Warriors

Kickoff In:

Suncorp Stadium

Sunday
Afternoon
15:50

Panthers

Team Lists

Fuck I remember that game vaguely. Huge day. Was an average season too wasnt it?
It was a ludicrous season all round where it took only 10 wins to make the top 8 because the top 2 teams were so far ahead and the bottom 2 teams were so far behind. Bizarrely we were still in the top 8 hunt for most of the season right up until Walsh had that off night in Brisbane with the goal-kicking, then we had completely given up by the time of the Titans game and some players who had enough decided to sit down for a rest.

I'm interested in this halves combination. I'm hoping Taine plays 6, assuming he is up to the defensive challenge. CNK does seem like a more solid choice for that reason but I think that creates other issues when we are moving three spine players instead of two. Can't wait to see how we line up on GameDay. I'm hoping we see a more even share of possessions and field position for the two halves. When SJ comes back it's likely to change back to him being heavily dominant regardless of who is at 6. If we can show that having more equitable use of the ball between halves works maybe that can change?

It’s like in cricket where bowlers realize you can’t hit short balls so they barrage you with it all day and you fall into a form slump, once you work out how to hit 6s with the hook shot and refine your game then you will take the next step up as a player. Webby got away with a light bench and non existent left edge last year and he’s getting exposed right now, hope this period without SJ forces others to step up

Last edited:
Well i guess everyone was crying out for something different, and for worse or for better with this line up their going to get it.

But yeah,.....under no illusions, we're not a hope in hell of winning this. That said plenty to watch for to make it interesting -
- TMM forced to step up as the main playmaker
- seeing if any of our young guns Leiataua, Tuapiki, and Laban can impose themselves
- ive evolved into the "we'll get more out of Roger at fullback than centre" camp......if Charnze nails it in the 6 jersey this could become a real proposition
- will the "resilience" ever return to our defence
- last tackle options - kicking game? Never seen Charnze kick a ball ever, TMM even on his best day has a pretty ordinary boot, i understand Taine has been doing a bit of it for the reserves, far cry from the intensity of first grade tho.
- can we show some ticker? If we can make a match of it and go down fighting, that would be a pretty positive result tbh.

Well i guess everyone was crying out for something different, and for worse or for better with this line up their going to get it.

But yeah,.....under no illusions, we're not a hope in hell of winning this. That said plenty to watch for to make it interesting -
- TMM forced to step up as the main playmaker
- seeing if any of our young guns Leiataua, Tuapiki, and Laban can impose themselves
- ive evolved into the "we'll get more out of Roger at fullback than centre" camp......if Charnze nails it in the 6 jersey this could become a real proposition
- will the "resilience" ever return to our defence
- last tackle options - kicking game? Never seen Charnze kick a ball ever, TMM even on his best day has a pretty ordinary boot, i understand Taine has been doing a bit of it for the reserves, far cry from the intensity of first grade tho.
- can we show some ticker? If we can make a match of it and go down fighting, that would be a pretty positive result tbh.

Think the only thing in our favour is that Schneider is also ruled out.

Luai can easily do a number on us, but we should be targeting him.

With a bit of luck, they will be slightly clunky but I don't expect them to need to be at their best to win this game

I'm interested in this halves combination. I'm hoping Taine plays 6, assuming he is up to the defensive challenge. CNK does seem like a more solid choice for that reason but I think that creates other issues when we are moving three spine players instead of two. Can't wait to see how we line up on GameDay. I'm hoping we see a more even share of possessions and field position for the two halves. When SJ comes back it's likely to change back to him being heavily dominant regardless of who is at 6. If we can show that having more equitable use of the ball between halves works maybe that can change?

I'm hoping CNK will push up wanting that ball.

His direct running at 6 could be a huge help to us, particularly if he stays there with SJ back at 7.

Feels a big leap to make that selection though for Webby. It's likely this combo will run out against the Dolphins too. Two solid outings may just sway the thinking over the bye period

Do we think TMM has improved his distance kicking at all? That performance in the penrith finals game last year was tragic where we were kicking like 30m down field. TBF that Penrith was a well oiled machine ready to win it all, this one is a bit rustier and missing Cleary. Still, you can't beat penrith or almost anyone kicking the ball 30m from your own half.

Think the only thing in our favour is that Schneider is also ruled out.

Luai can easily do a number on us, but we should be targeting him.

With a bit of luck, they will be slightly clunky but I don't expect them to need to be at their best to win this game
Target Luai just like Johnson was targeted last week. (not in a dirty way tho)

I'm assuming both CNK and Tuaupiki will both have turns there, which is cool because TMM has been a bit average this year so it gives us a look at two outside of the box potential 6's moving forward.

Jeeze who woulda thought by Rd 11 this year we would have tried a grand total of 10 players in the spine already:

Egan
CHT
Lussick
CNK
Tuaupiki
RTS
SJ
Metcalf
TMM
Roache

For those of us who are good with stats...have we had any other hear where we've had that many injuries or musical chairs
I wouldn't assume that Taime would switch with Chanze - that would be confusing. Let them focus on their given roles for this game before Shaun is available once more.

It’s like in cricket where bowlers realize you can’t hit shirt balls so they barrage you with it all day and you fall into a form slump, once you work out how to hit 6s with the hook shot and refine your game then you will take the next step up as a player. Webby got away with a light bench and non existent left edge last year and he’s getting exposed right now, hope this period without SJ forces others to step up
Indeed. Need our forwards and in particular our edge back rowers and bench to provide some impact. Otherwise, it will be more of the same. Get that right or improving and then the rest can flow from there.

John Nick

Contributor
Indeed. Need our forwards and in particular our edge back rowers and bench to provide some impact. Otherwise, it will be more of the same. Get that right or improving and then the rest can flow from there.
Need our halves to click before we start to see any improvement

I feel Charnz might just play 1 on game day, but if they're serious about playing him at 6, that would mean TMM will be dropped after a few games at 7, CHT will stay at bench when he returns, and Metcalf is not in the conversation till the end of the season anyway

After the bye we might look like
1 RTS
2 DWZ
3 Berry/Ali
4 Pompey
5 Monty
6 CNK
7 SJ
8 AFB
9 Egan
10 Barney
11 Ford
12 Marata
13 Tohu

14 Walker
15 Ale
16 Bunty
17 CHT

I'd personally have Jazz over CHT. It's just weird that line up feels quite different to the one we've been running for the last month lol

Thats the bit I agree with. In the end we didn't win.
I don't agree that it was done and dusted after the first 20. We've come back from there before and we tried this time.
I don't care how much the refs gave us this and that to 'help' us, they didn't do their job as they should have in the first place. We got mauled illegally, it was blatant, and they got away with it. The ref let them. Should have sent at least one off but no.

It's not a guarantee if we caught up with the Roosters they can suddenly find their touch again and blow away, it's a momentum game and if we're leveled our confidence would be different to the first 20min and their players would have a different mindset and fatigue. The Warriors should know this best as they've been starting hot for a few games then once they lost the momentum everything start to crumble

Just too bad we were so not clinical to even cut the deficit to 6-12 and influence the psych of both teams at halftime

John Nick

Contributor
what halves. oh the two fbs.

been a depressing season so far. so much excitement prior to it and small spurts of what we can do, but largely back to the usual warriors programming.
Yes I am starting to think that RTS is only a fb.
I have been impressed with CNK there but for the good of the team needs to move.
Would be interesting to see him at 13.
Just a thought

So I'm just imagining CNK's training from Webby

1) Ford/Barney calling for the ball - pass it
2) Pompey calling - pass it
3) Both calling - throw shape and pass to Pompey
If red sea opens, take it
Pompey/second rower has to be active and call to help the new No.6

4) Nobody called for the ball - run straight like a fullback

On defense
1) mark your man, make your tackles
2) find a decoy and flop like a true playmaker 🤣

I'm interested to see how they line up on the weekend come game time.

Will CNK actually play at 6?
Or will the two (CNK & Tuaupiki) of them swap roles?

I can see Tuaupiki doing some/ a lot of the kicking.

I don't see this (CNK in the halves) as anything that will be used long-term. Even if it works out. I'd say it is more to cover the injuries and due to the issues the team is having. Even if it worked I could see it used for a few weeks and when they get some confidence back he'd move back to fullback. I see this as similar to Cleary in 2011 when we lost 4 games to start the season and he made positional changes to shore up the defense and get the teams confidence back.

Last year when we were winning bringing anyone into the side things would work. No we are losing it seems like most things don't work. This just seems like an option to try and stop the rot. Will it works who knows. Will I have patience to watch if it goes pear shaped? Not sure there may be a tantrum and some swearing before moving off to something less scary like a horror movie or something.

I'm interested to see how they line up on the weekend come game time.

Will CNK actually play at 6?
Or will the two (CNK & Tuaupiki) of them swap roles?

I can see Tuaupiki doing some/ a lot of the kicking.

I don't see this (CNK in the halves) as anything that will be used long-term. Even if it works out. I'd say it is more to cover the injuries and due to the issues the team is having. Even if it worked I could see it used for a few weeks and when they get some confidence back he'd move back to fullback. I see this as similar to Cleary in 2011 when we lost 4 games to start the season and he made positional changes to shore up the defense and get the teams confidence back.

Last year when we were winning bringing anyone into the side things would work. No we are losing it seems like most things don't work. This just seems like an option to try and stop the rot. Will it works who knows. Will I have patience to watch if it goes pear shaped? Not sure there may be a tantrum and some swearing before moving off to something less scary like a horror movie or something.

The last time our FB started at 6 he got knocked out in the first 5 minutes of the game and went to union the week after lol

Back