General Discussion Who Is The Real Leader On The Field?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by wrighty, Apr 4, 2018.

1. wrighty
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2018

wrighty 1st Grade Fringe

The obvious answer is that RTS is the captain and leader of the Warriors this season. But there is no denying that there is a strong leadership group. Perhaps so much so that one of them might be the true leader as Roger is more of a quiet spoken lead-by-example guy than a man on man motivator.

My personal opinion is that Blake Green is the real leader. He seems to assume control of the other players and tell them what to do, in a good way. Remember that failed short kick from the Raiders that Big Ken was about to errantly pick up until Blake intervened. And it seems to be Blake who tells them whether to tap it or go for the two points. And then they dutifully listen to him.
    The only reason "Cooper Lino" went well on the weekend is that he was paired with Green instead of Hingano.

You may not share my view. You may think that RTS's fabulous goal line defence and the fact that he wears the C makes him the real deal and that he commands the boys around the paddock. In which case share your reasons for this view.

There are others you may favour - Harris, or Mannering, or Blair - anyone for SJ?

You may like to rate all of the candidates out of ten for leadership or just make a post listing points and examples.

I did toy with calling this thread "Who has the most mana?"
    But decided that is not quite what I meant although feel free to refer to Mana in your replies though...

Discuss...

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

RTS is the captain, no doubt at all. However there are others who lead e.g. Blair and Harris in the forwards and Green. That is an entirely different leadership group to last season.

3. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

The Captain is always the leader, otherwise your command structure has failed.

Senior staff are ranked beneath them for good reason. A clear chain of Command when called upon is vital.

The best way a Senior staffer can Serve their leader is to take as much responsibility of the Captain as possible.

Remembering that the Captain is the public face of the team, so they have the most accountability and therefore responsibility of the group.

When things are not going well in the results column it is the Captain that loses sleep at night, not his able lieutenants.

This is the command structure I work under...and when I was a younger more inspired man, the greatest leaders I served were not threatened by the appearance of someone talented running things.

The halfback or Six almost always leads the team around the park.

The Captain leads the club, the brand, and the fans to engage with the team.

I'm so pleased the club has brought in a Military leadership Consultant.

Fark I hated some of my bosses but In a properly structured system you respect the Rank not always the individual...that outlook ensures that people who may or may not get along, are still able to work together effectively.

That's my opinion based on personal experience therefore RTS is unquestioningly the leader from my POV otherwise your culture sucks and lunatics can still have their little mutinys and cliques.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  4. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Green leads the park around the team - but any good half should. RTS is captain.
    It's like saying Ben hunt is the Dragons captain.

5. wrighty
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2018

wrighty 1st Grade Fringe

Alright lads.
    Thanks for the unequivocal vote that it is RTS.

Who shows the second most leadership characteristics?

6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Agree with brucebruce. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is undoubtedly the captain but what's really good now is he has a genuine leadership group around him who all play with the same intensity and give 100% like he does.

Blake Green is only one of a few who help RTS. I think a lot of people, including Paul Kent, overstate Greens role in the team. Not saying it isn't significant, as it most certainly is, but it's easy to think he is the real leader when you have a strong playmaker running the attack. Highlight reels blind many.

Years gone by I have bemoaned our leadership group of Simon Mannering, Manu Vatuvei, Jacob Lillyman and Ben Henry. All nice guys who are too quiet. Also players who have spent the vast majority of their time in the Warriors camp so have little else experience to call on.

Contrast that with someone like Adam Blair who is one of the biggest grubs in the game. Even Gorden Tallis called him out for his dirty tactics. Blair is the type of guy who if he hadn't have made a successful career in league he would have been the President of a motorcycle gang. Thing is though every team needs one. He is the guy who will not only rip opponents heads off but also give his own team mates a spray if they aren't pulling their weight. And players love having someone like that alongside them.

Tohu Harris is another one that adds to the leadership group. This is a guy who dots all the i's and crosses all the t's. He has been part of a successful winning culture since his early playing days and played alongside some of the hardest workers and trainers the game has ever known. This is a guy who knows exactly what it takes to win. He knows exactly how to maintain peak condition for the whole year and back it up again even harder the next. You won't see him taking shortcuts at training or going half arsed.

Going back to Blake Green. He is a guy who has had to fight tooth and nail for every game he has ever played. While many give up on their dreams he has stuck at it and with dogged determination he has finally got a regular spot on good coin. Just like he always dreamed. You think he is going to waste this opportunity to rest on his laurels? I'm betting at his age he is even more determined to not only do it well but to leave a lasting legacy that he can look back on and know that all the pain and sacrifice was worth it. You can see on the field that he is very vocal and has this big brother role he plays to the juniors. Giving Papali'i a spray after offloading and knocking on the ball after he told him to hold it and rushing in to pull Ken Maumalo away from the failed short kick off against the Raiders.

Add to that Simon Mannering and Shaun Johnson and its a fairly strong and stable leadership group with the right mix of characters and personalities that help RTS lead the team and also allows him the freedom to do his own job. That is what we are seeing on the field now.

The other thing that generally gets overlooked is that the real leadership is off the field. Stephen Kearney along with Alex Corvo, Andrew McFadden and Stacey Jones. If the respect and trust doesn't start there than the whole house of cards falls down...

7. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Love the way that Blake Green brushed off Lino and one of the other boys when they tried to hug him for kicking a 40/20.

Unlike SJ kicking one and going all high five and lose time...Greens reloading the next bullet.

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

The team has a former military officer on the payroll advising the leadership group. Started about the same time as Corvo I think. So this leadership thing is no fluke.

9. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

Look back at SJ he was demanding that his team mates move back in position and not really giving out high fives.

10. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

I was surprised when I saw Green making the desicion on what to do with penalty’s.

11. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

The love for Green is strong.

But what I find interesting is the majority of players and coaching staff, are the same core group that lost us a record 9 in a row last season.

It’s quite astounding that a core team can go from being one of the worst to now one of the best in the space of 6 months. The mental shift and transformation has been nothing short of breath taking.

And I know we’re giving credit to Harris, Green and Blair but really all credit has to go to Corvo. He has been the game changer for this team.

Just look at Isaac Luke as your classic example. He’s literally turned back the clock the shape he’s gotten himself into.

Then you ‘ve got Lisone, Afoa, even Lino all transforming themselves from borderline first graders to must have game breakers. All this has nothing to do with Harris Blair or Green but everything to do with Corvo.

Makes me wonder how much of a detriment the likes of Wiki has been for us in the past when what we really needed was a well experienced qualified strength and conditioning coach.

Sorry off topic.

The true leader on the field as in any team has to be the Captain.

12. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

I was talking more historically rather than a specific game.

All of them are slowly getting to understand that those little celebrations give the opposition a little bit of time to calm down.

14. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

True...the Prophet...the mouth piece of God on high in the Coaches box.

15. Horriors2013
    Join:
    May 24, 2013

Horriors2013 1st Grade Fringe

LMFAO. Still Can't credit Kearney eh? Is everyone forgetting that Corvo trains their body? He only has them for preseason. During the year the coach has far more mental input than Corvo.

It's a club effort. The psyche coach, head coach, Cappy, Smith, Corvo. You know Konnie and other cast-offs prove you Can't out-train a bad diet. I'm sure Jenner put them through hard training. Difference was his players turned up to preseason with a fat puku.

Not so, this year. As players have said all the boys have bought into the vision. It's the coaching staff who collectively drive that vision. Repetitive messages consistently conveyed across the board.

Regarding leadership, I think RTS has been amazing. He has totally inspired them on the field. But Harris, Luke and Blair also shine because of their class at key moments. On clutch moments SJ shines. Greene directs the backs alongside SJ.

Greene's impact is in running straight and keeping that flat structure in attack when others are running different angles.

There are many leaders- that has been a focus of coaching this year.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito Warriors 1st Grader

I think what we are seeing is that its no good pointing to one person, e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e has to do their bit or it won’t work.

Coach, assistants, trainers, management, star player, scrub player they are all rowing in the same direction at the moment, and goddam is it good to see.

That balance can be easily upset by a star player deciding he doesn’t want to row as hard anymore, or the management getting replaced with new guys coming in and thinking they know better.

So lets just enjoy it, don’t worry about who deserves the most credit – that way lies the praising the individual above the team and we’re back to one bloke doing all the tough hit ups, one bloke doing all the tackling, one bloke being relied on to engineer every try, one bloke looking depressed in the press conferences because it’s his first head coaching job with no one else to help him, one CEO running around fixing stadium agreements, signing players, making big promises which he might believe, but can’t deliver on because he’s just one bloke.

Having said that i give most credit to Mooks. Head coach gets the arse when they lose, head coach should get the glory when they win.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  17. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Stephen who? j/k

Have you not seen Corvo at the lunch time breaks standing infront of the team in the sheds, on the paddock before the games going through the drills with the team. That guy is everywhere.

It’s Corvo.

All praise Corvo.

I am naming my next kid Corvo.

The love is strong

18. Snoopy
    Join:
    Aug 19, 2017

Snoopy 1st Grade Fringe

Corvo has done a great job as part of a team lead by SK. Still amazed at how underrecognised SK is. He has brought the back office and playing team together.

Green has been great and is part of the leadership group, The Australian media focus a lot more on him given he is Aussie.

19. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

No Kearney = no Corvo

20. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Yeah it's a clear sign Kearney isn't always micro managing.