1. 2016
  2. 2017
  3. 2018
  4. 2019
  5. 2020
  6. 2021
  7. 2024
Signed From
Sydney Roosters, Auckland Blues (Rugby Union)
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Captain
  2. Warriors Player of the Year
  3. Golden Boot
  4. Dally M (Positional Award)
  5. Dally M (Overall)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Tuivasa-Sheck
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/roger-tuivasa-sheck/summary.html
I hope it puts the perspective on the shade thrown at Montoya a bit. RTS kept possession 15/18 times, and Montoya has received some hospital passes at times. Having said that RTS hasn't had much space to work with either.

Wingers need the ball to gain confidence and momentum.

Thought he did well not to run into touch and stayed in in the weekend

Pompey was doing flick passes/try assists to DWZ or going beast mode in the fightback against baby broncos last year lol, and he got passed once by Sloane by pure pace, otherwise no dumb fatal mistackles, and was an ironman playing every single game, I’d replace Berry with him at the stage of the season

Pompey was doing flick passes/try assists to DWZ or going beast mode in the fightback against baby broncos last year lol, and he got passed once by Sloane by pure pace, otherwise no dumb fatal mistackles, and was an ironman playing every single game, I’d replace Berry with him at the stage of the season

I guess you forgot the part where he tugged at Sailors jersey resulting in Montoyas try being disallowed in the final play that would have won us the game …. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂

Reactions: CWC

The untold story of how Tuivasa-Sheck accidentally delivered Manu to Roosters​

Christian NicolussiMay 12, 2024 — 5.00am
Listen to this article
Sydney Roosters fans should be thanking Roger Tuivasa-Sheck for helping deliver Joey Manu to Bondi Junction.
Two of the nicest Kiwis you will ever meet were set to go head-to-head on Sunday afternoon at Allianz Stadium, completing the circle on a remarkable rugby league story, but RTS has succumbed to a hamstring injury.
Tuivasa-Sheck played on the wing when the Roosters won the premiership in 2013. He then joined the Warriors in 2016, switched to Super Rugby in 2022, where he played three Tests for the All Blacks, before returning to the Warriors this year.
Tuivasa-Sheck, now 30, but somehow still looks 17, revealed on Monty Betham’s Once A Warrior podcast late last year how the Warriors had shown him clips of Manu, the way he was given a licence to roam in the centres, and how that was what they had in mind for him.
Tuivasa-Sheck liked what he saw. Maybe Warriors supporters should be sending Manu a little thanks for helping seal the deal with “RTS”.
Anyways, back to the story about Tuivasa-Sheck and how he put Manu on the Roosters’ radar.
You have to go back to 2011, downtown Auckland, where the national secondary schools rugby league tournament was under way. Tuivasa-Sheck was the rugby star leading Otahuhu College, who went on to win the whole thing.
Manu, who was only 15 – three years younger than Tuivasa-Sheck – was a reserve for Tokoroa High School, a lowly bush team with his father, Nooroa, one of the assistant coaches.
According to Manu jnr and snr, there were rugby league scouts everywhere that week, just to catch a glimpse of Tuivasa-Sheck. Manu had heard about Tuivasa-Sheck, but was blown away by what he actually witnessed in the flesh.
Nooroa recalled Tokoroa being shunted to one of the back fields, well out of sight, when a player went down injured. Joey got the call to warm up.
“We were playing against Southern Cross, Joe was a reserve, he was only 15, we had an injury, we tried to find him, and he was kicking the ball with one of the coach’s grandsons,” Nooroa recalls.
“So Joe dawdles over, we sub him in for a centre, he comes on, the game is tight, and the ball comes to him. We were all like, ‘Joe, just don’t drop the ball’. But he dummies, beats the centre, then steps the fullback and offloads. He did those three things, had one more run, then we brought him off. He was on for about eight minutes.
“Then a scout who was in town for Roger, Peter O’Sullivan, came up to us after that game and said, ‘We think he’s got a future’. We were like, ‘Joe? He doesn’t even play league, he plays rugby’. They told us they were keen to fly him over to Sydney for games, and we thought they were kidding.
“He was doing well in rugby. League was played on a Sunday where we lived, and Sundays were for church. We didn’t believe the Roosters until the contract was emailed. That’s when we realised they were serious.”
Manu told this masthead during the week that had it not been for the interest in Tuivasa-Sheck, maybe, just maybe, he would not have been given the chance to spend more than a decade at the Roosters, where he has won two premierships and become a fan favourite.
“I’m glad they all came over to watch him [Tuivasa-Sheck] because I ended up getting picked up, too,” Manu says. “I actually remember that game I played at that tournament. I was up against big Islander boys. I was scared as, and I was as skinny as.
“I also remember watching Roger. Even when we got home, he was all over the news. He was the man. I used to record the games and watch his step. It was crazy to watch.”
Manu would fly to Sydney on school holidays and at Christmas. In 2013, he played more than half a dozen games in the Roosters’ SG Ball side. Nooroa would drive more than two hours to Auckland in the early hours of Friday, sometimes a Thursday night, put his son on a plane to Sydney where he would train at Matraville that night, play Saturday, then fly home Sunday.
In those early years, Manu played with Tuivasa-Sheck’s younger brother, Johnny. The pair, along with Latrell and Shaq Mitchell, as well as Angus Crichton, were part of the 2014 SG Ball side that took out the title.
“When I was in the under-20s, we’d train against Roger and the first team,” Manu says. “We’d get smashed. We were basically tackling bags for them.”
Like Tuivasa-Sheck, Manu is about to try his luck in rugby. He will join former All Blacks coach Ian Foster and coaching legend Steve Hansen at Japanese side Toyota Verblitz. The big dream will be to represent the All Blacks at the 2027 World Cup.
Nooroa was in Sydney when his son made the decision to leave the Roosters, and was providing quotes for a Toyota Verblitz press release. The love that immediately flooded online from Roosters fans reacting to the news was overwhelming.
“It was actually sad – it felt like a funeral with all the tributes,” Nooroa recalls.
Manu jnr has resisted letting his mind wonder just yet. He has been in regular contact with Hansen, who told this masthead last month, “he couldn’t say yes quick enough” when they got word Manu could be available. Hansen even referenced the great Sonny Bill Williams, saying: “Joey and Sonny are excellent athletes, and there’s no reason he can’t be a similar success.”
Manu and Tuivasa-Sheck caught up at Sydney Olympic Park earlier this season when the Warriors were preparing for a game, and the Chooks booked in for a one-day training camp.
“I spoke to Roger about the switch, what it was like, and he shared a few things, including what he enjoyed and the challenges,” Manu says. “I want to give rugby a crack. If I don’t do it now, I’ll never do it.
“Going to Japan with Steve and Ian Foster, I basically want to learn the game. That’s all I’m focused on. I’m not focused on what’s down the track and trying to play for the All Blacks. I just want to learn.
“I’m not nervous at the moment. It will be good; I know it will be. I’ll enjoy the Japanese lifestyle and be able to work on my craft. I’d love to be there with the All Blacks in 2027, but I want to do a few things before that. Hopefully they change the [NZR eligibility] rules.”
Those who want to pull on the famous Al Blacks jersey must be playing for a local franchise in Super Rugby. Manu’s deal in Japan is for 2025 and 2026, which still gives him time to prepare for the World Cup.
It would be another remarkable achievement that would make the whole family – Nooroa, mum Darnel, older brother Denzil, sister Tiare and younger twin brothers Kani (who plays for the Corrimal Cougars in the Wollongong competition) and Brooklyn (who is embarking on a church mission) – extremely proud.
For now, he has a real chance of bowing out of the NRL with a third NRL premiership ring.
If he does, Manu, and Roosters fans everywhere, might just have RTS to thank.
NRL is Live and Free on Channel 9 & 9Now
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.