General Blueys Round Review 2024

Yes to all of this. The question I was trying to ask is were there any other things outside of the injuries/recruitment? I mean is our attack stalling purely down to having Capewell playing second row instead of Marata or Curran for example?

There's two issues I see:

1. A major plan was well publicised but unable to be executed due to injury:
- we needed better middle support for AFB
- Marata was moved to the middle
- Capewell brought in for the right
- both have barely featured.
- Curran and Siro exodus were part of these plans, we lost guys and those we kept can't get on the field.

2. Webster (notice he is Webster now a lot more than Webby...) was way to cushy with the media about RTS, Taine & CNK.
- by all means communicate what needs to be communicated internally but give nothing away publicly
- Any positional change now for RTS & CNK is going to make him look a bit of a fool.
- He knows this, can only hope he can rise above going against his steadfast public words.

Above all, you get a sense they felt all the stars had aligned to a top 4 maybe top 2 finish this year. They went all in and it's more than blindingly obvious there is no plan B.

It's looking like Webby was a flash in the pan the way the team are tracking at the moment and anyone thinking so would be justified in that appraisal.

I believe we can blame the Sea Eagles for our run of losses. The fact that we managed a draw was just through sheer tenacity from the team. Manly actually had a game plan that should have won the game and its been one that other teams have refined and exploited to their advantage. Every single team since that game have simply negated what was once a solid defensive structure by playing very flat at the line. Unfortunately for our edges it leaves them all committing one on one while planted without enough time for our sweepers to cover the inside. You see the set up is almost always the opposition bringing in the second rowers to keep them at the ruck then swinging it wide to isolate the edges. It's little wonder our edges players are dropping like flies getting bashed left right and centre like they are playing in the middle.

That injury toll is also hurting us. As crucial as SJ is to the team he becomes a liability when he is injured. If you were playing him you would be stupid not to try run him over every opportunity. Whatever happened to the days when halves were sandwiched between two big hard hitting forwards?

Defence wins Premierships. A quote that has been uttered by great coaches in some form or another in every sport on the planet. When it comes to league the stats don't lie. We are more than capable of scoring enough points to win. Fix our defence and we fix our team.

I still have every confidence that Webby is our guy. I just hope he can adjust in time to save our season because his first half of the season is an unfortunate F grading...

I believe we can blame the Sea Eagles for our run of losses. The fact that we managed a draw was just through sheer tenacity from the team. Manly actually had a game plan that should have won the game and its been one that other teams have refined and exploited to their advantage.

I was laughed at and ostracized (not here) for calling this out after the Manly game. I'm gutted we haven't been able to find another way.

Looking back I think this season every team has lifting for us and we have playing high intensity football week after week. Every team played fast and hard. Fast as in lots of intense game time with little stoppages.

There’s a lot of action in our games. We are first for run meters with 1907m per game and third for season tackles made with 351 per game (4th based on average due to byes). That’s shows the intensity of our games and time in play.

Our games have a lot of contact on both sides of the ball (most in the league?) Hence a lot of injuries. With stats like this, where our team is doing the most physical work in the NRL and every games high intensity, Injuries are a natural outcome of our games. It’s just stats - most contacts = most injuries. (Other teams are having 20% less contact in their games)

Those injuries hit hard, missing frontline players and cohesion but also players needing to find form when they return.

Our players are burnt out physically. Is playing an intensive, physical, grinding game (most intense in the league) the right plan for us when we have less recovery days due to our travel?

I think the players have checked out mentally since the Manly game. Results, injuries and the grind has got to them. You see it in our lack of physicality and intensity. We’re putting our bodies first rather than laying it all out there like last season.

Last edited:
Looking back I think this season every team has lifting for us and we have playing high intensity football week after week. Every team played fast and hard. Fast as in lots of intense game time with little stoppages.

There’s a lot of action in our games. We are first for run meters with 1907m per game and 4th for tackles made with 351 per game. That’s shows the intensity of our games and time in play.

Our games have a lot of contact on both sides of the ball (most in the league?) Hence a lot of injuries. With stats like this, where our team is doing the most physical work in the NRL and every games high intensity, Injuries are a natural outcome of our games. It’s just stats - most contacts = most injuries. (Other teams are having 20% less contact in their games)

Those injuries hit hard, missing frontline players and cohesion but also players needing to find form when they return.

Our players are burnt out physically. Is playing an intensive, physical, grinding game (most intense in the league) the right plan for us when we have less recovery days due to our travel?

I think the players have checked out mentally since the Manly game. Results, injuries and the grind has got to them. You see it in our lack of physicality and intensity. We’re putting our bodies first rather than laying it all out there like last season.

I don't buy into this at all.

Teams do not lift against us.

We have a game plan that invites teams to match us. We've not been able to keep with them when they do!

And as for checking out after Manly, in round 6?!? Come on... There is frustration that things are not working but I haven't seen anyone check out (except maybe Kosi).

I don't buy into this at all.

Teams do not lift against us.

We have a game plan that invites teams to match us. We've not been able to keep with them when they do!

And as for checking out after Manly, in round 6?!? Come on... There is frustration that things are not working but I haven't seen anyone check out (except maybe Kosi).
Maybe they don’t lift against us.

Maybe it’s our game plan to play a fast, low error grind with lots of ball in play and no downtime.

Whatever, the stats say we’re doing the most work in the NRL on attack and defence. Facts.

Is it a coincidence we have the most injuries and are looking physically the most burn out?

Should we invite teams to match us if it’s unsustainable playing to 110% every week ourselves?

Maybe they don’t lift against us.

Maybe it’s our game plan to play a fast, low error grind with lots of ball in play and no downtime.

Whatever, the stats say we’re doing the most work in the NRL on attack and defence. Facts.

Is it a coincidence we have the most injuries and are looking physically the most burn out?

Should we invite teams to match us if it’s unsustainable playing to 110% every week ourselves?

Are we looking burned out? Not really what I'm seeing.

Certainly the recent bench strategy is unsustainable but is starting to look better.

I see us getting physically dominated every week lately.
finally got to the crux of it. And it has nothing to do with burn out. You made that logical leap with zero evidence purely because it means by default; the players are all putting in amazing efforts and are above reproach. The only evidence is they are getting physically dominated every week; which leads us to the conclusion that team arent physically dominant. As to why; player type; age; injury, coaching strategy, are all bigger factors than burn out.

Defence wins Premierships. A quote that has been uttered by great coaches in some form or another in every sport on the planet. When it comes to league the stats don't lie. We are more than capable of scoring enough points to win. Fix our defence and we fix our team.

I dunno, the amount of times opposition keeps us scoreless with multiple raids on their goalline (even with the multiple ref/bunker denied tries) has felt like the biggest issue for us so far this year.

Roosters are just above us on Missed Tackles stats but have been one of the early premiership favourites due to being able to vastly outscore their opponents (most recently us of course).

Either way, hope we can score more and concede less going forward, no biggie 😅

If it's not burnout or laziness, are the warriors just complacent?

It would be interesting to see what it's like on the training paddock. I did find it hard to take that leading into that dragons game they were dejected that week!

You just smashed Souths and found a way to draw with manly when we had no right. and then you are down and tired (Monty beatham, and Webby's words). It was round 7!

I think webby made a mistake in giving SJ an excuse by saying how busted and he was on one leg. Even though true don't give players the outs they need, I'm not surprised all the top players for us this season are Australians.

The mentality looks weak and that's not exactly setting up our young guns coming through. I hope the cup guys take the opportunity to stamp it and make webby think about some that are coming back.

If it's not burnout or laziness, are the warriors just complacent?

It would be interesting to see what it's like on the training paddock. I did find it hard to take that leading into that dragons game they were dejected that week!

You just smashed Souths and found a way to draw with manly when we had no right. and then you are down and tired (Monty beatham, and Webby's words). It was round 7!

I think webby made a mistake in giving SJ an excuse by saying how busted and he was on one leg. Even though true don't give players the outs they need, I'm not surprised all the top players for us this season are Australians.

The mentality looks weak and that's not exactly setting up our young guns coming through. I hope the cup guys take the opportunity to stamp it and make webby think about some that are coming back.
Possibly the reason that Webster is reluctant to promote the younger guys with the current mindset

Last edited:
Everyone as a collective has to get some perspective. This is sport. A team sport. A club sport. A business. Entertainment. They are contracted. It's well paid. Go out everyday and get paid handsomely to do something that involves travel, money, playing, gym time, media adoration at times, celebrity status.

Poor blokes. Now harden up in defence. Get more organised on field. Get some new moves, some long range moves. Sort your bench. Get out there and win.

Either way, hope we can score more and concede less going forward, no biggie 😅
You might be half joking but this is our problem, inability to score with plenty of opportunities in opposition red zone. Getting physically dominated and defensive lapses wouldn't be an issue if our attack wasn't so inept, which I put down to our halves, and maybe SJ playing on one leg, and our rookie centre. One or two more tries in each game and we'd have won most of them.

Back