Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
i can honestly see CG giving him unders.... pressuring SJ to take lower so they recruit the likes of JFH and offering retirement jobs after...
If we can recover this season and have a strong push into the 8 and finals, at the same time addressing our attack and building a strong squad for next season as a real threat, then this allows a buy in on a slightly reduced contract to create a legacy on the field and options galore off the field.

If we totally implode this season then SJ you do you brother

Look at how much his image and status in NZ has grown last year, taking 1, maybe 2 years in aus for an extra couple hundred K is no way worth it. Dude can go out a hero in NZ regardless of whether we win a prem. If we did win the prem he's in the absolute elite tier with like Hadlee, Mccaw and Carter.

I feel like 2 years at a medium price is win win, think that's what happens if he doesn't suffer a major injury. Guarantees him another 1.2+ mill before he retires.

i can honestly see CG giving him unders.... pressuring SJ to take lower so they recruit the likes of JFH and offering retirement jobs after...

Cappy makes the call on the signings, think what you want of CG but I don't think he's a football hands on CEO. He was for a while there around covid, when we had no management department and a shit head coach, but thankfully we have a proper brains trust in place now.

SJ is well within his rights to explore his options, as are we to offer certain amounts of money. Many guys his age take unders to facilitate the cap (DCE most recent example) at the end of their careers. When SJ packed his bags last time it was because he was told to wait for a contract extension. But the past couple years he's taken unders, I can't see there being too many issues there to be honest.

We really need him for next year, but after that you would hope our next in line is sorted and ready (CHT, Metcalf, Cleary, TMM whatever).

The Aussie media and posters are hyping up the fact SJ is on unders (around $550K) and Roosters can offer way more

The problem is SJ either win it this year and retire or he continues playing till he retires chasing a premiership with the Warriors, he’s still pretty open book with his persona and interviews, he stated in the past it’s not the same winning a title with another team. Also he took pay cut this year to try to win it for NZ, and we have JFH coming next year, and he wants to play for the Yankees I mean Roosters?

I am sure they’ve sorted out deals or handshake stuff behind closed doors because even I can think of it lol, take unders now and have ridiculously overs as a coach and/or commentator salary sponsored by One NZ, or IDK, be the face of Milo or One NZ who can also hook him up with other marketing deals easily which would worth a lot more than getting an extra $300K with the Roosters but have to deal with the whole moving, kids, wife jobs, lack of family support etc etc again, also would the big media there really take him? Wah’s great vs Origin greats….might be able to work for smaller outlets but really? Dude is a legend for the whole nation here

In saying all that, these rumors are good for his re-negotiation though, won’t be surprised if they give him 2-year retirement deal as a thanks gesture also he should still be able to play decent footy for 2 more years

Also saw an article yesterday about Josh Schuster spotted boarding a flight to gold coast with his agent. Saw a rumour too about rabbits, dragons and titans are apparently chasing Angus Crichton. Wonder if David Fifita is going to activate his get out clause? Surely Crichton stays at roosters with his latest form? Someone on the rabbits forum reckons he’s headed there. Sounds like Jaydn Su’a is waiting to see where Bennett goes before deciding where he goes, which Crichton and Su’a may not both end up there at souths?

Here is the Warriors take on the recruitment of Union boys.

Think this has brought to the fore how wrong this is, and always has been that NZ rugby union dictates to the point of schools rejecting rugby league as an option for a pupil to cherry pick the cream of the crop. It’s happened right back to the point where Jonah Lomu used to have to secretly play league on a Sunday when at college, it should be the person and the families right to follow the path that’s best for them

Think this has brought to the fore how wrong this is, and always has been that NZ rugby union dictates to the point of schools rejecting rugby league as an option for a pupil to cherry pick the cream of the crop. It’s happened right back to the point where Jonah Lomu used to have to secretly play league on a Sunday when at college, it should be the person and the families right to follow the path that’s best for them
The cracks are wide open in union! They know how much shit they are in and they have nobody who can bring them back!

Meahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

We have run the Te Whare experiment already in Konrad Hurrell.
He actually reminds me a lot of Russel Packer too.
I think he needs to fall out of the NRL for a season to either come back lean and mean or prove his is a Stomach on legs not worth the investment.

Piri Wepu and Tana Umanga were both good league players from League families that played sneaky games.

I saw Jerry Collins play our code when I lived in Welly.

This bullshit goes back a long way eh.

Fred Allen used to play league for Auckland on Sundays, you would never find that in his bio or a google search, he started out in league....I knew Fred through work, he loved League, but the Union culture in this country erased his league background from anything in media or historical print because he was a Union legend.

These mutants who are the Union need to grow the fuck up and treat league like every other sport in the myriad of sports that attract their players.

Union wankers are proud when a Union player succeeds in cricket...what is the difference?

Sailing too...they promote ex Allblack Sailors as a badge of pride...they are just backwards sister dating sheep botherers.

Apparently Fifita is in talks with Penrith, crazy to think 3 weeks ago people were laughing at any suggestion we should put an offer to him if he became available After watching our backrowers in the last 3 games has anyone changed their minds.
We have some young gun backrowers coming through bro. Sifakula, Halesima, Eddie Ieremia-Toeava, Laban. We desperately need another prop for next year. JFH is a good get. But he's not AFB. We need 2 James Fisher Harris's to match what Addin does for us.