Featured General Discussion Warriors Set to be Sold?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Canadian_WarriorFan, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

OK so we can put a line through Ellis. Good. His strength is marketing and I don't need more Jerseys.

Not sure about this consortium thing. Personally I would rather a single owner. The last time we had a consortium the whole thing fell apart and bankrupted the club...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz 1st Grade Fringe

Not the most professional site when a number of players haven't played for the listed clubs in a couple of years...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz 1st Grade Fringe

Massive conflict of interest surely?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Old Sid
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

Old Sid 1st Grade Fringe

How ironic would it be if the boys ran out and put 40 on the Raiders this afternoon now that their value has been re-assessed?

Doyle n Mooks buys the club, boys offloading all over the place playing Warrior Ball.
    James Graham, Adam Blair and James Maloney signings confirmed tomorrow. Isaac Luke off to Super League...:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Apart from his supposed personal issues with Cleary, Wason has been a GOAT owner.

Single owner. Stays out of lime light. Money has always been there. Left football decisions to the football people.

Now its Doyle and a bunch of backroom anonymous jabronis pulling the strings for da bros.

Club seriously going backwards.

• List
  6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

For sure. He would have to choose one over the other. Important to remember the NRL must vet new owners and they also hand out player agent certifications so that conflict of interest wont last long at all nor do I believe the NRL would allow both to continue.

Been suggested that Brown might only be acting on a consortium's behalf as well so he might not be part of the ownership...

• List
  7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Yes. He was a goalkicking prop. A very sound player.

• List
  8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I don't like Watson so I should be disagreeing with you. The only positive thing about Doyle's involvement is that he seems to be putting his money where his mouth is.

• List

9. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Knowing nothing about these apparent new owners. The idea kind of scares me.
    I'd rather have a filthy rich solo owner who views the club as a toy and is prepared to throw big money at it to get what he wants, the same way he would with a yacht. Than a bunch of investors seeing it as a way to make money.

• List
  10. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

1. Run club into ground
    2. Buy club at discount
    3. Profit?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

One positive is that if the consortium want to profit from the club the only real way of achieving that is by making the club successful. Its not like they can strip it of its assets. The real value in any NRL club is the licence. You cant sell that to just anyone. Not like the Reds can buy the Warriors and uproot them to Perth. You cant sell off players for profit. The stadium doesnt belong to them. The gym isnt going anywhere.

The only way they can increase it value to make it a worthy investment is by winning on the field and all the associated positives that come with it ie gate takings, merchandise sales, sponsorship...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  12. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

From Play the Ball..

Exclusive: Warriors set to be sold - who's in line to buy the league club?
    Eric Watson is likely to sell the Warriors within the next week with Auckland businessman Paul Davys set to take control of the NRL club.

Davys admitted he is close to signing off on the move today.

"We are in a negotiating process at the moment," he told The Herald. "Eric recognizes that the Warriors need someone to drive that club and he knows his current situation, living overseas, he can't do that.

"I have a huge passion for rugby league and see the ownership of the Warriors as both a privilege and a duty of care to the game in New Zealand. The Warriors is not just a business, it's the heart and soul of rugby league in this country and when the Warriors have done well in the past the rugby league community has a spring in their step.

"So I made an approach to Eric to buy the Warriors.

"We are trying to iron out some finer details and I am hopeful those details will be ironed out in the near future.

"There hasn't been an agreement reached but we are not far away from seeing eye to eye.
    It has been a week of Eric and I discussing things and I am hopeful we could announce something within a week."

It is understood Davys will work in the business and drive it.

Kiwi millionaire Watson has owned the club for the past 17 years but is currently fighting fellow Kiwi rich-lister Owen Glenn in UK court over ownership of assets in a project the pair were involved in.

Whispers of managing director Jim Doyle, who bought a 10 percent share in the club last year, buying a bigger share have done the rounds the past couple of weeks but it is understood he hasn't been part of the negotiating process and his ownership is one of the points yet to be ironed out.

Respected player agent Peter Brown has been linked to the purchase because he is a part owner in one of Davys' businesses but he won't be involved in the club moving forward.

Watson bought the struggling franchise in 2000 from a consortium that included the Tainui tribe and former Kiwis coach Graham Lowe.

He oversaw a rebranding of the club and the club's maiden grand final appearance in 2002.

A second grand final appearance followed in 2011. Fellow Kiwi businessman Glenn bought a 50 percent share of the club from Watson in late 2011 but the club has failed to make the finals in every year since.

Glenn relinquished his share after a falling-out with Watson in 2015 - Doyle then purchased his 10 percent share of the club last year.

Watson is currently involved in a bitter dispute with Glenn and is facing having to pay out the Kiwi businessman an amount of more than $200m.

The Warriors face the Canberra Raiders at Mt Smart Stadium at 4pm today and are out of playoff running.

• List
  13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Why Doyle would want to sink money into it is beyond me. Especially when they are apparently offering $2.4 to Adam Blair.
    Having said that NZ rugby league is very important to the game overall, and the country. I could imagine loyal Kiwis and/or wealthy Australian league lovers being prepared to join in with competent management just for the satisfaction of it. I doubt they would want to blow money on it though.
    I have bagged Lowe in my time. For all that he is still very respected in the game, so much so that even after the Warriors Tainui debacle Manly were prepared to appoint him CEO to help them out of a spot. People should remember that.

• List
  14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  15. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Fuck. I use to have a thing for suzy back in the day.

16. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Management buyout.

Smart move by management if you ask me.

Would make perfect sense why we are so terrible this season.

17. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

That is assuming the management are smart. Not joking either.
    I recall Dale Budge writing months ago that Doyle was probably going to leave the club. I wonder how much he knew then? I wonder where it leaves the Blair deal as well.

• List
  18. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Lost me at Dale Budge mate. Cant stand cry babies who thrown tantrums.

• List
  19. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Jim Doyle loves the game. Simple as that...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  20. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

A change of ownership should be a major positive - Watson lost his patience with this club a few years ago, I think many of the more significant decisions since that point are reflective of this.

• List