General Discussion Warriors Salary Cap Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by hotdogRL, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Darious Boyd.. Seriously, is this guy the most over paid in the game?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Hopefully we do see more TPA's for our guys. It will be good for the sport seeing guys in the public eye and it also helps with the club keeping talent and freeing up cap space to improve the roster to compete with the bigger clubs.

Doyle has hinted at copying how other clubs use/model their cap. Hopefully he's negotiating with managers and telling them well this is the deal now there is a whole country for you to find additional income for your clients. Time for us to aim to get our boy on the books for something close to their market value and get them earning from additional sources. It seems like we must be a soft target for most managers as all they have had to do with the Warriors in the past is organise their guys contract.

Obviously it's a different market to Australia and the NZ companies might see these types of deal differently to the Australian clubs and we also aren't the main code like they are in Sydney. But we should be looking to use all of the tricks the other clubs use to make the most of the salary cap.

Johnson is easily marketable. Hopefully we see guys like RTS and Loloeha picking up deals.

Winning games consistently will help with this sort of stuff as most people would be more prepared to back winners.

• List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Considering his off field issues I don't know if any club not coached by Wayne Bennett would pay him that much.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

To be fair to Farah that's the Tigers cock up for back ending his deal so heavily. He kept taking less money to help out the club which is why it's kind of a dick move by the Tigers wanting to offload him as they want to sign other guys and they have his salary hanging over them. They dug that hole for themselves and it is a bit of a lesson. Manly also did the same thing under Hasler which soon came to make things difficult for them.

It's a lesson and hopefully we don't see the Warriors in this sort of a situation. Doyle knows the cap rules and watches the NRL marketplace so I'm not worried about while we are under his watch but it's more a warning for the future.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I agree. I think Watson got Doyle in the nick of time because the Warriors might have been heading in the wrong direction as well.

• List
  6. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

The salary cap has been a constant in the NRL. However so has the Warriors consistent inconsistency of under achievement.

Before Jim Doyle the buying often was rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Expecting players to perform at the same level immediately from their previous clubs. Especially Storm players. Sometimes it appeared buying players because they could and never mind the strategy behind it.

I am seeing signs the players now are taking individual responsibility and starting to play together as a team. The best team players are those who make those around them better players. This year the poster boy for that is Blake Ayshford. Another, who I think is unfairly targeted here, is Wright. We look at the try scorers and marvel at their skill. Now at least they are looking at the players who made the room and provided the ball for those try scorers.

In the NRL this year he Titans have shown real grit with a team of supposed cast offs. However, in world sport the poster team for team work conquering star players has to be Leicester City in the EPL. I saw somewhere that their whole squad cost less than one Manchester City player. I love sports stories like that, it illustrates the life lessons that sport at it's pure best can give.

Unless the whole squad buys into the team ethos the Warriors will go nowhere. I still firmly believe if they do so they can really give it a nudge this year, it often isn't the player, it is the attitude.

• List
  7. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

So given the TPA's (whatever that is?) and other bonus money, can we now say that Manu is making at least $750,000? He was the face of the Warriors before Shauny J.

8. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

Boyd is a fantastic player, i would expect him to command a pretty good contract.

As for SJ, if he leads us to a premiership, he could almost write his own contract...and this is also my point concerning Lolohea in the halves, with Johnson being around the million dollar mark and rising, there is no way we will be able to compete with offers Tui will start being bombarded with...whatever happens, i think it's very safe to say Lolohea wont be at the Warriors for very long.

• List

9. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Not really. Anything to do with player salaries usually comes from media speculation. Doyle was on the radio once and said it was funny how sometimes they got the figures close to the mark and other times they were so far off all he could do was shake his head. It's really just guesswork. He could be earning 750k but there's no way to know for sure.

• List
  10. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Really don't think SJ is the deciding factor in it. Lolohea is signed for awhile yet, what RTS decides to do after us (whether that's go to Union or re-sign) will probably have an effect on Tui's options. In any cae, you can't keep a guy like Tui in a position just so it keeps his value down. Players are going to get paid what they're going to get paid and we just have to deal with it.

• List
  11. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

Not sure what Shecks future has to do with it, I'm talking about his move to the halves...Tui would be a better player with a full season of first grade under his belt outside the glare that comes with playing in the halves, and that is probably going to happen with him having to cover fullback, unfortunately for him there's only slightly less pressure in the one jersey.
    The problem I have is we're probably going to lose him before we have the coaching to make a genuine push for a premiership.

12. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

If the Tour of England showed us anything it is that Tui is not a ball distributor and therefore not a half, people here saying this and that about Lolo's value need to temper their thoughts by realising he is hitting a purple patch. Still doesn't make him a ball distributor but more a lethal threat on attack. Better suited to centre IMO. Just look at James Roberts, he's lethal.

What about Ata Hingano too, if he keeps developing his playmaking and ball distributing skills at this rate we'll have the next Lockyer. He's already showing a better temperament for the halves than Lolohea and will be the better option to partner SJ in the near future. But still these young guys are not going to be instant big contract players until they have added proven experience to their other talents.

• List
  13. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

The tour of England showed 2 inexperienced halves with less than 50 first grade games between them struggling to bring cohesion at international level before they were even genuine first graders. In otherwords it really didn't show shit. Whether Tui can distrbute or be a ballplaying half is still very much up for debate, but that tour was not something I'd be using as a guide to rule him out one way or the other.

• List
  14. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

Exactly. If Cappy had given him a full pre-season and beginning of the year at 6, he'd be far ahead now. But no, he thought Robbo was the answer. Gotta give Lolo time, and practice, with Shauny J. Now, that's lost until next year. Thanks Cappy. Idiot.

15. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Yeah, the worst part of last week was when Cappy ran out onto the field and Bully clubbed RTS in the knee, forcing Lolohea out of the halves.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  16. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

I doubt it.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  17. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Once we get rid of the Mateo, Lousi and other contracts I reckon he will be. Boyd is a good player but has off field issues which must affect his asking price.

18. Pete
    Join:
    Oct 3, 2012

Pete 1st Grade Fringe

Can we pick up Elijah on a Mateo style deal where the Panthers pay the majority and we get a committed trainer and tackler for next to nothing.? Season loan

19. Pete
    Join:
    Oct 3, 2012

Pete 1st Grade Fringe

Always follows Bennets teams. Anyone would look good with half the rosters he has.

• List
  20. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

Anyone want to stab a guess at what we have left in the cap?

I have the following list of signings and releases (have not bothered including the close to minimum players who are coming and going as they will not have an impact on the cap)

Does someone want to guess each players worth (lets put 2017 value on those gone and 2018 value on those arriving)
    Gone
    Hoffman
    Lilyman
    Matulino
    Thompson
    Foran
    Vatuvei
    Lolohea

Confirmed Signing
    Harris
    Pulu
    Beale
    Hiku

Probable Signings
    Blair
    Green

Tell me how much we have left for props?

• List