Warriors

Kickoff In:

Suncorp Stadium

Sunday
Afternoon
15:50

Panthers

Team Lists

Our injury toll is absurd, combined with covid trashing our reserve depth the impact is obvious. Really unfortunate we didn't pick up a couple more wins considering we lost so many games by 6 or less, but it is what it is. People wanting to throw the baby out with the bath water are hysterical over reactors.

Unfortunately, the injury toll is reality and we're going to get rolled this week barring a miracle. A win would be heroic, tbh beating the game line of 13.5 would be pretty impressive.

I would blame the club for not having someone who can kick the ball if SJ goes down, but we had Metcalf and CHT so what can you do.

Wrighty

Contributor
I think Taine would still play fb and Rog stays centre or wing. Would have liked to see how he goes at right centre while Berry's out but not to be.
If CNK did turn out to be a six who is a step up from TMM/CHT/and Metcalf that would be the answers to all our prayers.
I think even if initially he put Taine at Fullback eventually common sense would prevail even if they took until round 1 2025.

In terms of if CNK will carve at stand off - here is an analysis out of my wazoo.

Distribution skills of CNK 6 out of ten. No better than TMM or CHT. Arguably worse than both. Probably better than Luke though.
Running game. Second to Metcalf. He will be touch better than TMM and CHT.
Defence - he will be the top option we have defending. But that although important is not important in choosing which half to play.
Kicking - he has no kicking game,

So I guess I am saying we will see a solid performance but nothing getting into the 8 out of ten category or above. Anyway as others have mentioned we won't know the back line up until the game starts.

If CNK did turn out to be a six who is a step up from TMM/CHT/and Metcalf that would be the answers to all our prayers.
I think even if initially he put Taine at Fullback eventually common sense would prevail even if they took until round 1 2025.

In terms of if CNK will carve at stand off - here is an analysis out of my wazoo.

Distribution skills of CNK 6 out of ten. No better than TMM or CHT. Arguably worse than both. Probably better than Luke though.
Running game. Second to Metcalf. He will be touch better than TMM and CHT.
Defence - he will be the top option we have defending. But that although important is not important in choosing which half to play.
Kicking - he has no kicking game,

So I guess I am saying we will see a solid performance but nothing getting into the 8 out of ten category or above. Anyway as others have mentioned we won't know the back line up until the game starts.
Agree it will be interesting to observe this CNK/Taine experiment and what a dilemma if it actually comes off in the weekend.

Wrighty

Contributor
Agree it will be interesting to observe this CNK/Taine experiment and what a dilemma if it actually comes off in the weekend.
I would have preferred they named Taine to 6 then we could have left CNK unchanged at fullback from a combinations perspective.
If Taine really is playing 6 and this is smoke and mirrors like normal then I wish we wouldn't do that. It is against NRL rules for team list naming. I looked them up. Playing shell games with your team line up to last minute switcheroos to confuse the opposition is not supposed to be allowed. Even though it isn't enforced ever. The Warriors are the only team that break the rules on purpose.

I would have preferred they named Taine to 6 then we could have left CNK unchanged at fullback from a combinations perspective.
If Taine really is playing 6 and this is smoke and mirrors like normal then I wish we wouldn't do that. It is against NRL rules for team list naming. I looked them up. Playing shell games with your team line up to last minute switcheroos to confuse the opposition is not supposed to be allowed. Even though it isn't enforced ever. The Warriors are the only team that break the rules on purpose.
They may switch it up during the game but expect CNK to spend at least some of the game at five-eighth. Webby has mentioned his positional switch in an article on nrl.com today so I would doubt it is entirely smoke and mirrors.

I'm interested in this halves combination. I'm hoping Taine plays 6, assuming he is up to the defensive challenge. CNK does seem like a more solid choice for that reason but I think that creates other issues when we are moving three spine players instead of two. Can't wait to see how we line up on GameDay. I'm hoping we see a more even share of possessions and field position for the two halves. When SJ comes back it's likely to change back to him being heavily dominant regardless of who is at 6. If we can show that having more equitable use of the ball between halves works maybe that can change?

I'm sure it's not officially allowed but I seriously doubt the Warriors are the only club that ignores that caveat (which, yes, maybe the NRL should come down on, maybe announce it as of Round Whenever..., the argument being they're making a small income from Fantasy and it's more transparent for the fans and anyway doing shell games is often fairly obvious to the opposition: who's going to shift when and why and do what etc so why bother with the shells). Everybody would surely exploit that as and when it suited. If we do it more than anyone, that to me just shows how unsettled the team have always been in terms of combinationse. The most the NRL can do is make sure Taine's wearing 1 and Charnze is wearing 6 when they go out and they line up where they're supposed to. Once the game starts and players shift around to suit the gameplan/game situation, what can the NRL say? If I was an NRL coach I'd say "Absolutely, make me stick to my 21 TLT Players and if you want, make me play them where they're listed on TLT. But once the whistle goes, naff off."
I doubt any fan's going to sue the NRL for coming 2nd on the Overall Table for NRL Fantasy, but stranger things have happened, I guess.

Wrighty

Contributor
I'm sure it's not officially allowed but I seriously doubt the Warriors are the only club that ignores that caveat (which, yes, maybe the NRL should come down on, maybe announce it as of Round Whenever..., the argument being they're making a small income from Fantasy and it's more transparent for the fans and anyway doing shell games is often fairly obvious to the opposition: who's going to shift when and why and do what etc so why bother with the shells). Everybody would surely exploit that as and when it suited. If we do it more than anyone, that to me just shows how unsettled the team have always been in terms of combinationse. The most the NRL can do is make sure Taine's wearing 1 and Charnze is wearing 6 when they go out and they line up where they're supposed to. Once the game starts and players shift around to suit the gameplan/game situation, what can the NRL say? If I was an NRL coach I'd say "Absolutely, make me stick to my 21 TLT Players and if you want, make me play them where they're listed on TLT. But once the whistle goes, naff off."
I doubt any fan's going to sue the NRL for coming 2nd on the Overall Table for NRL Fantasy, but stranger things have happened, I guess.
It's not that it's an inconvenience to fantasy players. They have team list tuesday to create transparency with fans and media. Cricket is different they announce 14 players and they look at the pitch on the day and announce the final team to the public ten minutes before the game. It is a real detractor for fan engagement in cricket as you can't speculate on whether your team will win or not or even bet on the TAB properly because you don't know who is playing the night before.
Rugby league with its Team list Tuesday has a great move that puts League as a news moment during the middle of the week. It is terrific media management and great for the fans. I don't know for sure that the warriors are the only team that plays shell games but I personally havn't seen the other teams do it and I looked up the rules for team list tuesday and what the Warriors are doing is against the Team List rules and breaks their fiduciary duty to cooperate with instructions from NRL head quarters. It is not a good look and is insubordination or if innocent then ignorance and non awareness of the rules.

My best guess is Round 20 2021 - we beat the tigers 18-16 with the following players out (listed in a pseudo team):

1. RTS
2. Fus
3. Berry
4. Murchie
5. Xxx
6. CHT
7. Townsend
8. Lodge
9. Egan
10. AFB
11. Frei
12. Ah Mau
13. Tohu
Fuck I remember that game vaguely. Huge day. Was an average season too wasnt it?

The sentiment is bang on from Gimli.

Surprised so many fans are exited about our messed up NLR line up like it is a good thing.

That said I am excited for the players and obviously want them to do better than what we have fielded.

The stink thing is that without SJ none of them will get fair and decent trial....yeah thats right this is a experimental NSW cup trial game.

Nothing more, nothing less.
I appreciate the sentiment, but the grandmaster Yoda wise one routine gets tiring when you keep getting beaten. And that hubris has prevented you from asking the question, why are fans more excited to see this line up over our "top" 13?? Strikes me a bit like Webby's mentality, forgetting the utmost important thing; winning is everything.

“Are we happy with the way we want to do things? Yes. Are we doing it? No. So I’ve got to get creative, install the confidence and get excited to make these guys excited about doing it.

Translation: There's nothing wrong with my plan... :cautious::cautious:

“Are we happy with the way we want to do things? Yes. Are we doing it? No. So I’ve got to get creative, install the confidence and get excited to make these guys excited about doing it.

Translation: There's nothing wrong with my plan... :cautious::cautious:

You have to take these articles with a grain of salt - all coaches make out like they know what's going on - until they don't like Seibold in the finals days of his Brisbane stint "I'm pretty sure I'm the right guy to coach this team...." - then they get sacked

Back