to make a quick recovery and could be back in training as soon as next week.

The Pterygium had been causing irritation for the Warriors and Kiwi halfback and was first noticed about a year ago.

It wasn't affecting his eye sight – more a source of discomfort – but can impinge on vision if left unchecked.

Pterygium can develop over years or decades, and Johnson (27) is relatively young to be having the procedure, but it was felt prudent to do it now.

An operation was scheduled for after the 2017 World Cup and was completed on Thursday.

Johnson has played 143 NRL games for the Auckland franchise and will line up for his eighth season this year.

Warriors star Shaun Johnson underwent eye surgery. Photo Instagram / @kaylamalvinacullen

15. Onewarrior
    Join:
    Jul 10, 2013

Onewarrior 1st Grade Fringe

From today's trial Paasi has "a medial ligament strain which will require further assessment"
    according to Kearney in the report on the game from the Warrior's site

16. The Batman
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

The Batman 1st Grade Fringe

Great, hope it ain’t serious

17. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Beale trained with the squad today.

Stephen Kearney said they are looking at best case he is ready a month into the season.

Source was Radio NZ talk back.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  18. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Mannerings got a shoulder injury I think. Anyone know anything?

19. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 .....

No mention of Roache in injury ward. Also initially Kearney said Paasi was a medial strain from Storm trial(which is now located in your shoulder).

Warriors

Former Shark Gerard Beale broke his tibia and fibula playing for the Kiwis in the World Cup and faced six months on the sidelines but recently Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. he could make a shock return in the opening round against the Rabbitohs in Perth.

20. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

Gerald expects to be back for either round 3 or 4 at this stage.

Recovery from injury is a lot faster than what anyone expected.