General Discussion Warriors Set to be Sold?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Canadian_WarriorFan, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Well we do need a 5/8

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

He could probably still pull on a pair of footy boots which shows how much experience he's lacking as a football manager but the word on the street is he's taking over Iro's role as head of recruitment while Iro himself will join the coaching staff in some capacity.

Hopefully it means we're still head hunting an experienced Head of Football.

• List
  3. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah I saw an article on Facebook that seems to confirm what you're saying...

TONY REJOINS WARRIORS

Recruitment has been a massive problem for the Warriors since 1995 - and the club is set to welcome back a former player to correct the issue in 2018.

Former 13-Test KIWI international Motu Tony is set to take over recruitment from Tony Iro, who will join Stephen Kearney’s coaching staff, in a restructure of the under-performing Warriors.

Tony has worked with Hull FC as the General Manager in the past two seasons. He retired from playing in 2012 where he finished off with an injury wrecked 10 match stint with Wakefield, before that his 100 appearances for Hull FC netted 25 tries.

After spending over a decade in England, the 36 year old has decided to return to New Zealand.

Born in Samoa, Tony played 55 First Grade matches for the Auckland based under-achievers after debuting in 2001.

The Warriors are still chasing a power forward, more than likely a prop after releasing three, but haven’t confirmed any further details at this stage.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  4. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Not pulling any punches lol

5. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

What is Iro doing now? Assistant coach?

6. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

On field hydration technician

( water boy)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  7. RICHMAN
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2017

RICHMAN Warriors Bench Player

I can`t see how Motu will make any sort of difference, we need a recruitment officer with NRL experience. not another job for the boys...
    been there done that hasn`t worked and by the looks haven't` learned

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I remember a story years ago when Ivan Cleary was coach and Iro was assistant running the water. The warriors were on attack close to the line and Shaun Berrigan ran it instead of passing. Cleary baled him up after the game and asked him WTF he was doing. Berrigan said Iro was running the water and told him to do it.:rolleyes: Jobs for the boys again.:rolleyes:

• List

9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

There is that word "hope" again:eek:

10. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome. :)

Just spoke to people who first told me a couple months ago that club was being sold and they said they haven't heard anything yet but they wouldn't be surprised if it's true. According to them (and again I'm not claiming any insider knowledge, so please take it for what it is, I'll apologize if I'm wrong) that if this club has been sold it would have to be to Auckland Rugby League or more specifically Carlaw Park Trust owned by Auckland Rugby League as Jim Doyle and his associates were either unable to raise cash needed to buy place or Eric Watson just wasn't prepared to cut him a deal, depending on who you talk to. I would love to get into more details about this with you guys but it's just last time I posted specifics on here I was made to delete it by one of people I've been speaking to who saw on it here so I have to be careful now with what I say. What I can tell you is that there have been other bidders, from a group in Christchurch who wants to take club down there to somebody from Central Coast representing either Wyong or North Sydney Bears to Paul Davys again who apparently only a few weeks ago came back with another cash offer and was again denied. That's all true then here's me hoping that it's Auckland Rugby League/Carlaw Park Trust who's bought them as I really would hate to see this place be taken over by somebody and be made to move somewhere else ... :(

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  11. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

In all seriousness , maybe back to the juniors ?

• List
  12. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

13. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

I am surprised that the club is still keeping Tony Iro in their ranks.

I was told he was lazy and that the player managers who had NZ junior players on their books were giving the Warriors a miss and offering them directly to the Australian teams.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Well his nic name is sponge....

u can take your pick from the following urban dictionary meanings....

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • List
  15. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Just got txt and according to them and what they've told me I can now confirm two things. One, NZ Warriors has most definitely been fucking sold and two, they now don't think it's Auckland Rugby League who has bought them because secrecy surrounding who has actually purchased club makes them think that it's somebody else. Please don't be North Sydney Bears ... :(

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  16. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

The NRL won't allow the Warriors to be moved from NZ

• List
  17. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Motu Tony ! LIKE A THIEF IN THE NIGHT !!!

18. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Is Iro leaving the club or is he moving into the coaching box ?

Can this club get any worse ?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

I’ve been told that a number of red herrings have been thrown out safeguard the deal. Hence, i d be surprised if it’s Davy’s or Auckland Rugby League.

One thing for sure it won’t be North Sydney Bears. The NRL wouldn’t allow such a deal.

• List
  20. Old Sid
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

Old Sid 1st Grade Fringe

Pure guess on my part, but reading between the lines and how quiet it has been, a consortium lead by JD would get my money. The other red herrings were highly useful in deflecting queries. I would not put it past JD to have ARL as a minor shareholder, but not taking charge.

Whatever it might be, lets not wait until the Members Forum, get it out earlier so folks have a chance to formulate questions in preparation for the forum.

• List