Recruitment Who Should The Warriors Sign For 2017/2018?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by NZWarriors.com, Jan 4, 2017.

1. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

You raise an interesting point. Why would he stay when his contract expires based on his last two seasons. He is still young and well regarded. Club's will look beyond him playing for us. Unless there are massive improvements next year, I can't see him staying.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. Lets Gone
    Join:
    Aug 22, 2015

Lets Gone 1st Grade Fringe

If RTS leaves, Fus gets the 1 jersey imo

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  3. Swanley
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Swanley 1st Grade Fringe

bullshit...there are a heap of forwards which you are always banging on about needing that would school most of our pack....a lot of them actually play with heart....AND put in effort.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

My dear friend, the Northern game used to be the home of some of the toughest bastards that ever played. James Graham is only a relic of that era, and he is pretty tame compared to the likes of Cliff Watson and Mal Reilly.

I watched Manu Vatuvei in his first decent hit up for Salford send a couple of players on their arses and he couldn't even do that in reserve grade here.

So sorry, IMO the Northern game is not what it was, and the Warriors have ever had only half a decent Pom, and that was when Sam Tompkins was able to set Konrad Hurrell alight.

My guess is that all the available talent up north has been well and truly scouted by the other NRL clubs, just like most of our Kiwi talent is, so we may as well start at home.

Rant over.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

That's probably the only sensible thing you've said all week Bruce!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  6. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

I think there is still talent in the UK, two examples of this are the two Canberra boys Hodgson and Whitehead.
    It just needs to be identified something the Warriors are not good at, as evidenced by all the Kiwis starring for
    other NRL clubs.

7. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

I hear what your saying re them been already been scouted. But they're would still be unknown if it wasn't for the
    ability of the Raiders scouts to identify them. I'm sure there would still some diamonds in the rough, not a lot I grant you but hey you only need one or two and it can make a huge differnence
    You mention Greenwood from the Titans he's actually been playing quite well. Has a real crack. Shits over most
    of our forwards

• List
  8. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Grand dragon, Kiwi team's were made up of South aucklanders before the warriors came along - Mark Graham, the sorensons, Roy christian, filipaina, bell...... we won a few tests with them too.
    i think where you are coming from is the effect of polynesian migration on league has had an impact in younger grades where bigger, stronger wins especally in those that mature earlier but that also happened in australia. I think where aussie has beaten us is they have had the coaches and structure in the ARL(or whatever it is now) to teach their kids how to win with skill and hardness, this is where we have failed, the NZRL either dont get it or dont know what to do and we dont have the depth of coaching talent throughout the grades to sort it out.

• List

9. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Hypothetical ...Cameron Smith is born in NZ comes up through the junior development system. Would have he
    risen to the same heights as he has coming through the Aussie systems

10. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

James Graham, Ikin, these aussie panelist must be crazy right Bruce?

Calling his toxic roster "phenomenal" & "world class"

These guys got rocks in their heads or what?

This pathetic roster. Its not SK's fault.

I'm being sarcastic here btw

11. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Yes but he'd be playing rugby not league

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  12. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys, therein lies the problem

• List
  13. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

He'd be at Auckland Grammar (public) or Kings (private) and neither of these schools play league.

Whereas your south auckland schools like St Pauls or schools with a high Polynesian base like Mt Albert Grammar will all dominate in league.

This wont change as the traditional schools like Grammar will absolutely not introduce league into their mainstream.

Thats the problem right there. Unless it becomes a mainstream sport at school level its never going to change.

If you're a grammar kid and you want to play league then you have to go the club routine.

But even then the school will pressure you to play rugby if you happen to be big and strong. All the coaches are also school teachers right up to first XV level

Something fundamental has to change for it to challenge rugby.

Winning a premiership and consistently being in the top 8 will do the trick i think.

As well as a bit of luck eg Bluey being the headmaster/principle at Grammar

I cant see any of this happening anytime soon so we're basically fucked as a sport here

That being said Paul Kent is wrong though.

Most of our kiwis have developed in Australia.

The problem is they want to come home to family and friends.

Thats the reason they come. Not to win but to be with family.

That mindset needs to change also

This now becomes a human psychology question

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

As someone who lives in England and watches a fair amount of Super League, I think there is plenty of young talent. I'd single out Wigan, Leeds and St Helens as being the best clubs to blood youngsters. Wigan have had a lot of injuries this year and they've had to play youth, a lot of whom stepped up to the plate.

Where it falls behind NRL is the level of intensity week in week out, there are easy games in ESL so players don't develop that last few percent that makes the difference. Two reasons for this intensity imho:
    More players in NRL so competition for a place in the 17 is tougher
    Origin series means players push themselves incredibly hard to get a jersey, the three games in themselves also lift standards even higher. There is no equivalent competition in England.

They key to English players is to scout them young so there is room for development. Savelio is going to Brisbane and that will be interesting, but there are others who have the potential. Big ask for a young lad to travel to the other side of the world and make the grade immediately though.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  15. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

League also doesn't have the media following like it does in Australia.

You're in the public eye and constantly judged hence the pressure to compete is there.

Its not in NZ or England. For england its soccer for NZ its union. Its never going to change so we need to align our expectations to reflect this.

Top 8 is all we can ever accomplish at the Warriors. Thats as high as we can get. And we cant even get that currently.

We're better off joining the ESL

16. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

As the only NZ team in the competition, Warriors ought to be able to challenge imho. Case of getting properly organised.

• List
  17. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

18. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

I sometimes wonder if the Warriors brand has done more harm than good to promote League in NZ

• List
  19. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

I thought so too but after 20 years of failure that way of thinking needs to be re-examined

20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Kiwi and Auckland teams did included South Aucklanders, including that fine club Otahuhu, but when Auckland Rugby League was very strong they did not just come from South Auckland. The strength was actually all over Auckland, Northcote Sean Hoppe, Gary Freeman (and Bluey;)), Richmond, Mount Albert, Glenora, Mount Wellington, Ellerslie. Of the new areas SJ came from Hibiscus Coast.

Where the Aussies are different, the same as the Crusaders in Union is that most of the players are not Polynesian, so the culture is not predominantly Polynesian. Since Glenn's involvement the club has almost claimed to be a Polynesian club, bad move. they don't even include many Maori, talk about racial bias.

No, he would be too small. He wouldn't be playing league from Auckland though because they only select Polynesians. What might
    you say? Go to any scouting trials and see who gets selected.
    His stats suggest otherwise, especially on carries. He has scored a few tries and can off load but he isn't worth raving about. I still maintain that hypothetically the Warriors would clean up in the Super League.
    Fair question bro. Way back when I was at school it was regarded as "a second class game for second class citizens".

The guy who really put us on the map was Graham Lowe back in the early 1980's. He inherited a team developed by Ces Mountford and developed them further to really make a statement on the international scene. That then highlighted even more the strength of the game in Auckland.

That lead to the Warriors being formed, the rest is just sad history. The game got taken over by suits with no skin in the game.

I think the effect of the Warriors is neutral so far, but getting worse.

• List