Recruitment Who Should The Warriors Sign For 2017/2018?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by NZWarriors.com, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

I've been pushing this bandwagon most of the season, but apparently even they don't want to sign with us.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List

2. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

I think a lot of players would look as good as he did in that team tbh. The Broncos have one of the most balanced packs in the comp. They attack together, defend together and share the workload really evenly. No one stands out a lot but at the same time no one gets carried. I'm thinking he'd struggle in our team if we don't get a few other solid props for him to hunt with. Blair, Gavet and Pulu are a good start.

My thoughts exactly. If we can get in a few more cheap guys, maybe one or two of Tagataese, Heighington or Grant we should see the strong, aggressive forward pack Kearney's looking for.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Lolz we all know the Broncos have the thoroughbreds paying cash to star players, but get away with it because they aren't directly involved with the club.. That's how they re sign every player they want without trouble. We'd need 12 million to fit in their roster.

Roosters similar, the owner has some powerful mates.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  4. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

I always found it funny that the second Maloney left us he started showing up on the Footy Show every second week.

Broncos players always get handed Fox Sports gigs after football no matter how bad they are *cough* Tallis, Parker *cough*.

5. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

There's a guy called Mitch Aubusson who players for the Roosters. So consistent can play a number of positions

He's the professionals professional. Mind you I'm sure we could fuck him up

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

We have a problem signing well rounded Aussie players to the Warriors. But we don't actually need well rounded players.

We need tackle bots.

Guys who's only real ability in the sport is defense. These guys get overlooked by most clubs because most clubs need well rounded players. We have the advantage of the best attacking players in the comp almost every single season. But we can't defend our line for shit so we keep missing the 8. But if we put 5 or 6 tackle bots out there along side our local attack only players we get a well balanced team. The tackle bots help our attacking weapons stay focused on defense and our weapons carve up and produce freak scoring opportunities for our tackle bots on offense.

It's a match made in heaven.

Imagine the team with 5 Mannerings spread across our line. No cunt would score against us.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  7. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Aubusson ticks both boxes, good defender who hits hard and runs real good lines in attack.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Couldn't disagree more. This isn't the NFL where you only need to be good in one discipline. You need a balance across the team. 1 tackle bot for every 1 attacking dynamo is not balance imo.

• List

9. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Don't know if I'd be too keen for that. Imagine being in a team where your job is to cover for all the weak defenders around you. It'd be frustrating af. You also need as many attacking options as you can get so carrying a player who's only good for tackling would also be a burden.

Remember Todd Lowrie? Dude was about as 'tacklebot' as you can't get but wasn't good for much else. Gubb has been the same this year.

Having a well-rounded team is defs the way to go imo.

• List
  10. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Dogs supporters were spruiking the tackle bot line as well. Look where that got them.
    The Warriors have neither mangaged to learn the dark arts of attack or defense.

• List
  11. Panther
    Join:
    Aug 13, 2016

Panther U20's Player

The Panthers and Bulldogs are stacked in the front row, surely 1 or 2 could be prized away.

What's the situation with Matthew Lodge? How are Mitchell Dodds injuries?

Will Matthews is solid.

Jayden Nikorima could start at the Warriors

12. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

We have 1 tackle bot for every attacking dynamo?o_O...or do I need new reading glasses?...If we have that we would be in the GF already.:D
    I often think of him and how he performed when he left. He is much better than he looked here. He did come from Melbourne though. Mannering is a lot more than a tacklebot, he is an amazing talent blunted by having to do so much tackling. Michael Luck was a better partner for Mannering.
    Our guys can attack in their sleep. What they lack is patience against an organised defence, and of course an understanding that defence isn't optional.

13. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

I know plenty might think this is crazy but maybe Simon is part of the problem at the club.

As a footballer Manners can do some great stuff but he can also be just as average as anybody else.
    People like looking at his tackle counts and marvelling at them while forgetting or not even noticing the gaping hole he just gave up for a try or tries that he gets no stat for.
    Simon and Jake in particular can be abysmal in the line yet they get held up as defensive talisman.

There are no pussies or soft players in the NRL, that isn't the problem at the club.

Most of our problems start from the middle, and the problem with our middle is what seems to be a real lack of intellect, which tbh as a collective we are the dumbest team in the competition.
    Ridiculously our middle is made up of Simon, Isaac, Jake and Ben, most of that quartet has been here through the unprofessional rot, rot that was apparent while Simon was Captain.

14. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Yup reading it wrong. Jonno wants 5-6 tacklebots to balance out the team.

I think that's going too far the other way and have a 1-1 ratio is unbalanced in it's own way.

Need players who can do both

15. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Which Warriors team are you watching. If we could attack we wouldn't be in our current position on the ladder.
    Patience has nothing to do with it. We don't have the ability or smarts to be a potent attacking force. The team of the early 2000's could attack. The reality is most teams shit over us in attack. We don't have an attack which constantly threatens at the moment. Besides SJ which of our players are real attacking weapons based on current form. Wasn't the so called spine meant to have turned us into uber attackers. That worked well didn't it

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • List
  16. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I think the problem with our attack is lack of opportunitys to attack. The opposition teams are all presenting better defensive lines than we are ATM.

This is very encouraging for our foes and very demotivating for our team. The Raiders know all they have to do is grind hard and the holes will open up. Our guys are still thinking they have to create plays to beat a fully engaged and we'll set defensive line.

This is the contest we lose every weekend. So if we bring in some defensive talent and spread them across the park, with the job of organizing the line, we can start to win this aspect of the game. Guys who yell and motivate others to get into position quickly and then direct the defense to maximize its obstructive power.

I wish there was a stat for broken d line... ie How many times in a game did each team fail to reset their line. I reckon we'd be leading the comp in failed resets ATM.

It's hard to win when you give away a couple of easy trys and your opponent doesn't.

• List
  17. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

There's a thing called score board pressure. Other times are very adept at applying that to us.
    Once we are behind a try or two it's all over red rover. Even if we get to a substantial lead the opposition know that they've only got to peg a couple back and we start to implode

• List
  18. Panther
    Join:
    Aug 13, 2016

Panther U20's Player

The Warriors generate so little momentum/pace through a set of tackles or in periods of the game that they offer little in attack. Our team was/is structured around wingers and outside backs providing good yards early in sets, then we have a couple of props "settle" things down and we go to a kick. Defences must love the 4th tackle Lillyman option where he is given 10 metres to bring the attack from 15 out to 5m out. He is zero threat, wastes a tackle and reduces the distance between the sides while the defense gets organised to defend the predictable kick. Our play makers are under constant pressure.

Maybe its a change of game plan, but players who can recognise the moment, get excited and try to run through the line rather than at defenders feet, or be on a shoulder to support rather than setting up the next play.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  19. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Dogs have same problem with the Tolman 4th tackle option. I think at times they've
    devoted an entire thread to this.
    So why do we continue to do shit like this. Is it our players are only capable of remembering
    a couple of plays

• List
  20. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

All the best defenders seem to talk about defence being an attitude. It seems to be something a team has or doesn't have. Putting a known solid defender into a position won't nessicarily improve defence a lot.
    The best teams have solid defence year in year out, but their players change.
    Personally I think defence performance comes from above the players and recruiting solid defenders may have a small improvement but will almost definately come with a loss of attacking threat.