General Discussion What would you do as Coach?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Sep 2, 2016.

1. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Apologises Mods if there’s already a thread on this?

But lets get to the point – what exactly would you do if you were coach? if you were trying to sell yourself to JD for the head job? saying we need new players when you know half of them wont come here is pointless.

So I’ll take a stab first. Its a little simplistic but..... anyway....

I think you build around 3 key things.

CLUB ETHOS

I think it needs to start with defining the club ethos – what is it that defines this club? what is the heart and soul? at the moment, I don’t think we have one. Or at least, I dont see it on the field.

Three words – PRIDE, MANA, RESPECT.

If that is what we want this club to be about – then that is what we ask of the players every single day. On the field and off the field. It needs to be a clear strong message.

GAME STRATEGY

Next, I ask myself, what is my strategy for this team?

Is it jungle footy, or is it structured footy, or it is somewhere in between. At the moment, I see the team is trying too hard to play structured safe footy. The lack of creativity in plays is stifling to watch. We’re the second worst team in the comp. on defence. So do we work to improve it, or throw caution to the wind and say, forget it, lets just focus on scoring as many points as the opposition on attack?

Given the miserable results over the last 3 years on trying a structured approach – I’m going to go broke and say we bring back jungle footy and make the game exciting for the fans to watch. It’s risky, I know and we might lose, but at least we’ll bring back the fun and entertainment in the game that fans have come to see. We need the spirit that is missing in this club and the only way to bring it back is to play to a strategy that meets our ethos.

TEAM

Now that I have my club ethos and game strategy set, I need a team that can execute.

To bring back jungle footy, it means, unfortunately there is no room for both Simon Mannering and Hoffman. I cant have two of the same one dimensional players on the field at the same time.

This means an early retirement for Hoffman. As his replacement, I would work hard on Mutts – develop that skill set at training to be a fast, mobile strike force weapon. I would motivate, inspire and bring back the confidence in his play.

Other changes ? - well, Manu – you’re done. I might try him out in the forwards during training and see how he responds, but generally his days on the wing are over.

I would recruit Foran. Hands down to be my anchor in the backline. That means...

Lolohea – your place is on the wing.

And I think that’s about all you can do in 2017.

So my team list is this :

1. RTS
    2. Fus
    3. Ashford
    4. Kata
    5. Lolohea
    6. Foran
    7. SJ
    8. Lillyman
    9. Luke
    10. Lisone
    11. Mannering
    12. Thompson
    13. Matulino
    14. Hingano
    15. Bunty
    16. Sipley
    17. Vete

thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

2. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

I would kill myself

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

Apply for another job immediately before the players drag you down to hell

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

I would sack myself and apologise to all in sundry for taking so long to do it.

5. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

I would realise my coaching career post the Warriors is over.

6. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Compared to some of these responses - i am a Craig Bellamy, you all a Andrew MacFaddem still scratching your head trying to understand the question.

7. FAN
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2014

FAN 1st Grade Fringe

I'd sack Cappy......

8. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

I think you're bang on with that backline, it's about as good as we could put on the park.

I would absolutely be hanging onto Hoffman for another season despite what many here think of him, i believe he was one of our best this season, without doing to many flashy things which people tend to notice more.

Matulino is another one thats copping plenty, he's a veteran now, and he's knows how to do enough without giving his best...he needs a reason to put in that extra effort that takes a player from good to great. We know how good he can be, he just needs the right incentive.

Afoa looks to have a good future in the game, definitely in the second row and probably more in the Mannering mold of high work rate, defensive type player, but he does seem to run good support lines...he is very young, so i'm not sure i would like to play him week after week.

Vete could be one of our greats, i just hope we get him and the club a coach that can realize the potential of both.

So i would probably be in the market for a good quality, youngish front rower, and a bit of outside back depth, but no big names.

8.Vete.
    9.Luke
    10.Lillyman...he's reliable and consistent, every player cant be a superstar.
    11.Hoffman
    12.Thompson.
    13.Mannering

14.Jazz
    15.Matulino
    16.Lisone
    17.new guy...or one of our youngsters.

Coach:Hasler.....:nailbiting:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List

9. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

1. Club Ethos
    The club created the following list of players based on whom the culture of the club should be cultivated.
    Simon Mannering - GROUNDED (humble,respectful,role model)
    Stacey Jones - COURAGOUS (tough,fearless,resillient)
    Manu Vatuvei - PASSIONATE (honest,demanding,never say die)
    Ruben Wiki - UNCOMPROMISING (high standards,dedicated,no short cuts)
    Micheal Luck - SELFLESS (team first, loyal, sacrifices)

2. Game Strategy
    You want our 2nd worst defensive side to play jungle footy? I remember a former coach in Mclennan saying we could outscore any team. A few thrashings (some after leading by 20 odd), and a few games later he was out of the club.

3. Team
    Not going to comment on that as that is subjective based on what we recruit (and hopefully) trade out certain players. Its easy to say we cannot have Hoffman and Vatuvei in the team, when effectively that is 1m rotting away in reserve grade with no benefit. Who would be the new captain?

Easy to say you want to execute certain things, however much of that is in the hands of the players who go out on the field.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  10. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

wait? don't the fans do that already..

11. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

I don't know if I agree with this approach to be honest ie labelling players with certain traits for others to follow as a role model.

I think a club ethos needs to be about the club, for the club. Putting a players name against a certain value to me, diminishes that value.

• List
  12. Warrior
    Join:
    Mar 4, 2014

Warrior NSW Cup Player

It all starts on the training paddock. Read any articles about coaches like Bellamy, Bennett, Maguire, Robinson and they're all known for their insane training sessions. And that's not just making them run endless laps, it's about having intensity and discipline in every session. It's no good doing the same drill 1000 times if players are taking shortcuts or getting away with making mistakes.

If any players don't buy into it or it's "too hard", they're more than welcome to find another club.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  13. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

If I was the coach I would get inside these players heads and make them believe the only way to win is to play for your mates and the fans 100% of the time. Self sacrifice to the cause is the long, winding road to victory.:angelic:

I'd be rating them on the 1% plays they do or don't do, and I'd put a premium on fitness and energy management during games so that we could play high quality footy for the full match, week after week. Those are the players who'd get picked and everyone in the squad would be constantly reminded about it. If they want to feel the roar of the crowd then they better put in the correct effort. :mad:

As for game plans, I'd be building them up to play off load, ad lib footy, with scramble defense. I'd train them all in the fine art of the offload, every singe day. Support runners galore and solid passing skills in tight situations would be drilled hard.:finger:

There wouldn't be any big sweeping set plays in our attack. But I'd have them practice defending them a lot in training. The team would know the oppositions favorite attack formations inside out for every game day.:borg:

And there'd be mind training. After the PE was done for the day, there'd be checkers comps with real prizes for the winners. And humiliation for the losers. Training where the only way to win is to out think your opponent. Mind over matter.:cool:

During training I'd be giving them mental tasks to complete while under extreme fatigue. Mind/body fitness over and above our competition.:wacky:

And some other stuff like that.:rolleyes:

On game day I'd be 100% focused on outsmarting the opposition coach. I'd use well worn cliche speeches with the players, stuff I know is going to get them up and into the moment, stuff that I didn't have to make up on the spot. And I'd play (and win (this is my optimistic vision after all)) the game of 4 dimensional chess against my opponent coach.:cigar:

When the fans come up to me I'd happily sign autographs.... then I'd give myself an uppercut, tell myself to get my head out of the clouds, stop dreaming about being a head coach and get back to the reality of supporting a bog standard footy outfit.:sorry:

• List
  14. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Well done Jonno.

What are you going to do about the heat?

15. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Petition the NRL to have uniform stadiums across the board. Enclosed roof, temperate controlled.

• List
  16. kabkram
    Join:
    Oct 21, 2015

kabkram 1st Grade Fringe

I'm coming with the angle I'm a proven FG coach, with consistent appearances in the finals, players are loyal and want to work under me and are willing to follow me to clubs regardless of their previous reputations and results.
    Makes me a pretty elite bloody coach I know, but (starting to sound like a broken record ) we've tried the rest lets make a play for the best.

17. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

make them train not till they get it right but till they cant get it wrong

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  18. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

There's nothing I can do about the heat. It's a fact of life.

What are the other clubs going to do about the cold?

We'll know we're a champion side when we thrash teams when it's neither hot or cold.

19. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I'd change preseason in the middle of training call a game .Have them play the u 20 , Reserve grade an a local players team
    Have them play 30 minutes each team , Under different scenarios eg, ,,22 points behind 30 minutes to go,, Or even score but your
    Down to 12 players ,, Have obviously bias referees , Try an get them ready for what they will in counter during the season,
    I'd call them at random times , like when they thought the day was over ,
    My team

RTS
    Tui
    Fusitua
    Kata
    Blake (He's probably only going to get the ball past to him 20 times in a season , But will
    Stay in position , an defend we need his experience ,)
    Foran
    SJ
    Vete
    Lake
    Lillyman
    Brodine
    Matalino
    Mannering

Roach
    Hoffman
    Lisone
    Gubb, Gavet, Sipley, , Afoa, , Sao, ,Palavi

The other thing I'd do is identify defencive forwards an offensive forwards
    Making sure against the doggies , souths, ,, Big forward packs I'd have Palavi , Gubb, Gavet
    On the bench ,
    Against teams where we have forward parity I'd be playing Lisone , Bunty, Sipley
    An I'd get Ivan as an assistant .an leave him to it

• List
  20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

I would work on tackling, tackling and tackling...and tackling. This team tackle like pussies, and worse still they don't seem to be embarrassed about it.
    I play shit golf. Sometimes I hit great balls off the tee, sometimes I am horrible. I asked my golf pro. He said it is consistency. He said I have to practice that much that it is second nature what to do. He said practice, practice, practice...and practice.

I was horrified to watch our reserve graders close up this year, they were tackling like the other team had the lurg. No point mentioning the under 20s, those guys have never tackled properly.

I heard Bellyache on TV tonight when asked about the Korobete tackle. He mentioned commitment. That is what our guys lack in the tackle, commitment.
    For me I would be showing each missed tackle on the screen at the player meetings and asking each player if they were ready for a sex change. Actually that is wrong, the girls can tackle better than these guys.

and if I hear them bleating that most of their tackles were very good, and some were big hits....don't get me started.:mad:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List