What about a downvote option?

Discussion in 'Announcements, Support and Feedback' started by BeastMode, Aug 3, 2017.

1. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Like in reddit

If a post generates more than x votes its hidden?

I know it's similar to the "inappropriate" button but most people will agree that not liking or agreeing to someone doesnt mean they think the post is inappropriate.

However with a downvote you can get a good representation of what the forum members feel about a particular post/ or poster. Which might encourage them to change their style of writing. That can only be a good thing right?

You'd naturally assume if there are 10 likes to a post then its a good post. But it there were 10 likes but 10 downvotes you'll know its a controversial post.

10 down votes and zero likes basically means its trash and no one agrees with the poster.

2. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Yes, if a certain number of inappropriate/offtopic ratings are given to a post it is hidden. It is to only be given if someone has posted spam, joined to troll, posted something offensive or posted something inappropriate or offtopic. This helps hide those posts before the mods get to it.

A dislike rating has been discussed in depth numerous times. But what it would lead to is one common train of thought. What is majority of users wanted kearney sacked and disliked pro kearney posts? That would be removing their freedom of speech, and degrading their opinion. Isnt having entire spectrums of opinions important to a forum?

Open to hear others thoughts. Personally, everyone should be able to post their opinion without fear of a bunch of morons coming on disliking their post and subsequently hiding it from being shown. Its very much a bullying tactic.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List
  3. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

anything that goes against the prevailing opinion would get buried.

"CNK would only be marginally more effective than our current outside backs" -20

"'The process' is a short hand created to give a limited answer to the media, mocking it is pointless and obscures whatever it is they are actually trying to do" -1000

It would discourage nonsense posting by certain people, but you can always put them on ignore, and it is kind of bullying to gang up and be all "your opinion is worthless" even if you do think that privately.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Personally i think its an unrealistic fear. If you use redditt as your example the majority of posts that have downvotes are valid. Very seldom do you see wide spread downvotes across that forum or the button being used as a tool to Bully.

If there was a downvote button i would probably have used it rather than replying and commenting my distain for some of Bruces posts....

However, it doesnt mean i will jump on every post and downvote it. No. Thats just childish and given the tight policing you and Mt do here, its hard to troll and get away with it anyway.

You should trial it and see if your fears are realised. If it is, simply shut it dow .

Dont do a SK. Change is good.

• List
  5. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

The consensus view should never be automatically assumed to be the correct view, particularly on this forum.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  6. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

But what is the concensus view if the full set of options are not available to determine it?

I have 3k+ of likes and funnies.

Consensus would mean everyone likes me then??

7. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Why do you need a consensus view to determine if Kearney is a good coach or not. Isnt that what polls are for? Cant you currently see the people who agree with bruce's view (for example) by seeing the number that agree with it(like it)? Why should his posts (or anyone elses for that matter) be hidden. For all we know, that 1 person out of 100 could turn out to be correct, but his earlier posts saying that would be hidden.

Another reason we decided against a dislike button is that there is a good chance there would be some tit for tat dislikes amongst users.

• List
  8. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Good question - we probably often assume consensus is the most commonly read view on here. However perhaps rather than consensus it can sometimes be the vocal minority.

However in any case this forum isn't meant to be a popularity contest is it? I think some of the best opinions on here have started out as some of the least popular.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

9. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Happy to trial it if enough ppl want it though. It would only be available in certain sections. Maybe social section would be a good start. jonnojonno you ready to have your pro trump posts hidden?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I wanted to post this in the moderator thread, but seeing as this thread is about changing the site it's not too far OT on here I hope...

I know it's a costly process, but I still like the mini threads linked off the main threads idea...

A lot of conversations in threads have elements that are off topic, but are also very interesting to chat about. I think we could have the best of both worlds by having mini threads that link off the main threads.

If someone only wants to read about the topic of the thread the mini threads don't get in the way at all. And if someone wants to chit chat about the mini thread topic it's right there where they want it.

eg: The thread is talking about us possibly signing a new player, and one post which is on topic has an element to it about the merits of signing players who haven't had NRL experience for an example. Instead of this conversation taking up 2 pages of the main thread it could be diverted into a mini thread that links off the original post about it. So that way someone who hasn't got time to read the 30 odd pages discussing all the different aspects of this new players signing only has to read through the 5 pages that are directly related to the updates on the signing itself...

This would open up the site for a lot more conversations IMO as it gives people freedom to get stuck into some serious OT chit chat without blowing the threads up.... I reckon that's something we'd all enjoy... Imagine all those endless ding dong arguments being side tracked off the main highways.

It would really just be an option to create a new thread that's only visible under the post that you are replying to... So you'd read the post and between the next one there'd be a thread title, ie: "Players Without NRL Experience". You'd click on it and your off into the mini thread. Then when your finished you'd click on the return button and it takes you back to the next post in the main thread. If you couldn't give a shit about NRL experience you just carry on reading as if it wasn't there.

Anyways it's just a thought. I'm not sure if this would be a world forum first or not. I just came up with the idea to troll Mt W.. But I actually kind of like it now that I think of it.

I reckon there'll be a lot less tension on here if there's more opportunity for people to post their minds without getting hit with the OT stick as much...

11. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I think the group think censorship is something straight out of 1984. If you want to win an argument you have to listen to all the sides and come up with the best case. Just hiding the thoughts and ideas that you don't like is weak if you ask me.

Let the music play I say...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  12. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Do you think ppl will click onto the 'mini ot thread' to post ot stuff? I would bet my house that ppl will still use the main thread to post that ot info seeing as that would be more widely read. We have tested this previously with ot posts moved into the social section for ppl to continue their banter. Once it gets moved there and lot less views ppl stop. They want as much exposure to their comedy standup routines...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

I dont see it as censorship if its simply "hidden" and can be "unhidden" for the curious cats who want to read it....

14. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

No ;)

15. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Brilliant - love it. You have my up vote for this...

• List
  16. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

Not a fan of bringing in a dislike button. I'd get torn to shreds.

I saw on the Manly forum, an 'Informative' button, which I thought was pretty good.

• List
  17. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

What reddit threads do you look at? The ones I've seen, people are savage with down voting. They down vote anything that differs slightly from their view.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

No the question we all want to know is what threads are you visiting?

19. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

I don't even have a reddit account I just go on occasionally to have a look.

Just random topics really. Sometimes NRL, sometimes Music, streetwear/fashion (snobs and downvotes galore), surf... nothing too out of the ordinary.

Perhaps the topics I search are just full of snobs lol. Probably.

• List
  20. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I think the social form is too remote. It's like banishing the conversation to the Russian front....

But if it's keying off the main thread then readers will see it as they read past and will join in accordingly.

I'm not suggesting this will make less work for you guys, but moving comments into a mini thread will create way less static for you guys than removing posts seems to generate. I think most people are more attached to their posts than they are interested in loads of people reading them... I don't consider how many other people will read my posts before I post them. It's just me voicing my opinion.

And when my opinion is silenced it's a little bit gutting. I'd rather have my opinions mocked and ridiculed than deleted altogether... Not that I'm saying mocking and ridicule is what I'm after, just that even that's better than being deleted.

And the more switched on posters will learn to create mini threads by themselves... Then the challenge is to make a mini thread that loads of readers will enjoy. I reckon it works..