General Discussion You're now the sole owner of the Warriors. What is your plan?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by kenny44, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

I was going to add 'smartest league brain not already formally employed at another club' because I was thinking the Phil Gould would otherwise be on the short list. However fuck that - anyone can be bought if offered enough coin. Of course there may be plenty of superior options to Phil Gould - his commentary role puts him on a pedestal however the loudest voice shouldn't be confused for the smartest voice (as evidence of this I present Mr Jim Doyle).

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Phil Gould has some success at Penrith, but it was slow and painful and in the end not overwhelming in his time.

I agree Jim Doyle sounds very smart, but he has also been indisputably successful in business and with that shambles the NZRL. Not knowing the guy, and accepting he has made some big mistakes in his time at the Warriors, is he really that bad that things cannot be fixed. What is the re with this guy?

3. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I'd bring in a full on, ball busting, merit based system for the players.

They'd be rated at every training session and every game, and the winners of those ratings would get selected next weekend.

I'd be a simple enough points game, with clearly defined rules for achieving points. Game day points would have twice the weighting of training points. Carryover points would last 3 weeks before expiring.

Failure to achieve more points than another player would result in not getting selected on game day.

Not trying to achieve points would result in getting punted through the front gate with a restraining order never to return. (Just jokes, they could still buy tickets for the games)...;)

Negative points can only be accrued during the games by playing shit.

If someone like club legend Manu made 6 errors in a singe game, he'd miss the next one. It'd be nothing personal, it's just how the system is set up and would be fair to everyone.

If he got on the energy drinks mid week and didn't win any of the contests at training, he'd miss the next game as well.

4. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

Haven't a clue really but here goes:

I'd buy a house in Auckland and move there first of all. Eric Watson could move into my current residence at a reasonable rent as part of the deal.
    I'd sit SK down and ask him to think about why things were going wrong and what in his opinion it would take to turn them around. If I thought he knew what he was doing based on this I'd keep him on, If not he'd have to go.
    Recruit a head coach (see above) and a football manager. Key thing, aside from being able to spot talent, would be a culture of professionalism
    I'd put in place a network of hardened 'seen it all scouts' in key places in NZ and Australia and have them report back to head coach and football manager. Not just on talent but on the attitude and lifestyle of the players (no idlers, pisspots or roidheads)
    Try and develop a culture around the club, almost a siege like mentality, so that the teams representing the club know exactly what is expected of them and other clubs know they are in a game.
    Employ people to work really hard on the coaching of the youth at the club, it has to be the future of the club.
    From a marketing and branding point of view, promote the unique nature of the Warriors club and the history of Auckland RL. Not a copy and paste from a bog standard Aussie club. Employ some ambassadors to do this.
    Employ a decent CEO to manage player contracts and salary cap stuff.
    Maker everyone at the club feel they are part of something, first name terms both ways and buy them all a small present on their birthday.

Sorted.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. tokoroafan2017
    Join:
    Jul 2, 2017

tokoroafan2017 Waterboy

look at getting maloney for next season to replace Foran give Chris Satae a run this weekend

• List
  6. Worried2Death
    Join:
    Mar 6, 2016

Worried2Death 1st Grade Fringe

1. Have a party and blow it up

7. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Sorry dude but you've got to win grand final first before you can do that ...

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

;)

8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

A GF victory is a little way off.

What about next time we make the finals? We could burn down one of the ticked sheds....

9. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

1. Sack Kearney
    2. Keep Jim Doyle
    3. Bring on nzwood.co.nz as the major sponsor.
    4. Get rid of Woodstock as a sponsor.
    4. Change the name to the NZ Jim Beams

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  10. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

If money was no object I would relocate the operation to somewhere like the Sunshine Coast. That way easier to recruit Aussie players and gets young Kiwis' particularly Aucklanders out of their comfort zone. Still maintain an Auckland Office for Memberships and merchandising.

On the playing front the travel is the same and gives better negotiating avenues with NZ stadiums for 'home' games. Also opens up bigger Aussie markets for sponsorship, endorsements and 'gasp' 3rd party. Mt Smart will still be the de facto home ground. Also how will this affect those who are regular attendees, very little I reckon.

Have a Consultant to club's day to day operation on a regular basis. As it is mainly man management it doesn't have to be a League man. My first choice would be Sir Alex Ferguson. He doesn't need to be there all the time. This is necessary as Elliott correctly pointed out deficiecies in the club and relocating will only address part of the isssues.

Invest big time in SG Ball and Harold Mathews. For me this is the only real answer to the player development of NZ recruited players.

All involved in the Warriors to take cement pills and harden up.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Blindside
    Join:
    May 24, 2012

Blindside 1st Grade Fringe

Sell it, no matter how low the price.
    (Will probably be bought by an Australian syndicate and relocated to the Sunshine Coast.)
    Put the proceeds on the bar for the fans to get some enjoyment from.
    Cause I don't need the stress and the fans still have a lot of heartache ahead.

• List
  12. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

13. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

For some reason the clip from the Simpsons when Homer has a dream of owning the Dallas Cowboys and is given a side by his former boss Hank Scorpio to give him a start.

I'd like to own a successful NRL side like the Brisbane Broncos......................The Warriors.:arghh: Whats wrong with owning the Warriorso_O You just don't know league.:banghead:

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  14. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Unnnnaaagggaaahhhh mmeeerrr derrrppppaaaa raaahhh noop noop.

That was pretty much the sound of my brain deflating after reading the headline of yet another pie in the sky article about something that will never happen.

My favourite line is "The last five years have been groundhog day, the only difference is the coach."

Shouldn't that indicate there are more problems than just a quick fix magic button coach?

• List
  15. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Ok, here goes.

I would go down to training.

There would be a punishment area for retards.

I would ask them who is doing extras. Some would put their hands up, any laughter, that player would be off to the punishment area.

I would then watch the training.

If I saw any useless shit mucking around not taking things seriously he would be sorted instantly. Sent to the punishment area.

The guys in the punishment area would be immediately dropped to reserves until further notice. Their agents put on notice not to expect a contract renewal. Their replacements from the reserves would be named immediately.

That would mean many losses, many unhappy fans, many complaints on radio, TV and on forums.

I would front the media.

I want this club to be great. Some people here don't care about that. There isn't room for the both of us, and I own the club ok.

People would say I was nuts, but I wouldn't care. Eventually I would find players who would play with passion. They might get beaten, but they would play with passion and go down fighting.

The retards could piss off and ruin somebody else's club.

Now I think this is what SK is trying to do, except he cannot do it that roughly and that quickly, but that has to be what he is trying to do.

He wouldn't have wasted his time coming back otherwise.

My problem is I don't know what Watson and Doyle are doing about it.

16. MXRecord
    Join:
    Apr 8, 2014

MXRecord 1st Grade Fringe

I'd shut the place down and open up somewhere else, 'The Warriors' as we know it would be dead.