NRL NRL Expansion

I lived there for around 3 months doing some fifo work and it was rough. I have absolutely nothing against the locals as the majority were super friendly, but I can’t see high profile players getting used to the lifestyle over there.
Met some of the PNG players a few years ago. A few were really friendly, the rest did not speak English & were quite stand offish which is to be expected. If they are based in FNQ i can see a few problems & not necessarily caused by the PNG guys.

I lived there for around 3 months doing some fifo work and it was rough. I have absolutely nothing against the locals as the majority were super friendly, but I can’t see high profile players getting used to the lifestyle over there.
Can't they just make Justin Olam captain and source the team all from PNG players and come to an agreement with the NRL that unlike New Zealand they get first choice over their catchment products

Can't they just make Justin Olam captain and source the team all from PNG players and come to an agreement with the NRL that unlike New Zealand they get first choice over their catchment products
Good idea Wrighty but wouldn't all NRL teams have to be run the same way. Could cause problems for PNG players wanting to switch teams in the future or PNG youngsters only wanting to play in an Aussie or Nz team.
Would it work tying them down to such an exclusive option?

Good idea Wrighty but wouldn't all NRL teams have to be run the same way. Could cause problems for PNG players wanting to switch teams in the future or PNG youngsters only wanting to play in an Aussie or Nz team.
Would it work tying them down to such an exclusive option?
They can work it so you need to play your first year and contract with PNG then be available for other teams after that.

Yes other jurisdictions would be envious but it is an exception based on how hard it will be for them to recruit.

Sounds like from the article some of the $600M should go towards more police and security.

And this is happening in PNG for the wrong reasons!

Too fucken late australia! You have had years to be a true partner with PNG but all of a sudden they turn to China and you think an NRL team will keep them on side?

New zealand and Christchurch must be the 18th team!

Strengthen the areas that are already doing well.

Is it now going to be a team based exclusively in Port Moresby? If so that has changed from the original proposal which was to base the team in Cairns and travel over to Santos stadium for half the home games with the other half played at an upgraded Barlow Park.

Is it now going to be a team based exclusively in Port Moresby? If so that has changed from the original proposal which was to base the team in Cairns and travel over to Santos stadium for half the home games with the other half played at an upgraded Barlow Park.
The article said a team based in PNG

Sounds like from the article some of the $600M should go towards more police and security.
The new Caledonia issues are a worry about what could happen…

But $600m = $60m per year. Allowing $15m for the cap/ coaching staff/ juniors, etc that’s a heap left over to make it all work behind the scenes.

I could see a combination of:

1 - a significant gated community that the teams, visiting teams and security live in. A resort style enclave with shops, schools, golf course, entertainment, etc.

2 - special secure coaches that transport between the enclave, airport and ground.

3 - a marque player salary cap dispensation to entice stars.

4 - a special draw - eg you spend 2 months of home games in PNG and then 2 months of away games in Australia where they don’t return home. If the preseason was also Australia based (or split) it could be a 4 month commitment in PNG for a season and the rest Australia based for foreign players.

5 - investment in the stadium and particularly security.

You could set it up so players commit to a minimal timeframe in PNG, don’t mix with the locals and are fully secure travelling between destinations with a decent quality and safe lifestyle in a ‘bubble’. Sure the elite players won’t go there, but for those that do would have big income or an opportunity with guaranteed safety.

Back