Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
He won't go anywhere it's here or retirement, he has already said he came home for a reason.
[IMG alt="Manu Vatuvei"]https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/data/avatars/m/9/9444.jpg?1122541665[/IMG]

Manu Vatuvei

Coach​

Messages16,773
All the things you guys are saying about him wanting to stay in NZ are true, and it might even come down to the wife refusing to leave...but he is absolutely considering it. We all have an ego, SJ certainly does, and the unwillingness of the Warriors to match other offers coming in will be a factor

I did find this post a bit concerning on the LU forum if there’s some inside knowledge here from the poster? He’s certainly playing for less than he could command elsewhere, hopefully you’re right

There might be something to it. Or people could be reading too much into the comments made publicly by Johnson and Webster.

Webster has said they will wait and see. If he wants a contract they he will have one. Johnson has said he hasn't seen an offer. That is likely true. But I'd say behind closed doors they are on the same page.

The interviews on the news come off a bit like last years the media trying to build tension. Johnson might be playing up to it a bit and having some fun.

Last year we were a bit nervous as it was a big offer. This year it's the Roosters so yes it would be money and likely a decent team. Surely they would be concentrating on Walker first and building the team around him.

I dunno, SJ is on around 600k right? Surely to make it worth his time he'd need to get an extra 200k, I can't see the Roosters going that high for him.

I just hope we don't lowball him to make him consider anything else.

He's probably worth the type of contract he was on or what he was wanting when he left.

It is also a case of weighing up do you pay the player with some serious injuries in his past and on his last years marque money? The next big injury will likely be his last.

He is also more mature now and seems to be in a good headspace. The money he is on isn't what it once was but he's back home, his family life is good and the team is well coached and competitive.

One thing I noticed about Braith Anasta's career or even Benji Marshalls. They got the marque money early on and in the middle of their careers. The later years it started coming down. It is probably a good way to help balance your salary cap so you keep the guys coming into their prime.

He should consider all offers. As Johnson is at the end of his career taking contracts year by year we are likely to be discussing an approach from another club next year.

I dunno, SJ is on around 600k right? Surely to make it worth his time he'd need to get an extra 200k, I can't see the Roosters going that high for him.

I just hope we don't lowball him to make him consider anything else.

I can totally understand him jumping ship if this season goes pear shape and CG tries to lowball him again. 😤

But seeinghim in a Roosters jersey would be weird. I would feel a little disgusted, almost to the point of vomiting but not a full vomit.

He’d definitely lose a few fans and not just the bandwagon ones. Some endorsements too I reckon. So I hope he makes the right decision 🤢

Its better to pay that out rather than wasting 2.4m of your cap over the next 3 years.

It was a bad call for Manly to give that extension in the first place.
100% and they should have to pay for it but instead get to take him off their books. Seems roosters style dodgy.

Sj is the face of the Warriors, last season was a beauty he deserves another year here at least regardless of injuries.
Plus surely people like him and Klokstad should have a job here once their careers wind up.

Last edited:

Hopefully this is the case

Don’t think the money will be much of a factor- he’s already rich.
If he is considering it I think he’d be weighing up where is his best chance to win a premiership before he retires and where does he want to work after footy- sky or fox.
It must be flattering to have the roosters sniffing around and he did say he was close to going there before to play fullback but ultimately knocked them back and they signed tedesco instead.
He’s probably had some regrets over the years watching teddy collect premierships and other accolades.
I’m still confident he’ll stay but our start to the season won’t be helping our case.
I see this as a bigger threat than the tigers offer last year.

If he is considering it I think he’d be weighing up where is his best chance to win a premiership before he retires and where does he want to work after footy- sky or fox.
It must be flattering to have the roosters sniffing around and he did say he was close to going there before to play fullback but ultimately knocked them back and they signed tedesco instead.
He’s probably had some regrets over the years watching teddy collect premierships and other accolades.
I’m still confident he’ll stay but our start to the season won’t be helping our case.
I think the more important thing is the warriors can take care of him post football as well. We all know he will be connected to this club for life, so surely a little pay cut right now is not worth leaving his family again to go to Sydney.

I think the more important thing is the warriors can take care of him post football as well. We all know he will be connected to this club for life, so surely a little pay cut right now is not worth leaving his family again to go to Sydney.
Pay him what his market value is, he is a top 3 half why would we skimp on a quality player and risk losing him makes no sense. Pay up and get it done I say, as every other club would have done already.

Last edited:
Pay him what his market value is, he is a top 3 half, why would we skimp on a quality player and risk losing him, makes no sense. Pay up and get it done I say, as every other club would have done already.
Your right you don't want to lose him, but also the club can't afford to pay 800k plus, surely?

If you think the club will need to upgrade Egan, Barnett, possibly CNK this season also.

Your right you don't want to lose him, but also the club can't afford to pay 800k plus, surely?

If you think the club will need to upgrade Egan, Barnett, possibly CNK this season also.
For me the halback and organiser is still the most vital cog in the engine, SJ would be the player I would least like to lose.

Egan would be a close second, and I agree the juggling act in retaining/signing players must a nightmare..... (for those teams that adhere to the rules!)

Last edited:
For real? SJ was offered to go there as a fullback?

Yeah I’m with you.
If the club is low balling him it’s because we are more cap savvy than before.
It’s very harsh on SJ but he will be 34 going on 35 next year.
He will have a job in some capacity with the club for as long as he wants you would imagine.

For me the halback and organiser is still the most vital cog in the engine, SJ would be the player I would least like to lose.

Egan would be a close second, and I agree the juggling act in retaining/signing players must a nightmare..... (for those teams that adhere to the rules!)

i can honestly see CG giving him unders.... pressuring SJ to take lower so they recruit the likes of JFH and offering retirement jobs after...