General Discussion Warriors Set to be Sold?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Canadian_WarriorFan, Aug 13, 2017.

1. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I quite like that the change of ownership looks to have happened and the new owners are going about things before anything is announced. Get about making changes before it is announced and they need to front the media and the distractions around it. Get on with business.

Hopefully George's statement is correct and Tony is a person of interest while they still look at new people to add to the management team. Otherwise it comes off as someone moving home and there is conveniently a job for him. The main thing is to get interviewing and get the best person.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

My thoughts exactly, decisions need to be made because there in the best interests of the club not because of convenience, I really hope these new owners are driving that ethos from the top down whoever they are.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

It sounds like they are paying with their own cash, so they have a vested interest in doing things right. Watson got the club for nicks so he never had to worry that much.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

If the owners are not JD & co, I wonder how safe SK's job is

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

From the sounds of things it is a Doyle coup. Cameron George for starters is a Doyle man.

• List
  6. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

So he's safe. Fuck

7. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

Maybe, but it’s worth noting the soft cap for football department spending has risen to somewhere between $6-7 million going into next season so these new roles that we’re seeing i.e Alex Corvo in a new role above Ballin Cupples and the touted “Head of Football” position could all be paid for from within that increase in football department spending.

It’s important that they correctly identify and channel these funds too the right areas for example there’s no point overspending on sport science when your junior development is in dire straits.

• List
  8. RICHMAN
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2017

RICHMAN Warriors Bench Player

HE done ok with the Juniors maybe the best place for him. he got results

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

9. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

It would be the only place I'd put him. Juniors were rubbish this year and he did ok with them in the past.

• List
  10. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Don’t give him too much credit..that was back in the day when we played these kids in the U20’s and not ISP!

11. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

Yea well if we can flick him that would be best, seems he has some kind of lifetime contract at the Warriors.

12. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

I thought it was more they were putting a cap on football department spending at 6-7mil??

So that wealthy clubs can't get all the top dogs

• List
  13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I think they are trying to get at accommodation allowances as well for juniors.

14. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

Yup, the salaries for those roles I mentioned in my post are paid for out of that cap.

• List
  15. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

to quote that guy; NO _ NO _ NO
    he was a big fan of picking big guys to just run and bash the opposition. I want so much more from my coaches than that. Were still paying for those decisions this year

• List
  16. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

I'm glad they brought back Motu Tony.

He was a very intense young player that got chewed up and spat out by the Warrior machine, as such he has the background to truly understand the ingredients which sewed the ill state of local development we reap now.

This guy knew what it was like to be choped and changed by coaches before Tui Lolohea was off the potty.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  17. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I have no doubts about the integrity of the guy, and I wondered why they ever let him go. I just cannot see him as a high powered football manager. No matter what Mooks is an unproven newbie as a head coach and still finding his feet to say the least. He needs somebody riding point. To be going with Tony smacks of somebody at the club wanting to retain control. That will either be Doyle or Mooks. I don't trust Doyle's football judgement any more, he is just a gambler. Having said that anybody would seem to be better than Iro at local talent spotting.

• List
  18. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome.

Just heard a couple of interesting things.

Again I can't get into complete details as according to what I've been told negotiations are still dependent on a couple of demands being met (meaning things could still fall through at any moment i.e translation : Eric Watson is cunt), but I can now say with some sort of degree of confidence that Auckland Rugby League through Carlaw Park Heritage Trust (of which I've been told they are sole benefactor) has bought NZ Warriors. Again when I say this, remember this is all still second hand information from someone who knows someone within club so please take it for what it is. I'm not claiming any kind of inside knowledge, I'm just passing this information on as I feel after how many years we have all spent supporting them us fans have right to know. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong ... :bag:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 16
    • List
  19. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

You can look at the strategy in two ways....jobs for the boys or the real oil NZ rugby league figures populating the club.

There is also a third stream which admits we have no or limited choices in the first instance.

Tony has made his name offshore in recruitment...one can only hope he did that through having a sharp eye for the chess board....rather than influence in the ESL.

Given that he turned around a shit club....you could rightly extrapolate he understands strategy rather than reliance on name...ala Bell.

I think people need to give him the benefit of the doubt since his story .....the script for his life....is one of a have not....finding the missing pieces....to me that is the intellectual property the Warriors have proved most ignorant.

Motu Tony was never a star alla Ruben Stacey Bell.

He is not going to be able to recruit by name like SK and Doyle....he brings a point of difference ...a potential objective eye with no ego.

I like that the Player agents here have no favor or influence with this appointment.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    • List
  20. KingKon
    Join:
    Jul 10, 2012

KingKon Warriors Bench Player

It's a done deal. The Auckland Rugby League have purchased the Warriors, the contract has been signed and the announcement will be made shortly.

Is this the final nail in the coffin for the Warriors?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List