General Discussion What Is Wrong With The Warriors?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by bruce, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Owner Eric Watson

2. CEO Jim Doyle

3. Coach Stephen Kearney

4. Players

5. Recruitment

6. Development

7. Too many NZ developed players

8. Too many South Aucklanders

9. Too many Polynesians

10. Not enough white players

11. Not enough Aussies

12. Club culture

13. Mt Smart Stadium/Auckland

14. Lack of leadership

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

It seems unlikely that this is happening. Kearney might be a Muppet coach but he does seem to demand some standards, if it is happening then turf the lot of them along with Kearney coz they are playing us and he demands zero respect from them

2. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Is this what's wrong with the Warriors. Too many players who think like Hayne in our sqauad?

Jarryd Hayne NRL: Eels, Titans form, Nathan Hindmarsh’s brutal assessment on Matty Johns show

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Who to blame: Hayne or Henry?
    IT’S the most brutal, damning critique of Jarryd Hayne yet.
    The Late Show with Matty Johns crew have carved up the superstar on all fronts, as a cold war with Neil Henry rolls on amid his poor form at the Titans.

Matty, Nathan Hindmarsh, Gorden Tallis, Brett Finch and Paul Kent all weighed in on Hayne. Matty said Hayne had brought a rising Gold Coast team undone and been a poor role model to young players. Tallis said the $1.2 million per season star was immature and not having a go.

His former Eels captain Hindmarsh was most damning of all. The club legend said that Hayne often had game days where he took no interest in playing; that he had not responded to years of efforts from senior players to make him more consistent; and that he may have been responsible, as Parramatta’s flaky superstar, for a long line of Eels coaching casualties.

HAYNE vs HENRY

Segment host Kent says the current Hayne-Henry furore is exactly as it seems: The pair do not get on. Matty and Gordy had their say.

Gordy: “When you hear that all the players don’t have a problem with Neil and all the players don’t have a problem with Jarryd, it’s probably Jarryd and Neil...”

Kent: “There’s no doubt they’ve got a problem with each other.”

Gordy: “So those two need to work it out. The club’s bigger than any individual and if Neil’s liked by every other player and Jarryd’s got [a problem] ... I don’t know if Jarryd likes being told what to do. No one likes being told what to do but I think Jarryd needs to grow up.”

Matty: “What we saw last year under Neil Henry, Neil Henry has proved himself over a time that he can coach. And last year, they were a side - people were saying, ‘Who’s going to come last, Newcastle or the Gold Coast?’ They were incredible, what they did, to get in the finals was such a great coaching performance. Jarryd has arrived, he’s thrown them off-kilter. He has thrown them off kilter.”

EELS COACH KILLER

Hindmarsh suggested that Hayne had a poor history with keeping his coaches in a job. He pointed out what happened while the superstar was at Parramatta - and what’s happened at the Eels since, with current coach Brad Arthur cemented in his role.

Hindy: “You look at the coaches. This might just be a coincidence. 2006, when Haynesy started - Jason Taylor, interim coach. 2007-08 was [Michael] Hagan - gone. 2008-09, [Daniel] Anderson (axed 2010). 2010-11, Steve Kearney - gone. Ricky Stuart was ‘13 (quit for Raiders coaching job). And BA [Brad Arthur] was there ‘14 and Haynesy seems to have gone (left for NFL) - and BA’s the only coach that’s still there.”

SLACK ATTITUDE, HINDY’S LAMENT

Hindmarsh said that Hayne had days where he simply didn’t want to play. He and other senior teammates were never able to break his mood swings, with his outrageous 2009 Dally M season a mysterious outlier, before he finally returned to peak form five years later.

Hindy: “I’ve seen efforts like that before, I’ve played with him. You know, this is really what’s so frustrating about Jarryd Hayne, the player. He’s got so much ability but there’s weeks where he just won’t bring it out to play, and there’s weeks were you can absolutely flat-out know that he doesn’t want to play the game of rugby league on that day.”

Gordy: “So how do you get the best out of him?”

Hindy: “I tried for years and there was other senior players in the group that tried for years to get the best out of him. I don’t know what happened in 2009.”

Finchy: “Do you think that 12-week period, where he was in possibly the greatest form of any player...”

Gordy: “It’s the greatest run in our game.”

Finchy: “...Do you think that’s been worse for him, because since then, everyone expects him to play like that every week and it’s hindered him with expectations?”

Hindy: “2009 was a great year for him. 2010, ‘11, ‘12, probably ‘13 weren’t that good, 2014, comes out Dally M player of the year again.”
    Matty: “That’s a long dry spell.”

Hindy: “It is, and it’s inconsistency. If you look at your top players like Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk... [that doesn’t happen].”

POOR ROLE MODEL

Both Matty and Gordy said Hayne had proven a letdown to his Gold Coast teammates, especially the young players. Hindmarsh could only laugh from experience at one example.

Matty: “The most damning, the most handicapping thing for the Titans is that, when he arrived at the Titans, there’s so many of those young blokes - they would have been idolising him. he would have been their hero. And I’m sorry, the effort’s just not good enough.

Gordy: “He’d be one of those guys that you’d look at when they’re pulling up their socks and going, ‘I’m playing with Jarryd Hayne’. I would even think that. ‘I’m playing with Jarryd Hayne’. So when the ball goes to him, you’d be looking - and you don’t have to make a break every time and some days you do your job better than others - but you’d expect him to really rip in and have a go.”

Hindy: “You want to have a go. You don’t have to be a game-winner every game, you can have a bad game - it’s all right to have a bad game. But as long as you’re having a crack.”

(Later) Kent: “There are times when the Titans are playing football this year, they’re rucking out of the tough stuff, and he goes down and does up his boots.”

Hindy (laughing): “Yeah! I know. I’ve seen that.”

I reckon we have half our squad with Haynes mentality towards money and footy. Only SJ has the talent to make the big bucks, but there's loads who are riding the gravy train hard IMO... Getting coaches sacked while getting pay rises. Can't blame them really. That's just good business.

Time for The Coach the Strikes Back. Enter the Coach. Return of the Coach. Pulp Coaching. Dr Strange Love or: How I Stopped Worrying And Learned To Love The Coach, The Texas Coaching Massacre, Coach Club, No Coaching For Old Men, Coach, The Coachinator, MadCoach, Robocoach, Coach Harry and the Dead Squad, Coaching Private Ryan.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

Debbie does coaching? 2 girls one coach?

4. theleagueguy
    Join:
    May 9, 2015

theleagueguy Warriors Bench Player

What Hindmarsh forgets is team construction is very important. Those Parramatta teams where specifically built around Haynes skill, Jeff Robson & Daniel Mortimer in the half's. Similar to the NSW state of origin team that had non playmaking halves in Trent Hodkinson & Josh Reynolds. Its similar to the Warriors the team is built around Shaun Johnson, hence why the can't win without him.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

Where it went wrong for the Warriors and where to from here
    MARVIN FRANCE - 5:00, August 13 2017
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (c) has had to learn some harsh lessons in his first year as Warriors captain. - MARK KOLBE/GETTY IMAGES
    Advertisement
    After yet another season of failure, league writer Marvin France runs the rule over the Warriors to see where it all went wrong - and gauge just how much work is needed to turn things around.

CEO
    Almost three seasons in the role questions are now beginning to be asked of the highly-rated administrator. Some of Jim Doyle's high-profile signings have not worked out, although it is hard to blame him for taking a gamble on Kieran Foran. Remains the man to take the club forward, but having put all his chips in Stephen Kearney's corner, so much of his success is tied to the coach's performance.

Coach
    It is unfair to judge a coach on one season but the jury is still well and truly out on Stephen Kearney. Has the team playing a conservative style of football that keeps them in games for longer, although is yet to solve the constant lapses in concentration. Defensively, there have been some steps forward but the attack has looked clueless at times and is a major concern. Has started to overhaul the roster but deserves more time to see how 'the process' will turn out.

HANNAH PETERS/GETTY IMAGES

The jury is out on Stephen Kearney but he needs more than a season to fix the Warriors.
    Captain
    Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has been one of the club's best performers, although his captaincy remains a work in progress. By his own admission, he is still getting to grips with how to address some of the players. 'RTS' gets a pass because of his age, but the team needs strong leadership now more than ever. Tuivasa-Sheck already holds himself to extremely high standards, he needs to demand the same from his teammates.

Shaun Johnson
    For all his detractors, and there are a quite a few, the Warriors have failed to win their last 11 games without Johnson on the field. Led the NRL in try assists up until his knee injury and impressed with his short kicking game. But is still too erratic and doubts remain whether he can be the focal point of the team. Given his new contract, the Warriors expect him to be but Foran's departure means there will only be more pressure on Johnson's shoulders in 2018.

Kieran Foran
    Started off with a bang but dropped away as the season progressed. There have been mitigating factors, such as injury and a lack of go-forward upfront, while his mentoring of rookie five-eighth Ata Hingano may yet pay off in the long run. However, on the whole, he has not had the impact many had hoped for.

HANNAH PETERS/GETTY IMAGES

Kieran Foran's form has dropped away after a strong start to the season.
    Issac Luke
    Granted, he is not playing behind the powerful pack that made his running game so effective at Souths but Luke's signing has failed to live up to expectations. Looked to be hitting his stride in the middle of the season before an injury setback. The only big-name player demoted after the Newcastle defeat, the cub desperately need him to get the message.

Forwards
    The team's biggest Achilles heel this season. While the Warriors have spent up large in the playmaking positions, they have neglected the one area where games are actually won - in the middle. That has not been helped by the lack of progress by some of the younger props, but apart from James Gavet and, more recently, Ben Matulino, they have struggled to lay a consistent platform for the halves to excel.

Outside backs
    Solomone Kata, David Fusitua and Ken Maumalo have all had their moments but, just like the rest of the team, let themselves down by a lack of consistency. The emergence of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has added depth on the wing while Blake Ayshford has been solid at centre. But as reliable as Ayshford is, Fusitu'a still strikes as a better long-term option if he can fix his defensive deficiencies.

Recruitment
    Made a decent start with Tohu Harris and if Leivaha Pulu brings his form from the Titans, he will strengthen the pack. But there have been no other significant signings since. That could change if the Broncos release Adam Blair, who would be a quality addition though his age presents some risk. Uncertainty around the cap means they could still add a few more players where an explosive forward and experienced half must be top of the list (the latter is easier said than done). Above all, though, they have to ignore the quick-fix and invest in players who will help drive the change in culture.

Stuff

• List
  6. Leaguegod
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2015

Leaguegod 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

So Doyle turned down help from Campion? what does that tell you about our current set up, but Kevin hits the nail on the head 'Everyone' must be treated equally and this is NOT happening at the Warriors too much blame game and it causes division, now we know Mooks and Doyle can't handle the truth. Very sad reading this.

7. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

"We built our wins on our defence, we were so solid in the middle and we had a great attitude within our forward pack. We were really hard on our backs when they made mistakes because we were the ones always doing the tackling and it filtered through that it's not acceptable to make mistakes in that side." - Kevin Campion.

Anyone want to argue with him on this point?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  8. Sledge
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2016

Sledge 1st Grade Fringe

Doyle and Kearney probably offer Hayne a 5 yr deal worth 8mill next.

9. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

He's only 29 - why offer him only a 5 year deal when you could lock him in until he's 38 on a 9 year deal!!

10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Sounds like Doyle's future at the club is in question anyway.

11. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

What's wrong with the Warriors?

They don't play at Carlaw Park!!!!!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

I saw somewhere players on the piss in Newcastle, any who, when and wheres out there if true.

13. RICHMAN
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2017

RICHMAN Warriors Bench Player

I dont think so, I think he will be around longer than you think

14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I was just guessing, do you want to share?

15. Panther
    Join:
    Aug 13, 2016

Panther U20's Player

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Well a bad tradesman blames his tools. 12 months before he stepped in with his dreams the Warriors were in the final. The fact he is still talking this crap says what a crap appointment he was, he groomed Cappy, and Cappy is still there, why?

16. Mr Frank White
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Mr Frank White 1st Grade Fringe

Audio link attached.

I'm the opposite. I hated Elliot while he was here, but it's glaringly obvious.
    Everything apart from the coaches are what's wrong with the place.
    Players, management, owner, they are the common denominator. You going to blame a bloke was around for a year? While this shit had been going on for 6???! Fucking cop-out is what it is, a Elliot said some journos called him, and word is management are trying to blame him for everything...
    That right there should ring alarm bells.

Just ask bunch of self serving pricks who will fight to maintain the status quo.
    I would fire everyone from wiki to Stacey, bar SK and JD. Then of things don't improve in two seasons, then next two candidates up

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  17. Mr Frank White
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Mr Frank White 1st Grade Fringe

audio link would help!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  18. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

I've been told some comical stuff that happens inside those walls by people that have been in the squad before. So it's always good to have such knowings confirmed, as you do always question such farfetched stories from a supposed professional organisation.

Wonder if anything will ever change??

• List
  19. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I still think this is Owen Glenns legacy. We built our way into a great position and then he came on board. Look at what he's doing to EW atm. Taking him to the cleaners.

All our current problems arrived at the same time he did...

• List
  20. Panther
    Join:
    Aug 13, 2016

Panther U20's Player

That interview makes me dislike the guy even more, how was he ever given this situation where he was setting himself up in the executive role, when really he failed at the Panthers.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List