General Discussion You're now the sole owner of the Warriors. What is your plan?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by kenny44, Jul 15, 2017.

1. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

That has been tried, and failed IMO. It was the Auckland Warriors, then it became the NZ Warriors. Might have been the worst thing they ever did apart from Ian Robson designing the Maori emblem the wrong way.

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Ummm I said a total rebrand. Renaming the Warriors to the Warriors and keeping the same logo isnt a complete rebrand now is it...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

To be fair to SK, and even JD. I believe they can sort the club out given the right circumstances. We are still not wooden spoon yet. The Wariors brand does have some history, we won the minor premiership in 2002 and if EW had any knowledge of the game we would have built on that, but we haven't.

4. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

1. Re-name the club the Auckland Warriors. Back to the blue and green. Maybe change the name to something like Taniwha and keep the black/silvery stuff but I'm less sold on changing the "brand" than changing the culture of the actual playing group. I don't see how rebranding aids in that process.
    2. To this end, I'd make the marketing, advertising etc all based on coming to Auckland to watch the team - so Ateed, Air New Zealand etc get on board.
    3. Stop doing the "take one home game to another city" thing. Memo to The Rest of New Zealand: We play in two places, Mt Smart and - if it's a finals game and the NRL don't like Mt Smart for that game, Eden Park. And most of you hated the Warriors when they were the New Zealand Warriors anyway...
    4. Negotiate with the NRL to, as much as possible, have consecutive away games. I'd give up having to play in Perth and then Darwin so long as they were consecutive away games - ie the location is less of a negative for me than the "play in Auckland one week and Perth the next" thing.
    5. Buy/hire a spot on Australia where the team could stay and train in between any consecutive away games we were lucky enough to get - one in Sydney one in, say, Perth (if the NRL want to make "away from the usual places" - Perth, Darwin, Adelaide etc - games a permanent thing, seems they do).
    6. Tell the fans "Look, this is not going to be a great season in all probability. The problems are A, B, C, D and we're doing E to fix A, F to fix B, G to fix C but D is largely out of our control (ie getting marquee Australian players and coaches). You'll see improvements in Seasons 1 and 2 but don't expect finals football until Season 3. Obviously, the sooner the better but no promises from this end. No matter how the team do points-wise, the coach will be around until Season 3 at least. We need patience and consistency in all the team do to build them up. The Coaching Merry-Go-Round does not aid in that process."
    7. Arrange for absolutely every ex-Warriors coach/owner/player/official to develop lockjaw. Or give them therapy sessions so that whenever a journalist even mentions the word Warriors, they have a psychological reaction that makes them scream "No comment! Go away from me!"
    8. Work with Auckland Council to speed up the renovation of the Mount as much as possible. Make stairs etc as shallow-angled as realistic - if they aren't already - to make access easier. Ramp or two for wheelchairs/prams etc.
    9. Have the music people play actual New Zealand music. "Testify" is a good song, but RATM ain't a New Zealand band.

Most important, though:
    Make alla you guys selectors but I still have final say.
    Have seats that, at the press of a button, curve around the person's body so they turn away from the game and comfortably lie in the feotal position, sucking their thumb and cry for Mummy - too difficult with the current ones.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  5. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

A smart owner wouldnt sell now. The price tag is too low and no one is going to give you overs for this rabble of a club.

All this maori, polynesian cultural crap. Throw it out the window. We dont need it.

What we need to do is look to the future. And define it how we see fit.

We need smart people in this organisation. If the Americas Cup has shown me anything is that very smart people do exist in this country.

If we had a fraction of the intelligence used to win the cup, we wouldnt be questioning top 8. We would challenging to win it every year.

The Warrior name, maori pride, all that shit. Just biff it.

Look for a modern approach to how we sell this club. Inspire people to think of the future.

Fuck the past. Its come and gone. And there was nothing we can look back on with pride. Two grand finals in 20 odd years a bloody embarrassment.

As a kiwi. We shouldnt accept it.

Embrace CHANGE.

Can someone get into SK's fucking ear and tell him that for me?

Thank you!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  6. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Sorry mate.

Wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Simple things are made difficult with these two.

They dont know the meaning of build.

I bet you SK wipes his arse with his hands. The proceeds to use the toilet paper to blow his nose.

7. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Incorporate professionalism. Start from there and everything will fall into place. Make it known that everyone is there to achieve one thing - win. This is no retirement home nor a bros chillout house nor a gang clubhouse. Leave all preconceived notion on what the players think is to be a professional athlete behind - they dont get it. Retain SK or get a coach who the players are actually scared off to screw up for like Bellamy or Bennett. Pick players on form not past reputation. Stop all the bs keep the faith, above the line spin. Implement actual accountability into all areas of the club. Get real leaders into the squad and get rid of anyone whose goal is not success orientated as the main priority. Stop giving jobs to bros and get successful qualified staff. Educate younger players and let the wiser heads set standards. If a first grade player cant catch a ball, cant tackle or cant pass...dont fucking keep there till they learn...use the reserve grade team - its there for a reason.

I just dont think that the players are aligned to Doyle or kearneys vision for the club.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Some are, but not enough.

Funny watching Lolohea play this afternoon. He looks like he knows what to do. I can see Mutts having a blinder next season as well. That indicates to me this club had/has serious problems that cannot be the fault of SK because he inherited the mess so I wouldn't be sacking him, I would be looking elsewhere.

Oh whats that Bruce, you own the club now, oh shite I have already sacked the bastard who needs to be sacked.

9. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

A base away from home would be interesting especially on our away from. In essence the players would be sleeping in their own beds just on most trips they wouldn't have their family with them. It would however give them familiar surroundings every second week say if they had a base in Sydney. They could leave clothes and gear there.

Instead of consecutive away games I'd look at a base to stay at for most away games instead of checking into hotels.

If we are to make a Grand Final again chances are we will qualify after winning a game in Australia. Now do we come back and soak in the atmosphere in NZ before being disrupted by having to head over for the Grand Final breakfast or stay in Australia. If we had a base to head back to we wouldn't lose the day travelling back to NZ or the disruption heading back and having to find somewhere to train which is likely going to be someone at the coach calling in a few favours with a former club.

• List
  10. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Nah I agree with everyone else. Rebrand it back to the Auckland Warriors and then when I stuff it up or sell it the next person would re brand it back to the NZ Warriors and the cycle repeats.

Also keeps all of our Jerseys relevant.:p

11. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

I'm sole owner so I can only assume EW is already gone. Therefore first thing I would do, and this may surprise a few of you, is sack Doyle. Longer he is here the worse things will get, so he's out to pasture (and anyone who suggests anything along the lines of building a bridge can go jump off the fucking thing). Next up I would sack the board and the advisory committee. Then after that I would set about identifying the smartest league brain in Australasia and offer him whatever he needs to join our club. Once that individual is on board then I would step back and let them take control of the decision making process on everything league related. Our biggest problem has been executives and shareholders not knowing where their skill set ends and where hubris begins - so I'm not about to repeat that error. It's all yours Graham Lowe... (joke).

• List
  12. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Jordan G Warriors 1st Grader

I want to read that as sarcasm....I'm just not quite sure.

13. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Likewise with your post...

14. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

[QUOTsomeone elseeastMode, post: 669715, member: 4275"]A smart owner wouldnt sell now. The price tag is too low and no one is going to give you overs for this rabble of a club.

All this maori, polynesian cultural crap. Throw it out the window. We dont need it.

What we need to do is look to the future. And define it how we see fit.

We need smart people in this organisation. If the Americas Cup has shown me anything is that very smart people do exist in this country.

If we had a fraction of the intelligence used to win the cup, we wouldnt be questioning top 8. We would challenging to win it every year.

The Warrior name, maori pride, all that shit. Just biff it.

Look for a modern approach to how we sell this club. Inspire people to think of the future.

Fuck the past. Its come and gone. And there was nothing we can look back on with pride. Two grand finals in 20 odd years a bloody embarrassment.

As a kiwi. We shouldnt accept it.

Embrace CHANGE.

Can someone get into SK's fucking ear and tell him that for me?

Thank you![/QUOTE]
    Glad someone else said it I couldn't word it right ,
    We have got a real winning culture in New Zealand an it
    ain't got anything to do with gangs, Hiphop, Or race
    let's identify, it , Utilize it an Emulate it ,,
    I'd start by asking questions of the Whitlock family
    The Stanly Family an a bunch of others to get a clear
    perspective on what they are doing that is allowing their
    kids to succeed an how to keep it together when success
    happens,
    This would be the new culture ,

15. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

first, get in a professional recruiter.

Find the 2 best props in the juniors and sign them to 6 year contracts ending on some exorbitant rate but with clauses built in so it doesnt cripple the club if they break down or under perform.

Sign 2 experienced props for the exhorbitant rates for the first 3 years of the juniors guys contracts, people for them to learn off.

Buy an experienced, quality centre.

SJ has 3 years, if he cannot get the team off to a decent start, hes gone, hes probably gone in 3 years anyway either due to injury or cashing up in the UK at 29.

Poach Cleary, he grew up at the Warriors and he will be coming into his prime in 3 years, 22 years old with 5 years experience.

See if Cameron Smith wants to be a coach, fast track him a la Stacey Jones

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Matulino#1 1st Grade Fringe

1) Buy Boarding House in Australia

2) Pay respected former Warrior (Someone like Awen or Wairangi Koopu) to live in said boarding house.

3) All junior talent identified as being worth investing in are shipped off away from home to said boarding house and enrolled in a Rugby League School.

4) Warriors enter an under 16 team into Harold Matthews and under 18 team into S G Ball - Said players play in these competitions.

5) Players come back into NSW Cup at 19 - 20 and further developed into First grade

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  17. drunk_monk
    Join:
    May 15, 2014

drunk_monk 1st Grade Fringe

Hire a bunch of artists, make and sell a lot of Jerseys, and bleed that brand for what its worth, and then cash out.

Bring the team down to Welly, give it a new name and logo from aforementioned artists as they still have a couple of months on their contracts, and then sell it to a Wellington philanthropist so I can go to NRL games regularly.

18. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Make a different jersey design for each game of the season and sell of limited one off's to mt.wellingtonmt.wellington - best way I can think of to keep the club afloat!!!

19. Kalcod
    Join:
    May 13, 2012

Kalcod 1st Grade Fringe

20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Didn't surprise me one little bit.
    and the bastard that appointed them, was that Doyle or Watson?
    Amen brother.
    Wayne Bennett??
    Shane Richardson??
    Brian Smith??
    Ray Dibb??;)...joking
    Nick Politis?? joking
    Phil Gould?? Not joking...how would he go...he didn't get Penrith anywhere but he did set up their system

It isn't a big list because the skill set is very wide. The Bulldogs would not be in the shite they are now if Bullfrog Moore was still alive. His skill at recruitment lasted way beyond his death because he set them up with a system. That has all gone now so they have to start again.

• List