Gameday Warriors vs Panthers Gameday Chatter [Round 21, 2016]

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by NZWarriors.com, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Warriors Taming!

2. Warriors 13+

3. Warriors 12-

4. Warriors JANFIN Special by 6

5. DRAW/Golden Point

6. Panthers 12-

7. Panthers 13+

8. Panthers Roar!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZWarriors.com
    Join:
    Dec 19, 2012

NZWarriors.com

NRL 2016 - Rnd 21 - Warriors vs Panthers Gameday Chatter

Warriors v Panthers: Schick Preview
    Wed 27 Jul, 2016, 11:00am
    By Corey Rosser‌, New Zealand Correspondent , NRL.com
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Schick Hydro Preview: Warriors v Penrith Panthers
    Mt Smart Stadium
    Saturday 5pm (NZT), 3pm (AEST)

A spot in the NRL Telstra Premiership top eight could be up for grabs when the Warriors host the Panthers at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday.

In Round 19 Penrith leapfrogged the Warriors into eighth spot, with just two competition points and eight differential points separating them on the ladder ahead of this weekend.

After suffering a second-consecutive golden point loss last week, the Warriors have no new additions to their squad.

But coach Andrew McFadden has made a couple of positional changes, the most notable of which sees Tuimoala Lolohea shift from the bench to fullback.

David Fusitua moves to right centre in place of Blake Ayshford, who drops back to the bench.

Following a comprehensive 31-12 win over the Broncos last Friday, Penrith have named an unchanged line-up, but have included potential NRL debutants Andy Saunders and Viliame Kikau on an extended bench.

Watch out Warriors: Short lapses in concentration have cost them dearly in their last three defeats. In each of those games McFadden's men have experienced a 10-minute period where they have leaked at least two tries – a killer in games where they went on to lose in golden point. Maintaining concentration levels will be critical this week.

The Panthers have plenty of points in them this season, and limiting them presents a huge challenge for the Warriors. Over the past 10 weeks Penrith have been held to 18 or fewer points just twice, and on both occasions it was against the NRL's top two sides in the Sharks and Storm.

Watch out Panthers: Penrith are the competition's second-worst offenders when it comes to missed tackles, averaging 33.5 per game this season. The worst individual performer so far has been Bryce Cartwright, who averages 3.1 per game (sixth worst in the NRL).

The Warriors haven't leaked more than 22 points in regulation time since way back in Round 11. Across their last seven games the Kiwi outfit have conceded only 16.2 on average. It has been a big area of improvement for the Warriors in the second part of the season, and right now breaking down their line is no easy task.

Key match-up: Shaun Johnson v Nathan Cleary. Only a few years ago Nathan Cleary was the ball boy for Shaun Johnson and the Warriors – during dad Ivan's time as head coach at the club – but fast forward to this Saturday and he will face off with the Kiwi international in a pivotal battle at Mt Smart Stadium. Johnson builds his game off running, averaging 75 metres and having registered 12 line breaks in 18 games. Cleary meanwhile has emerged as a late contender for rookie of the year, setting up three tries and three line breaks in seven games to date, and bringing a composed presence to Penrith's halves.

The history: Played 36; Warriors 15, Panthers 20, Drawn 1. The Panthers have enjoyed a strong period against the Warriors of late, with six wins from their last seven head-to-head clashes. Penrith win over 50 per cent of the time when they play in New Zealand, with nine victories from 17 visits.

What are the odds: The money is running 4:1 in favour of the Panthers in Sportsbet's head-to-head market. Both sides have been backed to win the game by 1-12 points, so we could be in for a tight one if the market is to be believed.

Match Officials: Referee: Grant Atkins. Assistant Referee: Chris Sutton. Touch Judges: Rohan Best and Shane Rehm. Review Officials: Byran Norrie and Steve Chiddy. Senior RO: Ashley Klein.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live coverage from 2.30pm (AEST). SS2 5:00pm (NZST)

How we see it: Both of these teams have unorthodox styles which so often delivers a quality and entertaining product on the field. Both come into the match in hot form, despite the Warriors losing their last two encounters. Playing at home and with the pain of back-to-back golden point defeats in the back of their minds, the Warriors should have enough to win this one. Warriors by eight.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016

2. STEEDEN
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

STEEDEN .

I hope we win today, I'm really not enjoying these golden point losses lately.
    Awesome to see Tui starting again, I couldn't see the point with having him on the bench.
    Get ready for another close one guys.
    Go the Warriors!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

Trying to decide whether it will be a comfortable win or a total capitulation, either result will not surprise me.

• List
  4. Bluecat again
    Join:
    Sep 30, 2012

Bluecat again Hopelessly hopeful Contributor

Not confident. We soooo need the win and we should win if everything gels. But..............

Maybe fingers crossed and a big bet for a Warriors win at the bookie going with my heart and a few dollars on the Panthers at the bookie if I use my head? Shame we can't have an each way bet. Off to work now but the MySky is set

GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. janfin
    Join:
    May 13, 2012

janfin 1st Grade Fringe

Today's the day that the Boys will win by 6 Bloody sick of my ESP being wrong every week ;);)

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  6. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

I'm going for a margin of Double Janfin plus 2.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Oh what might have been, thanks Wayne Scurrah you muppet.

• List
  8. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

This Panthers team is really talented, but fickle. I genuinely enjoy watching their games as they have a bit of flair about them. This is by no means going to be easy.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

9. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

Big game today, time to find out if these back to back golden point loses have battle hardened the boys & set a fire under them or if they have killed our confidence & resolve, obviously I'm hoping for the former

If both teams show up with their A game it should be an absolute ripper of a match, but if one team is off & the other is not ... it could get ugly

Personally I would rather see both teams at the top of their game cos if say the Panthers are off & we manage to squeak out a win then that won't really tell us much about where the Warriors are at as a team ATM ... if we end up belting them in that kind of a scenario though, still doesn't tell us all that much IMO, but I will definitely take it

I'm picking Lolohea to have a massive game today, regardless of the reasons behind his recent rides on the pine I'm hoping he will be fired up to prove a point

Weather in Aucks looks like it could turn to dogshit at any moment so it could end up being a battle of attrition & field position in the wet

GO THE WARRIORS!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    • List
  10. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Reminds me of our 2001 side. At some point today there will be a period in the game where the Panthers look like they could cut us to shreds. How we handle that period will decide the game for us because the Panthers will also give us enough opportunity to give it back.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Trugoy
    Join:
    Apr 3, 2016

Trugoy 1st Grade Fringe

Ahhhh that pre game excitement starting to kick in already..Game day baby!!
    Got a feeling the boys will be pumped for this one.
    Shaun gonna show the young buck who's boss.
    UP THE WARRIORS!!!

• List
  12. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

Don't see the Warriors making the top 8 if they don't win this one. We need to win 4 out of 6 to have a chance for the top 8. If we lose, that's 4 out of 5.

• List
  13. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

Next two games are must wins... I really hope Manu is out, Ayshfords ability to set up his outside combined with Fussies finishing ability could be the finishing spark we were missing last week. If this change happens and Thompson and Vete are included as well we could towel them up

• List
  14. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I hope we win big. points diff could be majorly important in the run home.

but I'm not confident today.

• List
  15. Centurion
    Join:
    Oct 14, 2015

Centurion 1st Grade Fringe

getting nervous now... quietly confident though.

• List
  16. Hadyn
    Join:
    May 3, 2013

Hadyn 1st Grade Fringe

If we play our best we will be to good for them.Our forwards and bench are better than theirs and we should be able to pressure and intimidate their young halves.Cleary looks like he has a big future as Sowards replacement but Cartwright is flakey at the moment and seems to be suffering from the inconsistency you can have with second year syndrome.
    If we are legit contenders and can play as well as we should they won't be able to match us.If we don't they will beat us and prove once again that this year we are really pretenders...........again.
    If we play well it will be a comfortable win and from there our sights should be on a finals first round home game.

• List
  17. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

I'm sick of losing to the bloody Panthers! Warriors overdue to hand out a hiding

• List
  18. Tylz
    Join:
    Apr 25, 2015

Tylz 1st Grade Fringe

Anyone got the inside word on final team listing?

• List
  19. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

It's all about the start....good start and early points will be what makes this our game.
    My 1000 post saved for game day.
    Game on Boys ..........Warriors......Warriors....... WARRIORS.

• List
  20. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

Thought I was reading the shit no one says thread for a minute

• Funny Funny x 4
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.