Recruitment Who Should The Warriors Sign For 2018/2019?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Oct 15, 2017.

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

His body may not be up for it. He has said as much himself...

2. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

AusWarriorsFan 1st Grade Fringe

How much do you think is in the budget? Id have thought we are pretty much on Empty now, but contract closures could change that.

I think we have the right backs, Im a little dissapointed in Kata in the last couple of seasons, but I dont know if Id replace him. he doesnt have that steam role effect you expect from guys with his hip strength. The same could be said of Hurrell I guess. They had amazing 1st seasons then things just flattened out.

Forwards, well if Mannering goes, we definitely need 80 minutes forwards. We could clone Harris? Its nice having forwards who can run but also have a high tackle rate and can also replace a back if needed. I dont think we need any more book ends, providing Pulu is fit.

Id love to tau Taupau but we dont need him and he costs too much. We need tall, fast, 80 minute forwards, Id possibly try to poach another storm forward, Bromwich, if we had they money.

3. CompletionRate
    Join:
    Sep 13, 2015

CompletionRate 1st Grade Fringe

Honestly if they had the chance to land Taupau you'd think they would throw the checkbook at him. He is the ideal high-profile kiwi forward the Warriors should be chasing. He could turn us into a premiership force for sure.
    I would say JWH too, but he might not be good for culture, unless the shift across the tasman woke him up. He looks far too comfortable for the Chooks at the moment.
    Ah Mau is getting alot of interest. Gaining a profile in Aus for some of the best hard running; huge motor, would fit perfectly with the kind of style our pack plays. Off-Contract. Definitely the best option out there at the moment, and a natural fit with our squad. Fits the recruitment criteria.
    Of course there's always going to be Tapine who is very similar to Tohu in many respects. A young pro and fearless hole runner. Again, big motor and fits the criteira.
    Even probably Zane Musgrove from the bunnies who isn't seeing a lot of action at the moment, could potentially thrive in our culture at the moment with the fairly even competition for front row stocks.

Crazy things happen all the time in rugby league, but if Mannering were to retire, these are who they should call first. If even just for depth while Papali'i develops. Because if you look at who else we have, MLH, James Bell and Jazz, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

4. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

hopefully not on a cock... Israel might not like that

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Selector
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2015

Selector 1st Grade Fringe

What the game showed on the weekend is we are still missing a big body.

The club should have a look at someone like Sauaso Sue. Signed with the Tigers till the end of 2018 but has yet to play first grade this season. Sign him as a mid season signing ala Shaun Lane until the end of the season. If he does well give him a new contract if not release him. But I think he would be worth the gamble. Still only twenty five and has played over a 100 games and was pushing for Kiwis selection a few years ago.

6. Uncmase
    Join:
    Mar 12, 2016

Uncmase 1st Grade Fringe

Good player. But you said big body. He's no bigger than Blair.

7. Juno
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2018

Juno 1st Grade Fringe

Northland...target this guy (might want to come home at some stage?), similar style, ticker, skills, and yet to reach his prime. Blair territory up there as well...
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

8. RizNz
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2018

RizNz U20's Player

I'd love to see Danny Levi come to the club as a long term replacement for Issac Luke, I've been following his career since I first saw him play for the Knights in the U20's and is one of my favorite players to watch. I don't understand why he isn't getting the call up for first grade at the moment.

9. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

Has good stats. Nice height, and weight suggests hes not huge so an 80 minute player.....

10. leaguejunkie
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

leaguejunkie 1st Grade Fringe

JFH will be a tough target to snare as he's contracted to the Panthers until the end of 2019. Gus also rates him big time. I wouldn't be surprised if Penrith offer him a massive extension either this year or next.

This kid comes from the same mould as NAS. At 197cm, 120kg the guy is a beast. He made his debut this year and has gone ok in a losing side. Plays a very similar role to NAS off the bench, massive impact/moderate minutes. Loads of potential at only 20 years of age.

I would love to see what this kid can do after having a pre-season with Corvo.

He was also born in Otahuhu.

Might be a looker with Manly's salary cap situation. Could be some other bargain buys there too.

11. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

This is the kid we need to keep

12. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

13. leaguejunkie
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

leaguejunkie 1st Grade Fringe

I believe he would be better used as a 40 minute impact prop. I certainly wouldn't be trying to mould him into an 80 minute prop, at least not from the get go. He'll be hungry, motivated and eager. I say give him 20 minutes at the end of each half, and tell him that he's got one job and that is to just run hard and straight. Keep it simple for him. With his size, he'll terrorise the opposition defence.

The Warriors lack a point of difference off the bench. Paseka certainly can offer that point of difference that we've been desparately looking for.

It would also make for a mouth watering clash when we play the Storm. Clash of the titans, Paseka v NAS.

14. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

C & P from OzwarriorOzwarrior post in the NRL Recruitment thread. Would go after LAM and NAS...

•Canberra’s Kangaroos prop Shannon Boyd is being chased by Newcastle and Gold Coast, with one offer worth $650,000 a season. However the Raiders say they won’t be pushed into making an inflated offer;

•Jarrod Wallace has an option in his favour to stay at the Gold Coast next year, and a four-year offer on the table, but is considering interest from Brisbane. If he leaves the Titans will target Boyd;

•Dragons have tabled an offer for enforcer Leeson Ah Mau and will meet with him this week to try and ward off interest from Newcastle and the New Zealand Warriors;

Titans prop Jarrod Wallace could defect to Brisbane. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
    •Melbourne have offered a new deal to Maroons prop Tim Glasby, who has attracted interest from Canberra and Newcastle, as well as the Dragons if Au Mau leaves, although Penrith’s interest has waned. A decision is expected by the end of this week;

•Josh Papalii is close to re-signing with Canberra on a three-year deal but reports emerged on Wednesday of an unknown club offering a four-year deal worth $3.2m. Souths are denying an interest;

•Newcastle are unlikely to re-sign Queensland front-rower Jacob Lillyman;

•Penrith have expressed interest in Brisbane’s Matt Lodge but he may resist a return to Sydney;

The Dragons will try to stave off interest in Leeson Ah Mau. (AAP/Craig Golding)
    •Prop Korbin Sims is yet to receive an offer from the Broncos, who have made re-signing Lodge their priority despite interest in Sims from Manly. Sims, who hopes to have his future settled within the next week;

•Canterbury are shopping around Aiden Tolman, who has previously been linked to Cronulla and the Gold Coast;

•Parramatta are expected to announce the signing of Junior Paulo on a four-year deal worth nearly $3m; and

•Canberra prop Sia Soliola is unsigned but highly respected at the club.

Nelson Asofa-Solomona is already talking to Melbourne. (AAP Image/Hamish Blair)
    Giant front-rower Nelson Asofa-Solomona has been linked to Parramatta when his deal concludes after next season. Melbourne however are currently negotiating to re-sign him now.

•Manly’s Marty Taupau has a heavily back-ended deal but remains under contact at Brookvale for next season.

Other props coming off contract after this year include Parramatta’s Suaia Matagi, South Sydney’s Mark Nicholls, St George Illawarra’s Jeremy Latimore and the Warriors’ Sam Lisone.

15. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

Going back to the thread title ... Jim Doyle

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Would like Ah Mau, good mid range level prop. NAS I think will stay at the Storm, we've chased him the last 2 seasons he has been off contract, and obviously no success. He might leave if someone throws a shed load of cash at him, I don't think we have the $$ to compete. Parra shouldn't be able to afford him with Paulo coming, would expect a team like the Titans or Knights going hard.

I like Sia Soliola, would be a cut price signing who could cover back row and prop for a couple seasons if we miss our top targets.

17. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

Yes this gets under my skin. All these forwards and whats the difference. Clearly guys like Harris and Papali'i stand out.

Id have no problem with an impact forward if they made an impact, but we have all these impact forwards not making an impact, if that makes sense?

Whatever we choose, the players need to be fit as fudge. Even if its a 20min player. For that 20 mins they can afford to not be fit enough to cover condensed D style. That is one reason I wanted Marty Taupau but hes not cheap and does he want to play for the warriors, it needs to be looked at as players who want to play for us. Maloney didnt stay, the warriors were the last team on earth he wanted to play for. I think we would have won a GF by now had he of, especially with Lino coming through to learn from him.

Thats mostly why I want most of our forwards being Harris sorts, and if they can score tries like Menzies that would be sweet, but he was a 1 of a kind.

Perhaps we should go through our Roster one day on here and see who we think we can afford to let go, along with their salary, which will give us a better idea of who we could afford.

Ive watched all NSW Cup and u21 and my mind is blank on forwards on who is standing out, Im extremely ill, literally have cognition issues, but for some reason I have no issue remembering what the backs have done. Lawton is technically a forward but hes been off the hook, him and Lino really have steered our ship in the 8.

Jim Doyle lol, the NZW Forum can do a great job of hiring, firing, perspiring lol.

18. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

•Canberra prop Sia Soliola is unsigned but highly respected at the club.

Sia wouldnt come to Mt Smart.

His head is still spinning from getting bashed by Wiki 10 years ago !!

19. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

What about that ex Queensland prop Lillyman guys? Solid numbers and consistent hahahaha

20. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

Maloney didnt stay, the warriors were the last team on earth he wanted to play for. I think we would have won a GF by now had he of, especially with Lino coming through to learn from him.

did he really say that ?? he got us to the finals in 2 of the 3 years and the big dance in 2011, did he really not want to play for us ?