General Best NSW cup or Junior.

Who is the next Berrysiah? the next youngun that rules them all?

• Tanner Stowers Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kalani Going

• Paul Roache

• Setu Tu

• Moala Graham Taufa

• Total voters
Halasima is been incredibly ill disciplined in this game, he'll be out for a few weeks for sure.

I said somewhere that guys like Ali would benefit from sprint training. Basically short steps in acceleration then lenghining the stride to maximise speed. The downside is ot can result in soft tissue injuries loke hamstrings unless they dont train correctly. When you look at Ali at full speed he appears to me to have a short stride for his size.
Fix the movement.
Improve the movement.
Strengthen the movement.

There’s no point doing sprint training if the movement is wrong. If their stride is short, it needs to analysed and fixed in the gym first. Tight hamstrings, weak hip flexors, abductors and adductors out of balance.

A high level sprinter told me that the Warriors brought Zoe’s coach James Mortimer in to do some speed work with one of the younger squads. But when he got there, the boys had already been training for over an hour so were too fatigued to do any true sprint training. The Warriors still have some of those small but important training factors to work out IMO. Dedicated sprint sessions are hard to schedule in with the other training components. And sprint training done in combination with other types of training isn’t really sprint training, it’s just running fast. Same goes for plyos.

Fix the movement.
Improve the movement.
Strengthen the movement.

There’s no point doing sprint training if the movement is wrong. If their stride is short, it needs to analysed and fixed in the gym first. Tight hamstrings, weak hip flexors, abductors and adductors out of balance.

A high level sprinter told me that the Warriors brought Zoe’s coach James Mortimer in to some speed work with one of the younger squads. But when he got there, the boys had already been training for over an hour so were too fatigued to do any true sprint training. The Warriors still have some of those small but important training factors to work out IMO. Dedicated sprint sessions are hard to schedule in with the other training components. And sprint training done in combination with other types of training isn’t really sprint training, it’s just running fast. Same goes for plyos.
Do you think sprint training is better served during the off season? Or a constant thing you train at.

Perhaps fitting it around recovery, drills etc is too hard during the season.

Do you think sprint training is better served during the off season? Or a constant thing you train at.

Perhaps fitting it around recovery, drills etc is too hard during the season.
Speed volume and conditioning in the off season, sharpen the speed in the pre season then maintain through the playing season. So in season it’s high intensity but shorter sessions to keep speed ticking over. Don’t try to get fitter or faster in season, speed improvements happen naturally from your pre season work. Having said all that, if Ali has got a technique issue then they should fix the movement now.

Hard one to answer as a lot more is involved than just the odd 80 minutes on TV we see of these blokes.

From what i can tell we've got members on here like Viking, Fiveandlast, Billyspleen who have followed/ been involved with some of them from school/junior development right through the grades im guessing so would have a better idea of their ceiling.

I havent seen a lot of these guys so wouldnt presume to call out the best. What has impressed me with Laban so far (and its far too early days too predict a 200 game NRL career is just round the corner) is that he doesnt look out of place in first grade......with most codes the difference between grades is intensity, and it doesnt seem to overwhelm him at all.....im picking a few of the other guys on that list probably have more talent than him, and the test for them will come in time is if they can handle NRL first grade intensity week in week out......most juniors dont.

While im picking most of those guys will get a debut, my question to those members in the know isnt whose the best, but given the plethora of junior talent we've seen in our history (some more talented than this current crop) not kick on,

1. Out of those 10 guys who's more likely to have long sustained NRL careers?
and
2. Whats changed (if anything) in our junior development to ensure most of our talent kick on to that level? as historically the odds would say maybe only 1 or 2 of them will ever reach that level and the rest wont.

Five&Last Five&Last i know u were big on Taniela Otokulu who seems to disappeared into the wilderness, why do u think he never kicked on?

Last edited:
For those that have played first grade I like what I saw from Sifakula and note the spelling of his name. Laban would be next after him. I am still not sold on Ali. I like what he does with the ball but still not sure his off the ball work is up to first grade yet. Going to try and watch as much NSW Cup as I can as I want to see what Halasima can do.

@
Five&Last
Five&Last i know u were big on Taniela Otokulu who seems to disappeared into the wilderness, why do u think he never kicked on?
Was playing second row Hastings deering colts last weekend

Back