Featured General Discussion Warriors Set to be Sold?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Canadian_WarriorFan, Aug 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

1. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

I remember sitting in the smoko room with about 20 carpenters on the job when we were building the movie theatre complex at Centreplace in Hamilton, 25 plus years ago, we all had a thing for Suzie, everyone of us, even though as far as I can remember, no one had kids, we all knew who she was. Must have been those fluro sweat shirts.

As for a sale of the club, hard to go past the fact that the most successful times at the club were when Watson took over, everything was reset and no one was allowed to just expect the status quo, if you didn't want to meet the new standard, leave. I remember thinking, how can we cope if we lose guys like Big Joe and Mears. Turned out we coped pretty well, till everyone got comfortable again.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Combined with the fact a successful Warriors team is quite the money spinner, hell we all know you yourself are good for 25% of CCC's annual profit when the teams in the top half of the table.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  3. MXRecord
    Join:
    Apr 8, 2014

MXRecord 1st Grade Fringe

About bloody time. Take the broom through the club and start again.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Get fucked lol.

I'd hope Doyle would see it as his lasting legacy to the game in NZ than a money earner. Would also be hypocritical of him when he's been screaming at Watson for money to develop the club since he got the gig....

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

You don't know how much I want the team to bring back my love of the game, this team as it stands, has managed to destroy in the last two years a love that has existed for about fifty. Years of copping shit from union boofheads never cut so deep as the limp dicked, I don't give a fuck attitude we as fans have endured since the last finals appearance. I'm so over it I wouldn't care if they sacked the lot of them after the game today, resigned the few non wastes of space and all new comers on performance only contracts and started with a completely new line up from tomorrow.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Doubt theres any chance of the NRL allowing the NZ Warriors to go insolvent again. Warriors aren't short of cash flow like they were before Watson saved the club...

7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I think there was a reason for that;)

8. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

Statement from club owner Eric Watson
    "While I'm often approached about selling the club I will confirm that I'm in conversation with a few different parties about the Vodafone Warriors, but I'm in no rush and I'm keen to do what's best for the Club. Any discussions are private and I won't be commenting publicly about the conversations other than saying right now there is no deal." - Eric Watson.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I think we have a reason why nobody wants to come here.

10. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Definitely. It's called brucebruce!

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  11. the borg
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

the borg Warriors Bench Player

I think it would be great to see a new owner.. as long as they dont just see the club as a money spinner or worse still, a tax write off.. which I believe has been the case..

Someone who genuinely loves league and makes themselves known in NZ instead of being based in UK. And is prepared to blow the cobwebs out of the wallet and invest when its needed. Ie... Jim Doyles big dilema...

I dont believe the direction from the top is up with the play as to where the game is going and with an on to it CEO who does, its stalemate. And everyone suffers as a Poli puts it a trickle down effect but in this case as has been it the past its a flood... the club has gotten too old fashioned... and hasnt grown up...

• List
  12. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

In Watsons case add in a bloody big ego trip, until the novelty wore off...and he hasn't gone yet.

13. the borg
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

the borg Warriors Bench Player

Dont get me started on owners egos .. Ive seen too many of them screw up sports clubs etc... just keeping it polite so I dont get banned ....lol

• List
  14. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

i'll give him $2

• List
  15. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

You realise you can get a hamburger for that at Maccas? Far more satisfying.

• List
  16. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Eric Watson might want to finalise that sale quicker than he wanted.... value must be dropping each week we lose!!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Also the last time we had a partnership with two owners with a significant ownership stake it ended up with a public slanging match after coach resigned, fired made to walk the plank. That brought quite a bit of bad publicity and a lot of uncertainty on how one of them was going to walk away and how much money that would take. Mind you back then we all though it was the Warriors that was the cause of the friendship and business partnership dissolving it was more likely these overseas deals. I don't have that much cash but I'd imagine arguing over $200 million would do that.

Let's just hope if it is a consortium that they all get along and are all on the same page on what is needed. They also need to be on the same page about investing more money as an NRL club isn't cheap to run and you need to invest to be competitive.

One advantage if it is either a consortium with Doyle or if Paul Davys ends up owning it we should have an owner more invested in the day to day running of the club. Doyle either as the CEO or moving up to a Chariman role or Davys also said he'd be involved.

When the club is winning it doesn't matter if the owner is not close to the club and is off overseas. When things aren't going well you want the owner around to approve changes that need to be made. The other top clubs would have the top guy heavily involved, think Politis at the Roosters. The only ones that probably don't need to have a coach who can dictate everything and we all now we don't have a Bennett or Bellamy type as otherwise the only reason to sell would be the club is going so well it's time to cash out.

• List
  18. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

A change of ownership could help freshen things up a bit. They can't do what happened last time with the player contracts as the NRL have put in rules to protect the players if clubs fall over or change owners.

There would be a new person everyone needs to impress from the players, to the coaching staff and CEO.

A new owner isn't going to want to track along like things have been going they will want to see improvements.

19. koolkat
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

koolkat This mob sux Contributor

Can see this turning tits up.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  20. PNG Kiwi
    Join:
    Apr 11, 2016

PNG Kiwi Warriors Bench Player

Maybe the lack of recruitment has something to do with the buyout, a new broom sweeps clean.

Change always has to come from the top.

Fairly certain all current contracts with staff and players would need to be honored. Not to say some like Luke may be encouraged like Manu to get a Super League contract.

You would think that the consortium have done due diligence and identified areas for improvement.

Might mean the end of the Kava sessions and a new recruitment process, did I just say process?

At least another straw for us to cling to next year keeping the faith. At least with the losing streak the pain has diminished and it was slightly surprising that the ball seemed to be passed more frequently today. Maybe its me just trying to stay positive.