User Blog The Riverina Pub - The Commute

Blog Topic
  1. Sports
  2. Culture
  3. Life
  4. Yarn
  5. Rant
Hi Everyone

Million Thank you's to tajhay tajhay for setting up these blogs. I plan to cover off in this blog series:
1) Various Life Rants and Yarns
2) Random Thoughts about Sports
3) Thoughts about Life
4) Whatever else comes to mind

Why did I choose the name of the Blog? The Riverina Pub was a bit of a dive in Hamilton East in the 1970s and 80s and sadly closed before I got old enough to go there. Mothers and Wives shuddered at the name of the den of inequity whenever it was mentioned. One of my life long dreams will never be fulfilled as will never get to set foot in that terrific establishment. But it lives on in the name of this blog.
You are all invited to grab a seat, get a beer and read the blog entries and hopefully respond positively.
Blog Rules:
Rule 1: There will be no disparaging of John Wright in this blog by the visitors. He is to be regarded as the great player he was.
Rule 2: Some of my views may be controversial. Not many, most will be light hearted, if they are controversial especially about sports, roll with the punches and recognise you are in the Riverina and have another beer !!!

So with that, lets take you to the very first instalment of the blog...

The Commute
thecommute.jpg

I commute to work a couple of times per week and it is a loooong commute. 40 minutes by train plus waiting time for the train to arrive.

In peak hour to go home to Upper Hutt from Wellington, in rush hour, the trains take us tired-from- the-working-the-whole-day-civil-servants back to the Hutt Valley once every twenty minutes.

But wait, to help cater to the extra demand at 5pm an extra train is inserted right at 5:13pm just precisely at the time those who leave at 5 o’clock on the dot from work can catch the train.

I hate the 5:13pm train and everyone associated with it.

If you hop on board the train at 5:10pm or 5:11pm there won’t be any seats and the passengers who already have a seat snigger underneath their breath at you that you will have to stand for 40 minutes while they got their early to secure a seat. They all apparently hurry to the 5:13pm to get a seat and it is full by 5:08 at the latest and the passengers who get a seat think they are superior to any one who didn’t organise themselves well enough to do similar.

The word Supercilious comes to mind “behaving or looking as though one thinks one is superior to others.” The passengers on that train are supercilious.

The passengers on the 5:22pm and 4:57pm train are perfectly normal. It is just those jerks on the 5:13pm train that I take issue with.

I won’t catch the 5:13pm train now and I advise you if you are in Wellington to avoid it also. Even if I have to wait an extra 15 minutes for the 5:22pm to arrive. I mean they must all leave work slightly early and organise their afternoon around getting a seat on the 5:13pm train. How dare they be so organised and so smug about securing a seat.

“Sorry Kath gotta cut this conversation short as my train fills up fast”.
“But we havn’t finished discussing this important issue Steve and you report to me”.
“Gotta go Kath. Nothing personal”.

If you ever here of a train being derailed leaving Wellington it was nothing to do with me. Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up to 4 million commuters pass through Shinjuku station every day. I first navigated the Tokyo train system in the days of paper tickets and maps in Japanese with only a few signs in English.
We stayed in Shinjuku last year, can’t wait to go back. Was a bit concerned about how we’d navigate the train system, however was very easy - guessing the Olympics that never saw tourists had a lot to do with that. Shibuya is insane, never seen anything like it in my life!

Hi all, just a note im going to clean out this thread

Given that there are plenty of Civil Servants or as Wrighty Wrighty calls them Supercilious Servants being put on the scrap heap by our Govt (hope your not one of them Wrighty Wrighty) then there will be plenty of seats available on the 5.13 shortly

Back