NRL NRL Round 6, 2024 Discussion

IMG_1274.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1273.jpeg
    IMG_1273.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 28
Anyone see the nrl shoot themselves in the foot by revealing the penalty stats today?

Showed that the raiders were offside another 10 times and titans another 28 times that the ref didn’t call.

Isn’t that fucked? What other sport has such subjective officiating? If that’s not game management then I don’t know what is.

Shocking really
I would be interested to know how the independent stats provider can determine those numbers?

There was also a stat that the average 10m for each side was actually 10.6m

Having these stats implies that there is another feed of the game other than what we see on the TV because one never gets a shot that consistently shows the 10m or breaches of it

Anyone see the nrl shoot themselves in the foot by revealing the penalty stats today?

Showed that the raiders were offside another 10 times and titans another 28 times that the ref didn’t call.

Isn’t that fucked? What other sport has such subjective officiating? If that’s not game management then I don’t know what is.

Shocking really

I think the argument for letting this stuff slide is to have a more free flowing game.

But there are so many points against this mentality.

You've pointed out the subjectivity, which opens the officiating team to being accused of being bias.

But also, by letting these errors slip, aren't you just catering to sloppy and erroneous play?

I think the argument for letting this stuff slide is to have a more free flowing game.

But there are so many points against this mentality.

You've pointed out the subjectivity, which opens the officiating team to being accused of being bias.

But also, by letting these errors slip, aren't you just catering to sloppy and erroneous play?
So whats the alternative?

We stop the game and blow penalties everytime your 9.98 metres back instead of 10? Or everytime a Defensive line leaves 0.21111 of a second early before the play the ball?

They already have a code for that and its called Union and its boring as fuck and dying from what i can see........and ridiculously at anytime in any play they could probably find 100 different infringements......i never want to see us go down that track.

I know its frustrating when the obvious ones are missed but i think if u start micro reffing every possible detail you end up messing with the fabric of the game and pretty soon u wont have a spectacle.

We stop the game and blow penalties everytime your 9.98 metres back instead of 10? Or everytime a Defensive line leaves 0.21111 of a second early before the play the ball?

They already have a code for that and its called Union and its boring as fuck and dying from what i can see........and ridiculously at anytime in any play they could probably find 100 different infringements......i never want to see us go down that track.

I know its frustrating when the obvious ones are missed but i think if u start micro reffing every possible detail you end up messing with the fabric of the game and pretty soon u wont have a spectacle.
It is really damned if you do and damned if you don't

However if you do then it wouldn't take long for coaches and teams to get their act together and play to the ref's requirements

It is really damned if you do and damned if you don't

However if you do then it wouldn't take long for coaches and teams to get their act together and play to the ref's requirements

For me, as long as a game is officiated the same for both teams I'm not really too fussed if they let everything go, or ping everything (within reason of course).

Already we've seen a few times this year loads of forward passes let go for both teams, then we get the occasional forward pass called against us. I think last week against the Rabbit's we were called for a forward pass that actually went backwards, yet they (and us) had way worse ones not given. Or then were the team who gets penalized for things other teams usually don't - the interference call where we lost our review with Capewah, or last year SJ getting penalized for taking the kick off 30cm off the mark...

If staying onside is gonna ruin the game then they need to change to let the ref stand further forward e.g. 7, 8m instead of 10m and keep it standardized.

Now it's basically saying if you're offside as a team, in a line and don't have someone rushing up, you're fine, then the ref could randomly pin the whole team at the end of the game to create drama

I'd be interested to know if it's a one off in that game or it's the same across the field

To me it’s just says that teams who push the envelope will win every time because they know the ref has to keep the officiating somewhat even. So a team who infringes 25 times and gets pinged 10 is still winning over the team that infringes 10 times and gets pinged 7. . As long as the team are somehwat evenly matched.

No wonder the fucking storm win every single tight contest.

This one is really hard for me to swallow. I get the idea of trying to keep the game free flowing but it’s not so much how many time the ref decides to ping you but when. We’ve seen so many times this year we’re we’ve been really disciplined but the ref will give a reliving penalty to the opposition when we have them completely stranded in their half at crucial time of the game. Evening up the penalty count at that point has such a bigger bearing on the game then giving us a 6 again on the first tackle to balance it out.

Name one other sport that is officiated like this? As someone else pointed out, why don’t they just enforce it every time so teams pull their heads in and play by the rules. Missing 38 offsides in one game is fucking wild. How many ruck infringements do they miss.

Name one other sport that is officiated like this? As someone else pointed out, why don’t they just enforce it every time so teams pull their heads in and play by the rules. Missing 38 offsides in one game is fucking wild. How many ruck infringements do they miss.
Soccer enforce their offside rule and it works well. One millimeter offside is offside.
Missing 38 offsides indicates at least half the game was played with a team offside. Worse still is to the penalise a critical offside play when others have been let go.

Soccer enforce their offside rule and it works well. One millimeter offside is offside.
Missing 38 offsides indicates at least half the game was played with a team offside. Worse still is to the penalise a critical offside play when others have been let go.

It’s what we’ve hard core fans have known for years. NRL games are 100% managed.

I don’t think there’s another fan base in the world for any other sport that mistrusts refs as much as league fans. There’s good reason as well. NRL games are 100% managed. Not the result, or who wins and who doesn’t but the way it’s officiated means one time will have a massive leg up.

One week it could be your team and another the opposition.

Btw do the warriors have the worst home ground advantage in the NRL? Never feels like we dominate the whistle unlike say the panthers, Manly or the Storm at home.

I still can't work out what Annesley was trying to achieve by saying that.

Now you have a narrative that the female ref is no good, when the reality is those would be the same stats across every game.
maybe they are trying to justify letting badger go. Shes pretty much been terrible in the box and on the field. A few years ago, they got rid of her husband after he made some pretty bad calls late in the season. I remember one when hiku was knocked out cold against Newcastle and he let Newcastle play on.

the other female ref belinda clarke seems pretty good from the few times I've seen her, im sure there is upper and comers in the female ranks that are heads and shoulders above badger

maybe they are trying to justify letting badger go. Shes pretty much been terrible in the box and on the field. A few years ago, they got rid of her husband after he made some pretty bad calls late in the season. I remember one when hiku was knocked out cold against Newcastle and he let Newcastle play on.

the other female ref belinda clarke seems pretty good from the few times I've seen her, im sure there is upper and comers in the female ranks that are heads and shoulders above badger

I didn’t know you could say things like that as a coach and get away with it. We should have got x times more penalties, opposition were doing this that and breaking rules etc.

The million dollar question.

Would you rather have a shit game played well, or a good game played shittily?

We could put a higher bar on the expected quality of player within the game, but that would rely on a larger pool of players to choose from. Agreed on the yawnion point.

We could leave these rulings subjective, but then you're always going to question why one thing someone else's team did was let go and why your team was penalised for the same thing.

Were we better off without the bunker showing us very precise details in a game that relies on subjective ruling?

I can cop the occasional "They missed that!?" Moment if the alternative is the whistle being blown as often as it is in an AFL game and the Video Ref being even more involved than they are currently.
I just want consistency from Minute 1 to Minute 80 in any Match. See 11m as acceptable 10m, Mr/Mrs Match Official? Fine. Keep that as your guide for the entire game. Don't suddenly go "oh, I've got wrong" and change it during the game. I can live with the leniency/tightness being shown by the MOs...

I can cop the occasional "They missed that!?" Moment if the alternative is the whistle being blown as often as it is in an AFL game and the Video Ref being even more involved than they are currently.
I just want consistency from Minute 1 to Minute 80 in any Match. See 11m as acceptable 10m, Mr/Mrs Match Official? Fine. Keep that as your guide for the entire game. Don't suddenly go "oh, I've got wrong" and change it during the game. I can live with the leniency/tightness being shown by the MOs...

Amen brother.

All the people want is consistency. If you're going to ref shit, ref it consistently shit for both teams.

Badger is horrible.

Belinda Clarke is great, Kara Lee Nolan is good too (Reffed the NSW cup game at Mt Smart last week, easy on the eye, former hurdler).

Hopefully we see more women Refs, good ones like those two, we need different personality types in charge, too many of these blokes either enjoy the attention too much, or they like being the prick that decides the outcome.

Badger is horrible.

Belinda Clarke is great, Kara Lee Nolan is good too (Reffed the NSW cup game at Mt Smart last week, easy on the eye, former hurdler).

Hopefully we see more women Refs, good ones like those two, we need different personality types in charge, too many of these blokes either enjoy the attention too much, or they like being the prick that decides the outcome.
The guys definitely like being on the big stage.
Going back many years.
Nothing has changed.

It was really stupid for the NRL to come out and admit that about the potential penalty numbers.

Every man and their dog knows that not every play can be called. Because it would ruin the flow of the game.

The way I see it the refs will blow it if you intentionally get involved in the play, especially A&B defenders on each side of the ruck. They will also give you a buffer for less intentional further out, as in same player lazy to get back twice or a third time will get pinged rather than the first time if it doesn't directly affect the play.

The NRL is currently being played at an absurd speed compared to pre covid-six again era with the wrestle. I don't envy any of the refs, they are being setup to fail by removing the second ref and continuously speeding up the game.

Bit of a rant, but it all comes back to the ref of the day working out the flow of the current game/conditions they are reffing.

The game is played at break neck speed, it's extremely tough on them whether people agree or not.

Back