Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html
Honestly our peak last year was when Metcalf was fit and Afoa starting, with 4 bench forwards, when the bench went down to 3 forwards we went really meh for over a month and the only great game we played was the Knights knock out game
At the risk of coming off as a prick I just need to correct this to ease my OCD.
Metcalf at #6 & Bunty starting occurred 8 times for 6 wins. Our best scalp was the 8th placed Raiders. Freddy Lussick was on the Interchange bench for 4 of these games (3W-1L)

At the risk of coming off as a prick I just need to correct this to ease my OCD.
Metcalf at #6 & Bunty starting occurred 8 times for 6 wins. Our best scalp was the 8th placed Raiders. Freddy Lussick was on the Interchange bench for 4 of these games (3W-1L)

All good.

Raiders was 8-5 ranked 6th at the time, and without Lussick on the bench we were also 3-1 based on that stats 👍

We need 4 forwards the way our pack is going this year IMHO

Bench for just the Warriors games. Opposition minutes in brackets

v Sharks 118/0 (137). Egan could only play 30 odd minutes.
v Storm 87/8 (79)
v Raiders 96/12 (147)
v Knights 143/23 (102). Metcalf injured in the 9th minute.
v Souths 93/8 (102)
v Manly 68/9 (120). The most any of our bench got was 22 minutes in 90 minutes of football.
v Dragons 60/3 (124)
v Titans 96/0 (145)
v Knights 93/0 (112). Capewell injured from the 25th.

From our coaching whanau:

The snapshot from earlier was an outlier for the Dogs. They are doing big minutes off the bench and using all of their players.

The Panthers are generally using big minutes for 3 and keeping Laurie back for injury cover.

I guess Webster is not too happy with the depth at the club at them moment (obviously exacerbated by injury)

Last edited:
Craig Bellamy dominated the NRL and is the greatest modern era coach because he ignored the calls to change his system despite everyone in the competition throwing curve balls at his system, none more so than the Warriors.

Craig Bellamy's system is the most read and understood predictable template in NRL history, everyone, right down to us dumb fans know exactly what the Storm is going to do. Yet they keep on winning nearly every game in a season, they continue being a bench mark, even when they are thrashed in the big dance, what they have because of their system and predictability is incredible, we all know the script, yet they more than any win most games against anyone.

Craig Bellamy stuck by his system despite the NRL changing the rules of the game to undermine his system year on year. Anti wrestling rules like six agains and chicken wing bans did not deter Craig from keeping his grinding boring ass fun killing style of Kung Fu.

If we learned anything from the most structured and systematized club in the NRL it is that you should suck up your losses and continue to deliver consistent football for the long term investment in winning percentages.

The problem with the Warriors is not the system, the problem is that they do not have the pedigree to suck it up and soldier on when their system is failing.

My issue with the Warriors is that at the first sign of trouble they start to fail at delivering the system, my argument is that rather than abandoned that right edge attack when it fails, is that they need to try harder and push at it longer and accurately to to find the short fall.

Quite simply, when we are stopped on our right edge attack we should see it as a win anyway. Because a game plan that put you there is a winning game plan, that you did not score is not the problem, it is just what happens in a percentage and outcomes based exercise, but the more we run that move in a game it means the more time we have won all the metrics to get us there in the first place.
This is why i can see Webster is still an excellent coach, we are inches and yards away from being a success. The template, the plan, the structures are great, this team needs to lean into the metrics and continue.

The opposite of a lot of what I read here about abandoning the plan and and reinventing the wheel.

Swimming up stream around here, but I love the fact that Webster is pissing off lots of fans by sticking to his own ideas. I believe that is the long term solve of our inconsistency.
I can see what you are trying to say, but it doesn't really line up in this situation.

Bellamy has always innovated when the game has changed the rules. That's the reason why they have continued to stay up the top of the table for so long, and why his position has gone unquestioned for 20 years.

The Storm play and have played plenty of football for quite a few years now. They use the full spread of the field and attack you from anywhere as do all the top teams, with a heap of variation in their kicks also.

We only attack in the red zone, and then only use half of the field when we are there. Our kicking game in the opposition half is about as rigid as our attack. High kick right and pin with no contest, noone else in the NRL does this.

I struggle to think of a team as rigid as us in as long as I can remember. So while I see what you are trying to say and could agree if our game plan was more varied. The parallels between Bellamy and what Webby is doing don't really align as Bellamy would never pigeon-hole himself to this extent.

I can see what you are trying to say, but it doesn't really line up in this situation.

Bellamy has always innovated when the game has changed the rules. That's the reason why they have continued to stay up the top of the table for so long, and why his position has gone unquestioned for 20 years.

The Storm play and have played plenty of football for quite a few years now. They use the full spread of the field and attack you from anywhere as do all the top teams, with a heap of variation in their kicks also.

We only attack in the red zone, and then only use half of the field when we are there. Our kicking game in the opposition half is about as rigid as our attack. High kick right and pin with no contest, noone else in the NRL does this.

I struggle to think of a team as rigid as us in as long as I can remember. So while I see what you are trying to say and could agree if our game plan was more varied. The parallels between Bellamy and what Webby is doing don't really align as Bellamy would never pigeon-hole himself to this extent.

Their problem is the attack drills are so focused and limited for the red zone yet they’re still clunky af and predictable after 9 rounds

Back