General Discussion YOUR Warriors Team For 2018

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Lord Gnome of Howick MBE, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Simon Mannering

2. Adam Blair

3. Shaun Johnson

4. Tohu Harris

5. David Fusitua

6. Solomone Kata

7. Leivaha Pulu

8. Manaia Cherrington

9. Sam Lisone

10. Albert Vete

11. Zac Santo

12. Ken Maumalo

13. Mason Lino

14. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

15. Blake Ayshford

16. Issac Luke

17. Nathaniel Roache

18. James Gavet

19. Jazz Tevaga

20. Ligi Sao

21. Bunty Afoa

22. Ata Hingano

23. Isaiah Papalii

24. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

25. Chris Satae

26. James Bell

27. Peta Hiku

28. Gerard Beale

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Matulino#1 1st Grade Fringe

It's a great point that I think you've raised before.

Lillyman is the perfect bench prop, capable of playing much longer minutes than say Matangi or Tof Sipley at present.

More than happy to keep him another year, in fact it should be a two year contract with the second year in the clubs favour

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

I want Lillyman to go back to playing lock like he did throughout the start of his career. He's definitely struggling with carrying metres as he get older but is still an absolute workhorse.

Then push Mannering to second row where his attack won't suffer from the amount defensive work he has to get through in the middle. He gets through so many tackles that his carries have zero impact. Plus we might get an extra couple of years out him, because at this rate I can see him retiring by the end of next year with his current workload.

A back row of this next year would be good:
    11. Tohu Harris
    12. Simon Mannering
    13. Jacob Lillyman

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  3. sballer7
    Join:
    May 21, 2015

sballer7 Warriors Bench Player

Id put Tohu at 13 to allow Mannering back to his best spot on the edge...not sure Liilyman is mobile enough to be lock at this stage. He was a lot smaller during his years in the back row.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

He's a pretty good trainer. I think he could easily lose the weight needed to play longer minutes. These days prop and lock are almost identical positions except lock plays longer minutes and is able to roam the middle more on defence which suits Lillyman's strengths. Also, I think Tohu's best position is on the edge not in the middle.

5. sballer7
    Join:
    May 21, 2015

sballer7 Warriors Bench Player

Fair call...looks to me like jakey loves the weight room a little too much. agree that tohu is best as a hole running backrower, although could have said the same for Hoffman during his storm years. They never seem have the same impact running off our halves (bar Thompson). I feel of our current prop rotation, Lisone would be the best option to build into a lock, given his slightly smaller frame and ability to ball play at the line.

6. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah Lisone's a good lock prospect for the future, but at the moment his defence isn't good enough to play there and even though he does have a smaller body he still struggles with longer minutes. I like Lisone off the bench with his hit up speed and ball playing.

• List
  7. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

1. RTS
    2. Fusitua
    3. A new centre better than Ayshford, I don’t mind Jordan Kahu if he don’t cost too much
    4. Kata
    5. CNK
    6. Hingano (downgrade)
    7. Johnson
    8. Gav-itt
    9. Luke
    10. ………. A BIG prop signing to replace Matulino, if its not NAS and its not Graham I really don’t know who else is available (possible upgrade)
    11. Harris (upgrade)
    12. Mannering
    13. Pulu (possible upgrade)
    14. Elijah Taylor, seriously, if he wants to come home
    15, 16, 17 Sipley, Sao, Vete, Afoa, Lisone, Lillyman, Satae, whoever rises to the top

Its still not a top 4 team unless they get rid of their mental frailties and switch on for every game. Still looks mid table.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017

9. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Uncmase
    Join:
    Mar 12, 2016

Uncmase 1st Grade Fringe

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  12. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

• List
  13. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

14. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

• List
  15. Salatape
    Join:
    Jul 19, 2016

Salatape 1st Grade Fringe

Back line is about as good as it's going to get. CNK and Fus are studs, hopefully Kata finds his form again and if Maumalo continues to play well then I wouldn't really mind him staying on the wing next year either but we have got to do something about that forward pack.

• List
  16. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

Two things I want to see, one is the forwards providing go forward consistently. The second is an ability for Coaching staff and players to adjust their tactics in game.

I saw a masterclass in that in Union recently when the Crusaders beat the Hurricanes. Ngani Laumape started the game on fire. running over the top of the Crusaders 1st 5 every time and making it way beyond the advantage line. The Crusaders adjusted by shifting the 1st 5 to Centre on D and matching Laumape with Crotty and he was stopped at the advantage line every time after that.

The other thing they did was pre planned and involved very fast line speed and tackling low to take the time away, consequently any offload became low percentage due to time and really stretched the Hurricanes backs skill levels with pressure and forcing mistakes.

Coaching is about maximising your resources and providing the best environment for the team to perform. You can perform consistently with dumb players but not dumb Coaches.

• List
  17. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Hasnt been re-signed as yet so cant add him into the team...

• List
  18. Warriors4eva95
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2017

Warriors4eva95 Waterboy

This would be my guess to next year

8.Gavet
    10.Vete
    11.harris
    12.Mannering
    13. Pulu

14.Roache/cherrington
    15. Afoa - pulu substitue
    16.Lisone/Sao/papalii impact forwards anyone will do leaning towards Sao/papalii more than Lisone has stone boots that fella but then again they all do lol
    17. P Sipley one of the fastest forwards in the game i reckon needs some more game time was instrumental in the game he debuted in against the dragons now that would be a devasting forward pack and damaging outside backs minus Kata for CNK

19. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

We're not done signing players. Next years team is guesswork without all the information.

• List
  20. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Yes Pat Sipley is quick for a forward your right there but it was his brother Tof who debuted last year against the Dragons.

Gotta say if that ends up being our front row rotation for next season where in trouble, they'd have less than 200 first grade games between them.