General Discussion Warriors Salary Cap Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by hotdogRL, Dec 19, 2014.

1. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Its a 300k bucket that every club has for players that have served 8 continuous years at the club (includes NYC/Reserve Grade etc).

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

I thought it also didnt count towards the salary cap? Thats huge if true. No doubt Manu Vatuvei, Ben Matulino and Simon Mannering are getting their share of it...

3. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

That will be the full contract over multiple years not just a single year. Same as when they talk about a star signing a multi-million dollar contract - you need to divide by the number of years to get the annual salary. Just a guess however I reckon Manu would be on around $400k per annum given his ability as a player and his marketability

• List
  4. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

There was an article last year about his getting third party payments.

5. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

Here's an article in 2010 saying he's getting over half a mil a year. Only article I could find. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

6. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Yeah, but not all of that comes from the club's cap - there's long service exemptions, plus money from Bendon, Wendy's etc.

7. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

I never said where the money came from, or that it was salary cap money. My point is that he makes $750,000-800,000 per year, which his manager and the Warriors reported when he got his 3 year contract extension. The Warriors said they saw him as a franchise player. His manager threatened that he was going to union if he didn't get a good deal from the Warriors. The Warriors bit.

• List
  8. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Yeah it doesnt count towards the cap. Same as education, relocation costs etc.

9. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Source? The only source remotely related to him getting anything close to over 400k is your article where the journalist made that up without any direct value quotes from his manager or the Warriors. Although its deeply concerning with Scurrah talking about him as the premier winger in 2010, not because that he wasnt, but because its absolute lunacy to pay the amounts you are quoting for a winger. I cannot see any other club in the NRL paying him anything close to that.

10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

That is how I remember it as well. Any manager who threatens to go to union should be told to go there, unless the recruitment manager is so slack he doesn't know who to replace his player with. I am sure Manu's manager was well aware of that.

11. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

My source is that I heard it on tv, as I mentioned previously. Where is the source that says I'm not correct? Mt Well. he got the money, as stated in the article, because he used union as a threat. Or rather his manager did.

Everyone says I'm wrong on here, but nowhere is there a source that I'm incorrect. If people believe I'm incorrect, is there anyone willing to take $600,000? Going once, going twice, ???

12. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

For some reason I think I remember Manu acknowledging that his most recent contract wouldn't be as lucrative as his one before.
    Also all contract payments are guesses or probably misleading information leaks used by teams or managers to get the best deal.
    Arguing over them is pointless. Having said that I'm firmly in the Manu is on around $400-500k camp.

• List
  13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Which he will not be on next time.

14. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Dont take it personal. People arent questioning you, they are questioning the veracity of your claims. Its similar to when Iron Lion claimed that he knew the club was signing Keiran Foran for 2m a season contract. Just because he said so, didnt make it true, nor was it possible to find proof that it was incorrect, despite the absurd number floated. Why/How could any club afford to pay a player twice the amount that is currently being paid to the absolute elite like Thurston, just like how in the world could Vatuvei, a winger be paid anything close to a player like Shaun Johnson.

Also if you heard it on TV, it would be assumed others would have heard it too, or it being more common knowledge. Commentators like McIvor or Halligan giving their opinion on what a player might be getting is akin to any of the people on here giving their opinion on how much a player might be getting.

Look at this article for example:
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

and then...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  15. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

Nope, not taking it personal. Just want to find out for sure. I heard it on tv a year or two ago, so want to make sure I heard it right, and am happy if others have another source that says I'm not right. I'm not swearing I'm right, it's just what I thought I heard.

Anyone know for sure?

16. Freddie Futler
    Join:
    Jun 10, 2013

Freddie Futler 1st Grade Fringe

Re-incarnated?

17. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. to view.
    Written by JOEL GOULD & TONY ADAMS, April 24, 2016

RUGBY LEAGUE has a new richest man, with Johnathan Thurston now the game’s golden child on the field as well as off it. Thurston is footy’s first $2 million man as a player, with the wages of the game’s top earners soaring in the past year.

Second on RLW’s annual Rich List last season behind Cameron Smith, Thurston has leapfrogged the Test skipper into top spot. After steering the Cowboys to their maiden premiership and winning both the Dally M Medal and Golden Boot, his stocks have never been higher.

1. Johnathan Thurston: $2.1 million
    Earns $1 million on field and supplements that with deals with a car company, athletic apparel firm and headgear manufacturer. Is also a director of an aviation company.

2. Sam Burgess: $1.9 million

Was on roughly $2 million during his short stint in English rugby so took a slight pay cut to return ‘home’, making big dollars from Souths and corporate sponsors lined up by Souths owners Russell Crowe and James Packer.

3. Cameron Smith: $1.8 million

Has increased his promotional work off the field this season and has a deal with Fox Sports.

4. Daly Cherry-Evans: $1.65 million

Signed a massive million-dollar plus deal to remain at Manly and has third-party sponsors through his agents, Pacific Sports Management.

5. Kieran Foran: $1.2 million

Took massive money to lure him to the Eels from Manly this season and has several third-party sponsors.
    Paul Gallen: $1.2 million
    Multi-media personality with deals with Channel 9, Triple M and News Corp on top of his Sharks and Origin payments.
    Cooper Cronk: $1.2 million
    On the Fox payroll as well as his huge contract at the Storm.
    Billy Slater: $1.2 million
    Earns plenty from the Storm and also features in TV ads and has a Channel 9 deal.

9. Shaun Johnson: $1 million
    Has surprisingly few third-party sponsors in a one-country team but makes plenty from the Warriors and media commitments.
    Mitchell Pearce: $1 million
    The Roosters’ top earner has also been helped by the influence of multi-millionaire club chairman Nick Politis.
    Jason Taumalolo: $1 million
    Greg Inglis: $1 million

13. Robbie Farah: $950,000

14. James Graham: $900,000

15. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck: $850,000
    Matt Scott:$850,000
    Michael Jennings: $850,000

18. Darius Boyd: $800,000
    Simon Mannering: $800,000
    Josh Dugan: $800,000
    Jared Waerea-Hargreaves: $800,000

22. Anthony Milford: $750,000
    Moses Mbye: $750,000
    Jarrod Mullen: $750,000
    Jamie Lyon: $750,000
    Wade Graham: $750,000

27. Trent Merrin: $700,000
    Ben Matulino: $700,000

29. James Tamou: $650,000
    Tony Williams: $650,000
    Beau Scott: $650,000
    Dane Gagai: $650,000
    Andrew Fifita: $650,000

Gotta take it all with a pinch of salt but thats the top earners according to RLW. No sign of Manu Vatuvei at all.

Under Shaun Johnson's name they talk about the surprising lack of TPA's. One thing we really need to work on at this club...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  18. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

Well, Shauny J is on $750,000 plus. Not a million. I figure Manu is on $500,000-$600,000 plus third party payments, as indicated in the article I posted.

Except for Jennings at centre, looks like the centres and wingers make the least money. Anyway to ask the authors how much Manu is on? And thanks for looking this up, Mt. Well.

• List
  19. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

The above figures include his TPAs with Bendon and Milo. The million dollar figure would be very close. His manager should be fired if he couldnt get SJ re-signed on more than $850K or there abouts. At the time we had Sam Tomkins coming over on that amount and SJ was the one the team was built around. If SJ is on about $850K-900K its not out of the question to have him receiving $100K from his TPA deals. Pretty pathetic amount when you consider that he is the face of the game in NZ. Richie McCaw was reported to have made $2.5 million in TPAs alone last year...

• List
  20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

No wonder Politis looked unhappy over the Pearce scandal
    Geez we would pay him that wouldn't we?
    He would have to be the most overpaid player in the NRL.

• List