Signed From
Brisbane Broncos
Current Club
New Zealand Warriors
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Status
Active
Really hard for TMM and the team in general to build cohesive combinations when SJ isn't training. The timing is off across the board, not just on the left and that's not going to change until SJ is back to full participation during the week.

John Nick

Contributor
The bulk of halves tackles are edge backrowers on a short flat ball or an unders to try get a quick ptb.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Keary is another 6 getting out of the game

Injuries and head knocks.
Edge forwards are bigger than a few middles.
Kolotoatu Kikau etc

Started off the game not looking too flash tbh. Kicking wasnt great and our sets lacked the polish on them.

Got better as the game went on tho and that 2nd half his taking the ball to the line and some nice subtle touches and selective passing was absolutely top shelf,

I think it is more him that has to impose himself on a game tho. Against the chooks SJ got tackled right of the sticks opening up the left side, perfect oppertunity for him to organize his edge and have a crack, was nowhere to be seen, Egan was even looking for him from dummyhalf, ended up having to give it to Charnze sweeping around to right with nothing on.

Hopefully that Penrith display gives him (and the team) confidence that yes we do have a genuine attcking option and he starts owning that edge when we're back to full strength.

Last edited:

ToiletDuck

Contributor
Best game for us he has played. Hopefully proves to himself that he can play in the halves at an NRL level and dominate. He has basically been invisible all season outside of the Rabbits game.

If the game plan isn't already being re-jigged to involve both Shaun and Te Maire then I don't know what to say. This is the way forward.

Best game for us he has played. Hopefully proves to himself that he can play in the halves at an NRL level and dominate. He has basically been invisible all season outside of the Rabbits game.

If the game plan isn't already being re-jigged to involve both Shaun and Te Maire then I don't know what to say. This is the way forward.
Great comment. I have always admired his decision making under pressure. I think he has a great instinct for the game and really suits our team. I felt like this year Egan and Johnson have been wanting to start where we finished last year and have forgotten the work it took during last year to get there. A few weeks as the 7 would be great for us long term

NRL: Makeshift halfback Te Maire Martin stands tallest when Warriors need him most​

By Alex Powell
26 May, 2024 07:00 AM4 mins to read
Te Marie Martin against the Penrith Panthers. Photo / Getty Images

With everything he’s been through in his professional career, it’s hard to fathom that Warriors half Te Maire Martin is still only 28.

Since his debut for the Penrith Panthers in 2016, Martin has played 84 games across stints with four different clubs, been to a grand final, been to a World Cup for the Kiwis and suffered what could have been a career-threatening condition.

When Johnathan Thurston retired at the end of 2018, it was Martin who the North QLD Morons Cowboys backed to take his place in the halves, and fill the boots of one of the greatest players to ever grace the NRL.

Following his return to playing in 2022 after a premature retirement due to a brain bleed, Martin has predominantly been used as a fullback by the Brisbane Broncos, and at five-eighth by the Warriors.

Martin started the 2023 season as the first-choice five-eighth, before a broken leg sidelined him for most of the year and Luke Metcalf emerged as Johnson’s standout halves partner.

Were it not for Metcalf suffering a broken leg of his own earlier this year, Martin might not have even had the chance to take the field before last weekend’s win.

On Sunday though, as an injury-ravaged side took the field against Penrith, Martin was the architect of one of the Warriors’ all-time great NRL victories.

Deputising at halfback for the injured Shaun Johnson in a side looking to avoid a fifth straight loss, Martin laid on three try assists, threw three linebreak assists and made 20 tackles in 80 minutes’ work.

The display was a marked improvement on his last stint at halfback, which came in a 32-6 loss to the Panthers in the opening week of last season’s finals.

And according to Warriors coach Andrew Webster, the difference between now and then is more than apparent.

“Te Maire did that role last year, at the back end when Shaun wasn’t playing,” said Webster.

Shaun Johnson and Te Maire Martin celebrate during their win over the Rabbitohs in April. Photo / Photosport
Shaun Johnson and Te Maire Martin celebrate during their win over the Rabbitohs in April. Photo / Photosport

“The nerves and confidence were completely different last week. He was so confident all week.

With Johnson out for Sunday’s clash against the Dolphins, Martin will continue in the No 7 jersey alongside Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad for one of the unlikeliest halves pairing to take the field for the Warriors.

What’s more, Martin’s combination with Dylan Walker at lock, himself only starting after a late scratching for captain Tohu Harris, was a key standout in the Warriors’ victory.

But speaking on Wednesday, Walker revealed things weren’t straightforward for Martin against the Panthers.

“I thought he did really well,” he said. “I thought he controlled the game.

“The best part about it was [that] he probably wasn’t kicking well at the start. To bounce back from that, laying on tries in important moments, just shows the character and resilience he had during the game.

“His performance in the weekend was gutsy. I think he broke his finger, or hurt his finger pretty early on.

“He’s a tough little bugger.”

On Sunday, when the Warriors host the Dolphins at Go Media Mt Smart Stadium before their first bye of the year, Webster will have at the very least three players back from the inflated casualty ward.

Rocco Berry is back in the centres, while Freddy Lussick starts at hooker in place of the concussed Wayde Egan.

Te Maire Martin. Photo / Photosport
Marata Niukore will also start on the interchange bench for his first appearance of the season.

That could potentially become four players back from injury, after Chanel Harris-Tavita was named on an extended bench in the No 20 jersey.

Harris-Tavita could have returned in the halves and allowed Webster to move Nicoll-Klokstad back to his preferred fullback position.

But despite the options available, Webster is ready to back the side that toppled the Panthers for a second straight week.

“[There was] definitely a temptation. Everyone liked how things went last week, we liked it too.

“We’ll keep it how it is for now, and just see how that goes.”

NRL: Makeshift halfback Te Maire Martin stands tallest when Warriors need him most​

By Alex Powell
26 May, 2024 07:00 AM4 mins to read

With everything he’s been through in his professional career, it’s hard to fathom that Warriors half Te Maire Martin is still only 28.

Since his debut for the Penrith Panthers in 2016, Martin has played 84 games across stints with four different clubs, been to a grand final, been to a World Cup for the Kiwis and suffered what could have been a career-threatening condition.

When Johnathan Thurston retired at the end of 2018, it was Martin who the North QLD Morons Cowboys backed to take his place in the halves, and fill the boots of one of the greatest players to ever grace the NRL.

Following his return to playing in 2022 after a premature retirement due to a brain bleed, Martin has predominantly been used as a fullback by the Brisbane Broncos, and at five-eighth by the Warriors.

Martin started the 2023 season as the first-choice five-eighth, before a broken leg sidelined him for most of the year and Luke Metcalf emerged as Johnson’s standout halves partner.

Were it not for Metcalf suffering a broken leg of his own earlier this year, Martin might not have even had the chance to take the field before last weekend’s win.

On Sunday though, as an injury-ravaged side took the field against Penrith, Martin was the architect of one of the Warriors’ all-time great NRL victories.

Deputising at halfback for the injured Shaun Johnson in a side looking to avoid a fifth straight loss, Martin laid on three try assists, threw three linebreak assists and made 20 tackles in 80 minutes’ work.

The display was a marked improvement on his last stint at halfback, which came in a 32-6 loss to the Panthers in the opening week of last season’s finals.

And according to Warriors coach Andrew Webster, the difference between now and then is more than apparent.

“Te Maire did that role last year, at the back end when Shaun wasn’t playing,” said Webster.

“The nerves and confidence were completely different last week. He was so confident all week.

With Johnson out for Sunday’s clash against the Dolphins, Martin will continue in the No 7 jersey alongside Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad for one of the unlikeliest halves pairing to take the field for the Warriors.

What’s more, Martin’s combination with Dylan Walker at lock, himself only starting after a late scratching for captain Tohu Harris, was a key standout in the Warriors’ victory.

But speaking on Wednesday, Walker revealed things weren’t straightforward for Martin against the Panthers.

“I thought he did really well,” he said. “I thought he controlled the game.

“The best part about it was [that] he probably wasn’t kicking well at the start. To bounce back from that, laying on tries in important moments, just shows the character and resilience he had during the game.

“His performance in the weekend was gutsy. I think he broke his finger, or hurt his finger pretty early on.

“He’s a tough little bugger.”

On Sunday, when the Warriors host the Dolphins at Go Media Mt Smart Stadium before their first bye of the year, Webster will have at the very least three players back from the inflated casualty ward.

Rocco Berry is back in the centres, while Freddy Lussick starts at hooker in place of the concussed Wayde Egan.

Marata Niukore will also start on the interchange bench for his first appearance of the season.

That could potentially become four players back from injury, after Chanel Harris-Tavita was named on an extended bench in the No 20 jersey.

Harris-Tavita could have returned in the halves and allowed Webster to move Nicoll-Klokstad back to his preferred fullback position.

But despite the options available, Webster is ready to back the side that toppled the Panthers for a second straight week.

“[There was] definitely a temptation. Everyone liked how things went last week, we liked it too.

“We’ll keep it how it is for now, and just see how that goes.”

man i hope he can keep it up when SJ is back.

Started off the game not looking too flash tbh. Kicking wasnt great and our sets lacked the polish on them.

Got better as the game went on tho and that 2nd half his taking the ball to the line and some nice subtle touches and selective passing was absolutely top shelf,

I think it is more him that has to impose himself on a game tho. Against the chooks SJ got tackled right of the sticks opening up the left side, perfect oppertunity for him to organize his edge and have a crack, was nowhere to be seen, Egan was even looking for him from dummyhalf, ended up having to give it to Charnze sweeping around to right with nothing on.

Hopefully that Penrith display gives him (and the team) confidence that yes we do have a genuine attcking option and he starts owning that edge when we're back to full strength.

I know you are an SJ disciple. One of the group that followed the Sharks because SJ went there.

But I think the laying the blame at TMMs feet for the lefts failure just got served by two games in a row of TMM not being hampered by Johnsons presence.

One game is a one off.

Two games is a pattern.

It seems obvious to me that TMM is an excellent half that thrives when given situational access to good ball.

He was an excellent attacking fullback for the Broncos, and when he first hit NRL he was one of the NZ talented spine players before the head injuries.

This season Webster brought Roger back to give our left side some attacking impetus.

That side has been ball starved next to Johnson, there has been little to no set up early ball to let that edge attack before their markers number up and strangle them. There has been no platform to show what TMM has to offer (these last two games he has proved he has a lot more to offer with good front foot ball than people have realised).

For mine, if TMM disappears again it is on Johnson. Johnson is the most fed player in the NRL on last tackle plays which is why he is breaking records as a receiver and kicker, Johnson needs to work that out and realise his over feed is the problem with this Warriors team.

The game plan might well be to go to SJ on the last primarily, but surely if he is what we need out there he just watched TMM carve up for a fortnight against two top four sides and is smart enough to work out that he needs to find a way to fortify those gains.

The worst thing about our left edge with SJ in the middle is that when they get the ball it is a shovel on, a default play after the right fails. Roger dances in circles and kills off any chance of structured attacking plays from that side because he often does not have the numbering to flank the opposition defence and set up his winger....all because his service is an after thought shovel and hope.

Come on man, wake up, use the left arm for a change Shaun, and use it early in the fashion that TMM has just proved he is a first receiver fast strike player, rather than an invisible man.

Last edited:
I know you are an SJ disciple. One of the group that followed the Sharks because SJ went there.

But I think the laying the blame at TMMs feet for the lefts failure just got served by two games in a row of TMM not being hampered by Johnsons presence.

One game is a one off.

Two games is a pattern.

It seems obvious to me that TMM is an excellent half that thrives when given situational access to good ball.

He was an excellent attacking fullback for the Broncos, and when he first hit NRL he was one of the NZ talented spine players before the head injuries.

This season Webster brought Roger back to give our left side some attacking impetus.

That side has been ball starved next to Johnson, there has been little to no set up early ball to let that edge, there has been no platform to show what TMM has to offer (these last two games he has proved he has a lot more to offer with good front foot ball than people have realised).

For mine, if TMM disappears again it is on Johnson. Johnson is the most fed player in the NRL on last tackle plays which is why he is breaking records as a receiver and kicker, Johnson needs to work that out and realise his over feed is the problem with this Warriors team.

The game plan might well be to go to SJ on the last primarily, but surely if he is what we need out there he just watched TMM carve up for a fortnight against two top four sides and is smart enough to work out that he needs to find a way to fortify those gains.

The worst thing about our left edge with SJ in the middle is that when they get the ball it is a shovel on, a default play after the right fails.

Come on man, wake up, use the left arm for a change Shaun, and use it early.
Well said and explained